5 month old puppy: Peeing issue-Help Needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

5 month old puppy: Peeing issue-Help Needed

Hi All-
I am new to the forum. My puppy, FRYAR, is a 5 month old STANDARD SCHNAUZER. Fry is about 30 pounds now and was born back in June. I brought Fryar home at 8 weeks and have been crate training him since. Since I brought him home I have constantly kept on schedule and monitor his water intake and diligently take him outside (I work from home). A few months ago I noticed he seemingly had no control over his bladder. He would go outside and pee (a lot) then come inside and pee again (a lot) ten minutes later. His first morning urination was always yellow...and then subsequent ones very clear. He is housebroken and has never pooped in my house....but the peeing in the house happens roughly once a day. I also bring him to day school....and they said he has been peeing in his crate, peeing little drops during puppy play time etc. It tends to be these little piddles and he'll even do it in front of me as if he has no control...sometimes its just falling out as he is walking along. I brought him to the vet and had him tested for a UTI. He had a UTI and they put him on Simplicef for 10 days. After 10 days...the behavior continued...so I brought him back to vet and they said his UTI had improved (normal Ph levels)...but that he had a high white blood cell count and possibly still some infection....so nwo they have him on Clavamox. 7 days into treatment on Clavamox and he is still doing random piddles around the house. It is very frustrating and tough for me to put a finger on the issue. He is still a pup at about 22.5 weeks old...but a very smart dog and b/c ive been monitoring the water (a cup roughly in morning, at noon, at 6ish) I dont know what is the matter. The vet and his trainers say they havent really seen anything like it. She said its possible his ureters are not properly connected to his bladder or something? Anybody have issues like this? I'll take him out to pee...he will pee (great about doin git in same spot all the time) and then ill bring him in and ten mins later he looks at me funny and pees again...then runs away from me and ducks under the table and pees again etc. Thanks!! Any help would be appreciated. -Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

I can't help so much, especially if the vets can't only my experience. I had a similar situation it was due to dog food. Two of my dogs got very sick from the food. Started to be chronically dehydrated and peeing a lot. At first they were not dehydrated but one urinating a lot. She didn't drink a ton of water either. She would pee, very dark urine in the morn then like that lots of light or clear. It got worse and worse where she started going more often, had a few accidents inside and then in her crate. She is an adult dog never having did such things before and been fully house/crate trained since a young pup. The vets couldn't give any type of conclusive answer. Although kidney function was off. After a couple months got worse with chronic dehydration no matter how much she drank, basically the more she drank the more she peed like crazy and it was a hopeless situation. Once I switched off her the dog food the problem cleared up, thank goodness otherwise she might very well be dead. She was worse but the other female wasn't far behind her. I don't know what toxic/issue there was with the food but did find out there were other complaints. I know it was the food because of how long she was on it then getting better, not just a coincidence type thing.

Perhaps it is something similar for your dog. Maybe not dog food but from something else. Poisoning from antifreeze can cause similar effects. Often this is deadly but it doesn't always have to be. I had a dog which drank a small amount of some very diluted anti freeze from a puddle of water and then always had less bladder control. He'd have overnight accidents sometimes and had to be let out very frequently and no water after a certain hour at night. Even after he got over the initial issues after sometime it started to get worse even though he was "better", I guess just because of the damage already done started getting worn out. I'm not saying it was antifreeze just that your pup could have got into some type of toxin/poison that is having the lasting effects, just like there must have been something in the dog food. My dogs took awhile to recover to after being off the food. They had a great positive change immediately but took awhile to be back on track.

Your vet could be right about the connection. Some dogs also seem to have frequent urination after suffering UTIs too even once they are over the UTIs. I've heard of it a few times before although I've not heard a vet have a actual reason, just know people who had this happen with their dog. Females can have spay incontinence where they have frequent or simply uncontrolled urination after spay. I realize he isn't a spayed female..lol I am only making the point that there are really a lot of factor that might cause such an issue that vets don't always have a way to control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
peeing question