*sigh* poop eating dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

*sigh* poop eating dog

My dog has this icky habit of eating poop from the cat's litter box. Nothing gets her to stop, unless you actually catch her going to do it. The only problem is, she does this while no one is home. Probably some sort of separation anxiety, right?

Any ways to get her to stop? If we're only going to be gone for a little bit, we close the door to the laundry room so she can't get in. But if it's going to be for a while, we can't close the door because Jinx needs to get in there.

I really don't enjoy wiping poopy noses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My dog has the same taste as yours! We have our litter box in the basement up on a table and after Lacey pulled it off twice and dumped it we hooked it onto the table with a bungy strap. And our other dog Mandy, well she prefers to eat dog poop.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Part of the Pack

That's actually a good idea, ChocolatePuppy! Have you tried to set the litter box on something higher up where the cat can still access it, but not the dog, LilSouthPaw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It's grose, but dog's like the tast of kitty candy ... our dog's like it so much we had to block off an area so the cat's could get to their litter boxes, but the dog's can't.... I would try putting it somewhere that the dog can't get to it, because cat poop can make a dog sick, causing them to have runny poo and vomitting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

I'm no help, but just wanted to add our pooch loves the piggies beans when they land on the floor.

My girlfriends puppy also ate out of the litterbox. I'll ask her what she did..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I know they have something for cognophilia (sp?) called Deter. I know that's mainly used for when they eat their own poo.

Cats don't digest their food properly like dogs do, so the dogs can taste the chicken or whatever flavoring cat food in their poo. Our dog Harley does the same thing and it still sickens me to this day!!

Karen

[

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

When Kali did that we went and bought a covered litter box where the opening faced the floor instead of out...the cat had to crawl under the overhang and then up into the box. He had no problem figuring it out and the dog couldn't get to kitty treats

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!

I'll try some of these ideas and see if it works!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you keep the litterbox in the laundry room, maybe you can get a baby gate to put in the doorway. If your cat doesn't have any physical problems, he should be able to jump it with ease.

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggiemommy
If you keep the litterbox in the laundry room, maybe you can get a baby gate to put in the doorway. If your cat doesn't have any physical problems, he should be able to jump it with ease.
I tried that before getting the covered litter box...Kali jumped the gate or would run right into it and knock it over It might work for a smaller dog though!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Tried that once...Molly jumped right over! She's a boxer, so definitely not little!

Do you think putting one of those cat flaps on the door would work?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
I tried that before getting the covered litter box...Kali jumped the gate or would run right into it and knock it over It might work for a smaller dog though!
LOL! I know whatcha mean. With one of my "furry hefties", I had to adjust the puppy gate extensions so far out that it put indentations in the door casings of my kitchen. Fisty lil pup. Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw
Tried that once...Molly jumped right over! She's a boxer, so definitely not little!

Do you think putting one of those cat flaps on the door would work?
If Molly is too large to fit through the opening, then it seems like it might work ... unless she can manage to pry it open or chew her way through it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I know that if a dog is eating it's own poo you can feed them paw paw or pineapple juice (just a small amount added to their meal) and apparently they don't like that so if it doesn't harm your cat maybe you could try that I've never done it myself but heard it works for dogs every time.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 03:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I guess we were lucky enough to train all the dog's that if there is a baby gate in the door way, or if an area is gated off, it is a no-no and ours could surely jump it if they wanted to (as all of ours aren't small dogs)
Also I wanted to add, that Dr's foster & smith have several products, one is called "dis-taste" but I think that one is more for dog's eating other dog's poo, it can be added to their food, and I'm sure petsmart or your area pet store may carry similar products as well
Good Luck!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I tried the stuff from Petsmart for Mandy and it only worked a couple days. She's leashed now due to a heart problem so she can't eat poop now! Might work for others though.

Tags
cat food, covered litter box, litter box, litter boxes, pet store