We're thinking of getting a Bearded Dragon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We're thinking of getting a Bearded Dragon

There is a breeder near here in NY State who breeds them, he's given us a list of stuff we'll need to get started. He reccomends a 55gal tank, with screen lid, and an under tank heater (it gets very cold here at night) and reptile carpet....anyways..

I'm hesitant to get one, and lord this sounds dumb, I'm afraid of Crickets, well bugs in general really, and I've heard that they bite, are mean, and they stink! I was just wondering how to handle the crickets, and to ask if they come dusted, or I need to do that? Aside from a Five Lined Skink we caught in our back yard in NC I've never owned a reptile. My mother made us put him back in the woodpole, where he was promptly eaten by a copper head. So my experience with lizards is limited to chasing the skinks, and only catching the one! My husband has had lizards before, he now has nerve damage so I'll be doing most of the primary care.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The name of the Breeder is Dragon Whispers in NY

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm sure Jess will be very helpful! (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello Earthling

Bearded dragon make great pets. If you scared of crickets you can try roaches which many people don't find have a smell and can't escape (assuming your have the proper enclosure for them, which is a rubber bin with ventilation) they are also really easy to breed. I haven't personally tried them as they are illegal here but many people have had success with them.

Jess will be able to give you more detailed information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Someday I would looooove to get a beardie! Definitely my top choice for reptiles I want. Maybe in a few more years... Good luck with yours if you get one!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello Earthling

If you don't want to deal with the special lighting requirements of bearded dragons and are ok with smaller lizards leopard geckos make great beginner reptiles as do crested geckos (which I personally am a fan of since they don't need crickets or bugs)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It's not the lights, I'm terrified of bugs...even lightening bugs! Keith used to have a Tokay Gecko, but the baby was afriad of it, he was quite vocal, but a cute little buggy eyed thing!

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello Earthling

Crested geckos and gargoyle geckos don't need any bugs at all. They can and should be on a staple of crested gecko diet which is a powdered food you mix with water. No bugs needed.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM
is a little "special"

YES! ANOTHER BEARDIE BUDDY!!!
Good job Wink... Weve suckered them in.

TweedleDeedle, Im actually terrified of crickets too LOL! Not the small ones, but the adult ones with wing scare me half to death. Its actually pretty easy to avoid touching them: I pick up one of the egg carton pieces, shake the crickets off into a plastic bag, and dust them... Them I just dump them in. If I have to pick them up, I do it with a tweezers.
There are also alot of non-creepy alternatives- Silk worms, hornworms, pheonix worms, butter worms... They are all basically caterpillars. Superworms are great for adult beardies too.

And, unless you are planning on using a thick-type substrate, like tile, I actually wouldnt use I UTH. Beardies sleep like rocks, and they cant sense heat from below, and can get burns without even knowing it... Not to mention they like to hide themselves under their Repticarpet while they sleep! So UTH arent very safe for beardies. If you are worried about night time temps, get a ceramic heat emitter. It goes into your lamp, and it creates heat without light.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awesome! Before we got one from Petco, we did some research, and thought that a breeder would be the best option. As luck would have it, there is one near by, so we wouldn't have to ship him/her. My greatest fear would be opening the box, and as my luck would have it, I would end up with the Yorkie of the Beardie world and he would leap out, and run around the house. I've heard that they are actually quite dog-like.
The Beardie we are getting is a Hypo/Snow (Keith picked him out) I assumed (like a goofball) that they all came in the same color/pattern!

So thank you, worms I can deal with...bugs not so much. Could you reccomend a good Beardie Book? Or website?

~W.C. Fields
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
is a little "special"

Lucky! Snows are SO pretty! Snows and Luecistic Pastels are probably my favorite morphs. My little rescue is a normal morph, but if I could have chosen his morph would have chosen one of those.
And they do have huge personalities!
www.beardeddragon.org is pretty much the online Bible of beardie care. Im Jess4921 on there, so make sure to say hi if you join!
beautifuldragons.com is a great site too.
No books to reccomend though, cause most are out of date.
And its a good idea to get beardie food before you actually have your beardie. Since most of the worms I mentioned are impossible to find in pet stores, here are some good sites to order from:
www.mulberryfarms.com of horn, silk, and super worms...
www.pheonixworm.com for pheonix worms.
And if the price of the soft bodied worms is a little too much, micro superworms from the Mulberry Farms site are great for baby dragons.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."