Activities With Your Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Activities With Your Dog

I know about Obedience classes and things like Flyball or Obsticale Course and Search and Rescue, what other things are there that you do to train and have fun with your dog at the same time?

I want to go with Loki to some Obedience classes to make sure I am doing everything right with him and see if I am teaching him what he needs to know. Right now he knows sit, lay, stay, give me 5 (and you can ask for his right or left foot), give me 10, he walks pretty well on the leash (he isn't walking you at least and knows when I say heel to come to my side when we are walking) but he still has areas of work so I know obedience is the first course.

Does anyone else do special activities with their dogs? What do you think of them? How do you know if it is right for you and your dog? (I'm guessing just try it out and see how it goes)

I really want to be more active with Loki besides just walks or cuddles or playing. He seems to like to learn and I have so much fun doing things with him. I'd love to give him more in life.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:22 PM

Hi! Have you thought about taking agility classes? I did with my dog Katie and it was really fun. She seems to really enjoy it too. When she was afraid to do an obsticle and then finally got it, she seems so excited. I know I was! Its really a fun, positive thing to do with your dog.
Amber
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:26 PM

I want to try Rally-O, it's dog agility, and traditional obedience combined into a new fun sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Is Agility and Obsticle Course the same thing?

Does Obedience just teach the basics, you know sit, lay, stay, come, how to have the attention of your pet instead of them running off at everything that looks interesting to them, etc? Or is there more to it or more advanced versions as well?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 PM

My training center starts with the basics on leash, then works to having the basics off leash then doing things like sit and down at a distance. We also teach the dogs how to use the agility equipment and get them comfortable getting on top of anything they are told to.

I believe an agility course is an obstacle course, but an obstacle course is used in other dog sports, just depending on the sport the actual equipment will be different.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes taking Loki to Obedience class would be a good idea definitely then. I don't know how to teach off the leash so well when he decides not to listen (except to get him and drag him back if he decides something else is more interesting).

Does the Obedience class also help teach you how to keep your dogs attention when other dogs/people are around? We always have to constantly correct him when other people or dogs are around. We tell him sit, he sits for a second and then jumps up to go to person/dog and we have to pull him back and make him sit again (over and over, every time, somedays more so than others).

He's in need of more socialization with dogs. We pass a lot of dogs on our walks but some people stay FAR away when they see he looks like a Rottweiler, others will stop and let the dogs sniff, while yet others he (and/or the other dog) start barking/lunging which gets him a very quick correction (usually me making him heel and sit). If Obedience will help teach me what I am doing wrong in teaching him I'll sign up as soon as we are back from vacation!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:15 PM

So my dog had to be e-collar trained to get over his distraction issues which were really bad. My trainers always say Sherpa wants to do what Sherpa wants to do, and it's true, he used to care less whether he pleased me or not. It took about 3 months before he finally wanted to do what I said, and now he only wears the collar if we are going to be someplace where we could run into small dogs. Not cause he cares that there is a small dog but because small dog owners tend to be scared of him so I need his commands to be sharp and fast. Then I laugh at the small dog owners with the out of control barking lunging dogs while Sherpa is in a tight heel, sit, or down.

Tags
dog owners