Adopting a dog - breed guesses? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Adopting a dog - breed guesses?

Hi! We've been trolling the shelters looking for a dog to adopt and we haven't found the right one for our family yet. I posted an ad on craigslist and someone contacted me with a dog that sounds great. We're going to meet her on Saturday. She sent one picture and I'm trying to figure out what breeds she may be. Any guesses?

The woman said they found her a while back and have taking care of her but they're not supposed to have dogs where they are and she's not home much. She thinks the dog may be a border collie/chow chow mix.

She's about two years old and weighs 32 pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Newborn Pup

I would say a common heinz 57?? If you don't decide on her take a look at petfinders.com
Good luck
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Newborn Pup

I have just joined the USMC, and need to find a home for my dog Panda. If for some reason this doesn't work out post on my page. She looks a bit like the one you posted.

I have a post in the rescue section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am not sure,but she is a cutie.She does look like she may have Border Collie...but I don't know what else.Maybe a type of spaniel? Lab?

Any updates? Have you met her?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We met her and after spending about three hours with her decided to go ahead and adopt her. She's great with the kids! We've had her for almost two weeks now so we're still in the honeymoon phase but she's working out really well.

Here's a blurb about the first time we took her to the dog park. Merry was really good. She was cute, she definitely has a lot of border collie traits. She kept running a circle around us, checking in every couple of passes. She'd guide any dogs that came to close off to play somewhere else. If a dog came over to say hi, she'd insert herself between me or the kids and the other dog and get it to go play elsewhere. She was definitely working to protect her herd (us). It was cute. She had a lot of fun running all over the place. She loves playing with the other dogs after she gets to know them but she definitely doesn't like when several of them swarm over to her people all at once, especially if they get really close to the kids. She chases them off. Once she's properly met them all and determined that they're not a threat, she's fine with them coming over for pets. She seems to make friends with Australian Shepherds more than other breeds, which I find amusing.

More pictures of her:

Merry with my oldest son. He'd fallen and gotten a scrape and was crying and she would not leave his side until he seemed to feel better. That was the first day she was with us.

It's really amazed me how quickly she's bonded with us. I don't think I was expecting the transition to be that fast.

Jillene
mama of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aidan, Ryan and Damon

1 cat - Hansel
and looking for a dog to join our family
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

:-(
We had her for two weeks but ended up returning her to her previous owner. She's afraid of men and kept trying to attack any who walked by us on our walks. She gets very defensive when pet near her hindquarters, especially by children and nips and snarls. She tried getting a neighborhood kid who pet her quite nicely. :-( I'm bummed. She's an awesome dog but not the right fit for us. She needs to be herding or with a family with a big yard without small children.

So now we're back to searching. I'm starting to think a puppy is the best bet because at least then we don't have to worry about a possible history of abuse/neglect causing aggressive behaviors.

Jillene
mama of
Aidan, Ryan and Damon

1 cat - Hansel
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry it didn't work out!
Hopefully you will find the right dog for your family.

Whynot try fostering for a local rescue? Not only are you helping out,you may find the "perfect" dog for your family.It is worth a try.I foster alot and have had a few dogs that would of been perfect for my family,but I didn't adopt them,as I wasn't looking for a dog at the time.

Good luck!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillene View Post
:-(
We had her for two weeks but ended up returning her to her previous owner. She's afraid of men and kept trying to attack any who walked by us on our walks. She gets very defensive when pet near her hindquarters, especially by children and nips and snarls. She tried getting a neighborhood kid who pet her quite nicely. :-( I'm bummed. She's an awesome dog but not the right fit for us. She needs to be herding or with a family with a big yard without small children.

So now we're back to searching. I'm starting to think a puppy is the best bet because at least then we don't have to worry about a possible history of abuse/neglect causing aggressive behaviors.
Eh, most people know so little about training dogs that a puppy stands the same amount of chance of having those problems. In all honesty, the dog doesn't need "a big yard" or "to be herding", she needs training and socialization, like any dog. No dog goes from puppy to adulthood without being taught those things.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Eh, most people know so little about training dogs that a puppy stands the same amount of chance of having those problems. In all honesty, the dog doesn't need "a big yard" or "to be herding", she needs training and socialization, like any dog. No dog goes from puppy to adulthood without being taught those things.
Thats true.
But some dogs are also not for everyone.

