adopt-a-thon blues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheels aren't turning so quick ...

adopt-a-thon blues

Okay, so our family decided to get a pug. We started looking for them, and of course there are like no pug rescues or breeders in Utah, cuz well, there's NOTHING in Utah... Anyway, we found one at the Provo animal shelter, but it wasn't available for adoption until yesterday at the "adopt-a-thon" at Petsmart. Alright, so right away, that means competition. Grrr. Well, we went over there, got there before they opened, were the first ones to brave standing out in the cold to get in line at the front door (yeah, we are pathetic, so SHHHH) we went over, saw the dog, got our application in first, (it's supposed to be first come, first serve, as long as you have an accepted application,) and waited... and waited, and waited. Well, we waited for a good long hour for them to go over the applications and pick who got to adopt the dogs. Of course, there were the most applications for the dog we wanted, but we felt okay about it. Well, stupid us! Or stupid THEM I should say! I went over and asked the lady if a family had been chosen for the pug, and she says, "oh, your application was great, and we would have chosen you if it weren't for your other dog." So I say, "We don't have another dog." and she points to the line on the application where it asks about other pets, and Dave had written in "chinchillas." And I said, "those are chinchillas, NOT a chihuahua," and she goes, "oh, well, the dog doesn't get along with cats either." So, in my head I am going, "OMG, and you work for an animal shelter!?!?!" But in reality I say, "Oh, no, they are rodents... They have their own room, live in cages, and the dog would never even be near that room. And she's like, "oh, sorry about that. We just adopted her to another family."
Anyway, it was pretty freaking irritating. LOL.

Does everyone automatically look at the word chinchilla, and think "chihuahua?"

-Avima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Oh Avima I am so sorry. That totally sucks!!

But yeah, from my experience they see chinchilla and think chihuahua.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Awww, that's terrible! People can be so dumb

Good luck finding another dog!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:25 PM

That is awful, I would have wanted to smack some sense into that lady I am sorry that you didnt get your dog.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ARGH!! I'd have NOT been happy! I'm sorry Avima!

Stephanie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That would have made me so mad! I am sorry about that, I hope you find another pug to rescue soon!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

how frustrating!! I would have wanted to bop that lady over the head and hopefully knock some sense into her!lol

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

LOL. Yeah, it was pretty irritating. Now, if she had just said, the dog has been adopted, I would have been fine with it. A little irritated because the dog is supposed to go to the first applicant if its acceptable, but not too irritated. It was when she told me that we would have gotten the pug if not for our other dog.... That was when I got MAD. LOL. I expect about a dozen calls from people asking me about my "puppies" whenever I put an ad in the paper for chins, but I did NOT expect it from someone who works at an animal shelter. Ah well. There will be other pugs available around here eventually. Just have to work on my patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
how frustrating!! I would have wanted to bop that lady over the head and hopefully knock some sense into her!lol

-Avima

href="
target="_blank">

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avima
Does everyone automatically look at the word chinchilla, and think "chihuahua?"
Nope. I see chinhcilla. Apparently the woman is not as bright as one would hope. I just lol at the "oh, well, the dog doesn't get along with cats either." ! Jeez! LOL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ugg, some people! I'm sure you'll find one soon!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

have you tried Petfinder.com? you can try searching for a pug that is in utah and in the other states close by. i live in north texas but got my second dog from southern oklahoma (on petfinder). let us know how it goes!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Yup. I check petfinder every day for new listings. That's where I found the listing for that one. I am hoping to find one at a shelter this time, and not one where I have to go to the Adopt-a-thon. LOL

-Avima

href="
target="_blank">

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i looked on petfinder and they have a pug/chihuahua mix at the Salt Lake County Animal Services. i don't know if you want a pure bred or not.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

No ray and I both see Chinchilla, but you have to admit somepeople aren't as bright or as literate as others. I might not type well but at least I can read. I would have been fuming, and if my Mom would have been there she would have made a SCENE. (Nothing like a Mom defending her pack lol)

Tags
animal shelter, pure bred