Advice on Puppy car sickness - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Advice on Puppy car sickness

I need advice on how to help my puppy get over being car sick. I would love for him to go everywhere with me - but he gets so sick. Is there anything I can do for him? I have never seen a dog get as sick as him - he drooles,pukes,& has the poops everytime he gets in the van. Please help if you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM

http://www.homeagainid.com/news/arti...?storyid=16095
Speak with your veterinarian before giving any medication to your pets, however.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well I also had a car sick puppy....he never grew out of it. But you can try a couple of things.
Take him for short trips...so around the block...or even just out of the driveway if that's all he can handle.
Put him in the front seat, and strap him in with a harness so he doesn't jump all over you. There is less movement in the front of a car than the back.
Take him to places that are exciting...I could get me car sick dog to my mum's house with no trouble in the end...he used to puke but as he got older he could make half hour trips without being sick. But it's got to be somewhere fun so that he associates the car with fun! So a trip to the park, or someone's house that he loves...start with really small trips and slowly increase the travelling time.

Some puppies grow out of it, some never do....good luck!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I will give all those a try. Thank you for the help, RSBunny!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Paw-Talk, I did talk with my vet, he said not to give meds to him. So thats why I signed up with you, I thought you all would have great advice here. Thanks for the link, Paw-Talk
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:43 PM

I'm with Carmen. Start short, and build and hope it works.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Chrisanne, I will do that. Question: Should I have him in his crate? or do you think that will make it worse?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My Shetland Sheepdog, Seamus, gets VERY carsick.

When he was a puppy, he couldn't go FIVE MINUTES in the car without throwing up, pooing AND peeing. Talking about a mess!

As he got older, the problem lessened to where he can now make a 30 minute trip usually without any problems. To help ease it, we would take him on small rides around the neighbourhood. Also, try just sitting in the car with him. Don't go anywhere, but just sit in the car for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes part of the car sickness is caused by the anxiety they feel in the car.

Also, I would suggest NOT using a crate. When we used a crate with Seamus, it seemed to make matters even worse. Plus, it's a lot messier.

Keep us updated on your baby! And I'll keep my fingers crossed that he grows out of it!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:57 AM

I might want to add from experience, before putting your pup in the car you might want to make sure he hasn't eaten for quite sometime, or drank very little water, as this too does help cut back on the vomitting part.... Beau and Ajax were the worse we have ever dealt with. Ajax has been adopted, and we kept his brother Beau. Beau grew out of it, thank goodness, but I honestly couldn't remember a time before they were 1 that we would put them in the car and people driving behind us, would stay way behind us, because it looked like we had 2 rabid dog's in the back, with all the drool and slobber they were creating
Yup take short trips and try to limit on food/water if you can prior to going in the car
I agree with Rowan, putting your pup in a crate will only make it worse.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

I have got to say I have never seen anything like it - poor guy
I do hope he out grows this. I live 40 mins just from the nearest town. We want to do shows with him, that won't happen if he can't get over this hurdle. He is only 18 weeks. I hope in time he will out grow it. Thanks for the advice. Will keep everyone updated.

Koda is a Australian Shepherd - I would put pictures up of all my babies, but have not figured out how to yet.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I dont know but it is a small dog maybe you could raise the level of the dog so it can see out of the car window, this way the dog or puppy can focus at a far object in the distance or watch the world go by, its like a person being on a Ferry at night and it rocks about, you cant see outside and your balance and orientation are messed up.

also you can get a thing that hangs down from the car which earths the car to the ground and cuts the Static electricity in the automobile down this might help.

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow - Thanks for all the help! Now I have things to try
I hope they will work. I'm sure Koda does too.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Kim, that's for bringing up the food and water thing. I forgot about that!

I do that with Seamus, too, if the trip will be a long one. I treat it like he's going to the vet for a surgery. I give him a VERY small amount of food 6-8 hours before the trip and nothing else afterwards until AFTER the trip. Water is not too bad--but the more water he drinks, the more he will drool.

Once again, good luck.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

We will be going into town on sat - so we will see if he gets sick. I hope he doesn't - as it is gross to clean

Last edited by Chevy76DML; 04-07-2005 at 05:44 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

This is Koda my car sick boy

Tags
australian shepherd