I do suggest tho,if your going for specific breeds,then research pros/cons on the breed.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Betta Bomb

Thats too bad it seemed at first that she was perfect! Im sorry it didnt work out. If your absolutley SET on getting a puppy research the traits of the breed(s). IMO mutts are the best and adjust well to all situations. i dodnt think i would ever own a pure bred dog.

I dont agree with you Jennicat since a rescued dog may not have had a bad past it may just have been unwanted but still a really good family dog, yes it does need training and a puppy certainly more than an adult. But if Jillene feels a puppy would be right to start the family then i think we should guide her and not criticise. As long the proper research is done and the training and obedience is right then all power to ya!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Rodentologist

I'm not trying to criticize her. It's just that most dogs with undesirable traits were raised by nice people with families that really didn't have the time or inclination to train them not to be the way this dog is.

So often, people that want a puppy when they can't handle an adult dog aren't that much more equipped to actually train a puppy NOT to be like that dog.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Betta Bomb

true , thats why i stress the whole research aspect of it. if one doesnt want to actually make sure the breed is right for them and their family then theyre ending up with a dog they cant handle and dispose of.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The dog in the OP did not come from a loving family. She was abandoned in a park and the people we got her from had taken her in. It was a woman and her teenaged daughter. They were trying to find a family for her because they're not home much and they're not supposed to have a dog where they live.

The dog is great with women. She is very protective of them and of children. However, she feels threatened when approached from behind or when crowded. She lunged and snarled at every man that passed us during walks. She acted similarly to women in business suits. She snapped at an 9ish year old boy who tried to pet her on her back. She nipped at my children if they pet her on the back. She didn't bite them, it was very much a warning though.

She does have a lot of great traits. She's very eager to please, at the dog park was awesome about protecting her sheep (us) from the other dogs until she'd determined they weren't a threat. She walks well on a leash as long as there aren't any strangers around. She plays well with other dogs after she relaxes around them. She was interested in our cat but not obsessively and she didn't chase him or try to get him at all. She would be an awesome dog for a woman without small children. The nipping and rear end defensiveness had me wary. My 3 boys are all 5 and under so it's harder for them to understand that they shouldn't pet her back because she feels threatened and nips if they do.

I am not an inexperienced dog owner. I'm not going to go buy some puppy from a pet store and expect it to be a perfect angel. I am very much aware of the amount of training, patience and effort is required. It's one of the reasons I'd much rather adopt a 2-3 year old dog that's past all that. However, having just dealt with a dog who showed signs of previous abuse in her various fear reactions, I do worry about that. Having small children, it would be pretty naive of me not to. Yes, training can help. Of course there's no guarantee with any dog that it will have a great temper. But training a puppy, socializing it well, raising it with my children so that it has positive associations with being handled by them rather than fearful reactions seems to me will have a much better chance of fitting in well with our family.

I am still exploring options for a rescue dog. We've been actively visiting shelters since October with plans of getting a dog since March. This is not an impulsive decision. I'm not expecting to find a dog that's already perfectly trained and well behaved else it wouldn't have been surrendered in the first place. I'm fully prepared to handle housebreaking, obedience, manners, etc. However, fearful aggression is not something I want to take a chance with around my 5 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old.

Jillene
mama of
Aidan, Ryan and Damon

1 cat - Hansel
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

I know how you feel.I have a 4 yr old as well.
What kinds of things do you want in a dog? Have you ever considered a rescued greyhound? They are very docile and calm for the most part and wonderful family dogs.Rescues cat and kid test them and most rescues will match a dog up with your family needs.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
I know how you feel.I have a 4 yr old as well.
What kinds of things do you want in a dog? Have you ever considered a rescued greyhound? They are very docile and calm for the most part and wonderful family dogs.Rescues cat and kid test them and most rescues will match a dog up with your family needs.
I have looked into rescue greyhounds quite a bit and am very interested in them. The only problem with that right now is that our apartment has a 35lb weight limit. We are keeping an eye on the house market though and if prices continue dropping as they have been, plan to buy a house. A rescue greyhound would be a great possibility in that case. I think they're beautiful dogs and they're as sweet as can be.

Jillene
mama of
Aidan, Ryan and Damon

1 cat - Hansel

Tags
dog adopotion, mixed breed