We are on the wait list for my Beardie! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We are on the wait list for my Beardie!

Finally....we got on the wait list for a Beardie from a breeder in NY State, when the babies are ready at the end of this summer, and when the weather starts to turn cooler, we'll get him (or her). He's coming via UPS Overnight, so we'll have to be home that day, but that's not until the last week of August. He (or she) should be a Sandfire Red German Giant (?) the Mom's name is Helga! I'm excited!

We also got a Bearded Dragon starter kit, made by All Pets, somehow it just doesn't seem big enough, so if anyone has any sugguestions, that would be awesome! (It was recomended by the breeder for a starter!)

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!!!

How big is the tank you have and what supplies?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats! I look forward to updates.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM
is a little "special"

OMG thats SO exciting!!! I cant wait for pics! *hint hint*

What is in the starter kit? Sorry to say, but you will most likely need to return it- the cages those give you are usually too small, and the UV lights they come with are craptastic and can do some serious damage to your lizard. Youre better off just getting your money back, and putting it towards a good set up!

Here is what I would reccomend for an initial set up:
~ A 40 gallon breeder tank or larger. Make sure any aqaurium you get is a "breeder", or 18 inches wide. Traditional fish tanks (12 inches wide) are too narrow for adult beardies to comfortably turn arould in.
~ A ReptiSun 10.0 Flourescent tube UVB light. Do not get any coil or compact light, or any lights that are Repti-Glo, R-Zilla, ect. Those are all aweful lights. You can get a Mercury Vaper light too, but those are a little more complicated. I would just start out with a tube light. You can get ReptiSuns for $30 shipped at Petmountain.com.
~ Paper towel for substrate. Baby beardies are pooping machines, so those are the easiest to clean! When they are a little older and dont poop as much, tile and reptile carpet work nice.
~ A digital probe thermometer, and/or a temp gun. The dail/stick on ones are crap, and they are usually WAY off. You can get an indoor/outdoor probe thermometer that tells you the hot side, cool side, and humidity for about $10. The Accurite brand sold at Walmart is pretty popular. You can check reptile stores or order online for a temp gun, if you want them.
~ Simple cage accessories. Baby beardies arent the smartest little things, and they can get lost in a complicated cage. All you really need is a hide, a basking rock, and a log or stick to climb on. Keep it simple! Its easier to clean this way too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Jess! We'll go ahead and return that then, I didn't think that it was big enough! And it looks kinda cheap!
So we'll just order that other stuff. I'm really excited! Plus the pet store here has reasonably priced tanks, but I'll be sure to take a print out of the size of the breeder tanks so I know what one to get.

I was sorry to hear about Wink...Poor little guy!

In case I didn't tell ya, we're getting our dragon from Dragonz Whispers in NY, they are working on their website, but are really good about getting back to people!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Congrats on him!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Thanks Jess! We'll go ahead and return that then, I didn't think that it was big enough! And it looks kinda cheap!
So we'll just order that other stuff. I'm really excited! Plus the pet store here has reasonably priced tanks, but I'll be sure to take a print out of the size of the breeder tanks so I know what one to get.

I was sorry to hear about Wink...Poor little guy!

In case I didn't tell ya, we're getting our dragon from Dragonz Whispers in NY, they are working on their website, but are really good about getting back to people!

No problem, and good choice! IMO those "starter kits" are just a big rip off. And in case you didnt know, the dimensions of a 40 breeder are 36" x 18" x 18". If you have a German Giant, you might want to go with a 75 breeder though, which is a foot longer than the 40. A good general rule is that what ever enclosure you have should be twice the length of your beardie. And Craigslist is also a great place to get large, cheap tanks!
Ive never heard of Dragon Whisperz before, but its great that you are getting your beardie from a good breeder, and not just getting one at the first Petco you come across. That will make your life SO much easier, since your beardie is well cared for from the start.

And thanks. Wink is doing a bit better now, and he is starting to eat a little more again!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello Earthling

You could also build your own enclosure