Advice on Puppy Introduction: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Advice on Puppy Introduction:

Hello everyone. I am new here, and I sure hope I can find some good information to help me with introducing my new puppy to other dogs in my home.
I have 2 female golden retreive/lab mixed dogs.Both of them are older dogs. One is 12 yrs. the other is 10 yrs. old. About 2 1/2 months ago, we buried our beautiful 15 yr.old Golden retriever male that we loved so much.
About 5 days ago, we got a beautilful golden/lab male that is 7 weeks old, and we have let our girls smell him, see him, while he was on our laps, but we think he is too young to put down on the floor with the girls right now. We have kept him in the bathroom for safety purposes, and we let him roam the house when the girls are put up, or let outside. Everytime we want to play with him, we put the girls in another room, for fear of jealousy, and so the girls won't fight, or hurt the puppy.
So, my question is how long should we wait before we feel it is safe enough to let him roam around the house with the girls.
Any advice is welcome.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 AM

Lightbulb Bonding time one on one

I had a friend who had 3 older dogs and then introduced a pup into the mix. She started out the same way you did but the pup was about 9 weeks. She would let each of her dogs have bonding sessions one at a time. That way each of her dogs got to know the pup on their own terms. I think by doing this it was less scary to the pup and better for the older ones to get to know the pup with out anyone butting and avoided the "ME NEXT...BACK OFF" snipes. She started with, once a day with one dog and the next day with the other and so on. The sessions lasted about an hour. Slowly she built up the times and started group sessions. Now her dogs are the best of friends. I don't know if this will work for you but thought id offer that little tidbit.
Good luck and congrats on the new family member
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi Spacefunk, I think that is a great idea what your friend did, and I love the fact that the other dogs got to meet the new pup on their own terms without the other dog getting in the way, and this way they could form their own personal bond with the new puppy. You said that the pup was 9 weeks old when she started doing this, so I guess I had better wait til about that time too?
Also, when she did the one on one bonding, and you said that she took it slowly before she did the group sessions, about how long a span did she have to do this. One week? Two or more times?
Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 AM

Hey there

She started one on one bonding a day or so after bringing the pup home (at 9 weeks) I think it would be just fine to start with your pup now (Just watch out for the rough play till about 9/10 wks or until you pup is bigger/stronger). The 1 on 1 sessions should last an hour to start (more or less) and build the time by 10-20 mins as you go) You know your dogs better than I do so start doing group sessions when both dogs have a strong bond and when you think they are ready. Also do the group sessions when your pup can stand up for his self and isn't hiding behind "mommy's legs" for protection. Group sessions should start at 30-45 mins (give or take) Build group sessions by 20-30 mins. Be sure not to baby the pup all the time because then he might learn that he can get his own way thus making problems with the other dogs. The whole process should take 3-4 weeks before everyone can mingle 24/7 but every dog is different.
Iv brought many puppies into my household (I foster dogs/pups from time to time) and have found out (the hard way lol) that if you dont train and teach the new pup the same rules your dogs follow then there will be problems. Start training the pup right away, puppies are never too young to learn. Also a tip about bonding (that was told to me and seems to work most of the time) let the pup outside after your dogs have been out (to smell them and find where they went potty) This also helps with potty training.

Quick question are you walking your pup on a leash? If so you could have someone walk your dogs in front and you could walk the pup behind that way the pup learns to "Follow" your dog's lead you can start that as soon as you want (since they won't be playing) Also will help "leash training" as the pup will be so interested in your dogs walking ahead that he will forget about the leash. Has worked for me many times.

Sorry i know i talk a lot lol not an expert just a dog loverLet me know how it is working out.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Hi Space, Sorry it took me a while to reply back to you, but I guess because I am new to the boards, my posts do not show up right away which is aggravating.
But anyway thanks so much for your advice about what to do, and I sure will try what you said and see if that works.
I am not a trainer either, just a grandmother that loves her pets.
Thanks again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 PM

Talking

When I 1st join my posts would take awhile too after the 1st ten or so the posts started showing up faster. Just hang in there. Anyway do let me and the rest of paw talk know how it works oh and do you have photos of your doggies? Would love to see them!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I do have some photos, but I do not know how to do that yet on the board. I wish I did, and could show you what he looks like.
I will let you and the others know how everything is going with him. Right now, I am trying to solve another problem I am having with him. I know puppies go through teething. Only normal with him being a baby, but geeezzz, he is like a piranha, and he is getting my arm, and hands but Good. We have bought him chew toys, and he plays and chews on them, but we are really having to teach him, NO BITE..
If he learns anything right now, its going to be NO Bite..Does Anyone have any suggestions for me about this. I am tired of bleeding all the time.
I cannot introduce him to my older girls while he is like this, because once he bites them, they will get him, But good...
I am at a lost right now about this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 PM

search other threads

There was a really good thread on biting that talked about a pup learning about bite pressure and how to "yelp" like a dog and replace the yelp sound with a loud "OUCH"...Will look for the thread and send over here ASAP.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 AM

Ugh nippy pups painfully cute

"Puppy is to much for me to handle!"

Thats the name of the thread about the 5th post down there is a very long and informative post about puppy teething that will explain the process behind it and how to deal with it. Its well worth a read. Hopefully this will help.

There method which works for me (most of the time) I hold a rawhide in my hand and invite the pup to chew it (as i hold it firmly). If he bites my hand or fingers say "no bite" or "Ouch!" then pull the hand holding the rawhide away. Then later invite the pup back to chew the rawhide and repeat the process. A trainer taught me this and told me that this helps the pup understand that human hands can do a lot of good things and that its better not to injure them. If the pup bites too much at first put the raw hide away and move on to something else and try it again later.This takes a lot patience and clam energy to do, I don't recommend for people who get upset quickly/easily
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I will look for that thread. Believe me, I have all the patience in the world to correct him of this behavior.
You have been a great help to me, where some people won't even take the time to do even that much. Thanks again.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 PM

No problem...Anytime! Please let me know how it goes.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I will.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk View Post
"Puppy is to much for me to handle!"

Thats the name of the thread about the 5th post down there is a very long and informative post about puppy teething that will explain the process behind it and how to deal with it. Its well worth a read. Hopefully this will help.

There method which works for me (most of the time) I hold a rawhide in my hand and invite the pup to chew it (as i hold it firmly). If he bites my hand or fingers say "no bite" or "Ouch!" then pull the hand holding the rawhide away. Then later invite the pup back to chew the rawhide and repeat the process. A trainer taught me this and told me that this helps the pup understand that human hands can do a lot of good things and that its better not to injure them. If the pup bites too much at first put the raw hide away and move on to something else and try it again later.This takes a lot patience and clam energy to do, I don't recommend for people who get upset quickly/easily
wow that is a GOOD idea, never thought of that!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Talking Thxs

Thanks Mulder! Ya I was amazed when it was taught to me but you gotta be careful about when you invite the pup back for a chew. There is a risk of rewarding biting if the timing is off or if you invite back to quickly after a bite. When done right teething/biting can be "fixed" with in a week or two with this method. Your hands become the dogs "tools" My dog (who is now 7 yrs) still brings me her rawhide and bones to hold for her so she can get in a good chew lol
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when we brought the puppies home we took my older 2 and then the new pups to my grandparents to introduce them first, doing the whole neutral territory thing...they all instantly clicked, gotta keep in mind my older 2 are very well socialized and love all other doggies and kitties, then at home we were crate training so we made sure all out of crate time was supervised, now they are all inseperable, well most of the time lol...Puppers is getting old so he ignores them when they start to play lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, crate training, golden retriever, lab mix, older dog, potty train, potty training