Advice on post nuetering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Advice on post nuetering

Hi, my 10 month old sheltie puppy is getting "clipped" on the 8th of April. I was wondering what all we should for him after he gets back home. He is very energetic and when he is outside he runs around the run like a bullet. He also barks and jumps up constatly. Any advice would be greatly appreshiated (sp?) Thanks in advace for any help. He goes in this up coming tuesday, so in about one week.

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Nuetering believe it or not is not all that invasive. He will only have a small incision with a few stitches, or they may just use surgical glue. He should be just fine. It's nearly impossible to try and tell a puppy to "calm down" lol. Don't leave him outside for too long just long enough to do his buisness and then bring him back in. Aslo you can get a book or even look online for relaxing massages for your pet. Rubbing their chest in a circular motion for example helps to calm them down. Other than that just watch to make sure he is not chewing at the incision sight. If he is an E collar or some bitter cream can help with that. He'll be fine tho' don't worry. Good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My pup just got neutered... I couldn't stop him from being the flying dachshund. He jumped all over, licked himself, played with my other pup, and all kinds of horrible stuff the vet told me not to let him do. I just gave up! He didn't have any problems. Just keep checking the wound for any signs of infection such as: discoloration, discharge (a little discharge will happen at first, don't worry), foul odor, etc.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmilla View Post
My pup just got neutered... I couldn't stop him from being the flying dachshund. He jumped all over, licked himself, played with my other pup, and all kinds of horrible stuff the vet told me not to let him do. I just gave up! He didn't have any problems. Just keep checking the wound for any signs of infection such as: discoloration, discharge (a little discharge will happen at first, don't worry), foul odor, etc.
This is exactly what happened with my dachshund . He was fine too, I just kept on eye on him.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I'm not sure how it is with male dogs, but when I got my cats neutered the vet also said don't let them lick themselves, jump around and chase eachother. Well, that didn't work out too well..........at all! How do you stop a kitten from trying to jump? They naturally want to be up high, lol. I tried for the first day, but then just gave up and they're perfectly fine. Obviously it's good to try your best at keeping them calm, but as others said, it's nearly impossible.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Ok, thanks. I will try to keep him calm and not jumping and running as much. He is the worst when we let him outside, thats when he goes haywire! lol! I will try to only let him go out onto a leash and then get him back inside.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well, he got "fixed" on tuesday. We ended up getting his back Dew claws off, as they were really floppy and it was cheaper to get them taken off while he was already under an anastetic. He looks so sad with three of his legs in blue bandages. While we were there I made sure to get an e-collar for him, because as we were there he was already licking himself. He really did not like the e-collar. At first I could not get it to stay onto him. Everytime I would put it onto him, put him in his crate, stand up and when I looked back in there he already had it off! Finally I got it so tight were he couldn't get it off, although I felt bad making it so tight, but that was better than waking up to find that he had ripped his stitches out! I will try to post a picture of him later, at home, with his e-collar. All in all though it went well. I cannot get him not to run or jump or anything. The most I could do to him was just to tie him up outside when we were not there, instead of letting him loose in the yard!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He will want to lick himself. My pup licked himself a lot, but didn't chew. I kept a close eye on him and he was able to be without the e-collar. Like I said, my pup ran and jumped... it's so hard to keep them subdued. You could try crating him for a couple hours at a time to reduce his activity, or else put him a smaller room where he can't jump up on things. I'm glad he did well, and I hope he heals up quick!

--------------------
~Marcia

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Sounds like everything went well! I would just keep doing what you're doing.

Did he have three dewclaws? I thought dogs had two...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well, actually most dogs are born with either 2 or 4. He has all 4, but only the back ones were really floppy and in risk of getting caught on something, so we had them taken off. The third front bandage was were they stuck the I-V into him. He partially took that off this morning, so I took it off the rest of the way, so now he looks weird where they shaved his leg! The vet said that we could take the bandages off from the back legs if we wanted to, but I would be soo scared that one day while we are gone and he is bored, he would rip out the stitches. At least with the bandages on, he has to get through them first. He will get the stitches out in anonther week and a half.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Oh ok! Thanks for explaining. One of my dogs has two in the front. So I was kinda confused.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

To keep him from getting bored, maybe you could give him something to chew on like a rawhide bone. That always distracts my little demolition crew!

--------------------
~Marcia