2 Questions about dogs......... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Question 2 Questions about dogs.........

Hey Everyone,

I got a puppy about 2-3 months ago, i also have a dog i've had for about 7 years.......
both dogs luv to share their food we got told that Dog food isnt good for puppies.
when my dog eats the puppy food he throws up and its gross.... anyway what i am trying to ask is....Is there any dog food that is good for puppies and dogs.

I also have another Question, does anyone know where to buy harnesses for dogs? but they have to be good qualitie ones.......

thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 AM

I'm actually not sure if there is a dog food that are good for BOTH puppies& adults.
I always just switched over.When my dog Reo was a puppy he just ate puppy food,now hes adult so eats adult...& my eldest dog is on senior& weight management foods.
I got from the vet.Because she is slowing down lots now

As for harnesses....I just bought from walmart
I'm trying to find one of those double leashes..you know so you can walk both dogs same time& not
have to have a leash in both hands...?
Thats actually what i'm searching for on eBay atm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you should feed them seperate probably.. the puppy needs the added neutrients to grow well and the adult shouldnt gain the weight and get the extra fat in puppy food.

the good harnesses you can get at farm fleet stores like blains, norby's and mill's farm and fleet. and tractor supply.

they also have double leashes sometimes...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

kendalle is right ... Puppy food is higher in nutrients & fat than adult food is. To the best of my knowledge there is no "combined" food fr both - therefore it is best to feed them separately.

As for the harness ... you should be able to find one at any local petstore, especially any of the larger chains - ie: Petsmart, Petco, etc. Also ... you can get one online, via the same stores - the place I like best for supplies I buy online is Dr Foster & Smith. (& candyraver ... they have your double dog coupler there as well )

Just be sure to get the right size for your puppy.

btw -- what kind of dog is your puppy?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

It depends on a couple of things...first off, what breed of dogs are they? Or, if they are mutts, what are their weights?

Secondly, what brand of food is each dog eating now?

There are several things you can do, and there are several high quality brands of food that are all life stages foods.

If both your dogs are under or around 50lbs. Innova EVO, or Innova regular adult dog food are both fine choices. You could also do Solid Gold Mmillennia, or Hunden Flocken. Merrick's formulas are great all life stages foods.

If your dogs are larger, the senior formula of Innova for the puppy would be a good choice, and that would also be fine for the adult dog to eat. Merrick would also work as well. If your dogs are over 50lbs. then I would steer clear of grain free like Innova or Nature's Variety until the puppy is over a year old.

Here, check out The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare? and Our Dogs Online: Viewing the portal page these two places will be very helpful for you!!! Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Riddick; 05-27-2007 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Mel

I second the Innova idea. They don't make a puppy food, I don't think...its just okay for everyone.

A lot depends on breed. My Great Dane has eaten adult food since she was little, but that's because Dane's are prone to HOD and need to grow sloooooowly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Innova does make a puppy and large breed puppy formula, although it is good for dogs like Rotts, GSD, etc. I wouldn't feed it to a Dane or a Mastiff because ginormous dogs like that do need to grow VERY slowly just like Mel said.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 PM
laugh often

A puppy being fed dog food can result in their bones growing faster than their joints causing alot of problems and pain in the dogs older years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up Thanks muchly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstybrat
(& candyraver ... they have your double dog coupler there as well )
Thank you!!
I didn't know what they were called
You saved me a lot of trouble searching
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
A puppy being fed dog food can result in their bones growing faster than their joints causing alot of problems and pain in the dogs older years.
not necessarily. Puppy food, especially crap brand puppy food like Science Diet, Eukanuba etc. is way to high in nutrients for large and giant breed puppies, and that causes their bones and body to grow unevenly. My aunts English Mastiff puppy has been on senior Innova since he was 10 weeks old, and the vet said he is in the greatest condition he's ever seen (he's 2 now)

check out The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we feed our dogs seperatly...the puppies get fed twice a day the other 2 get fed once a day (they are a little over weight) my puppies eat puppy food and the other 2 eat senior I was always told not to let the old ones have puppy food...and since the other 2 need to lose a little weight it all works out in the end

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Canidae is a food for "all life stages". It's great food and all ages can eat it.

Tags
dog food, puppy food