Advice Welcomed!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Advice Welcomed!!

I'm new to this choosing a puppy thing. My parents have always done it for the family...but finally, it's my turn. I'd love to hear your advice!

So, today at a certain Petsmart, there were some 9 week old chihuahua mixes. They have the mother, who is a chi, but no idea about the father, since this was a rescue.

The cost of one is $350, rightly to pay for the cost of the spay/neuter surgery, plus any other expenses incurred (i.e food).

Should I get one?! I want a small dog (she said they will remain under 10lbs.), already fixed, utd on shots, and dewormed.
I also want one that young, who has been somewhat socialized, since I want to socialize mine perfectly, as I don't want a yappy, dependent, protective chi. These dogs live with littermates and one other litter at the moment, and I will strongly continue socialization myself.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Aww, I'm glad you are detting a pup, it's a great feeling
My advice would be, that maybe you should do some research about petsmart and make sure they are a good shop to buy a dog from as you never know what the conditions are. Also, I think it may be a bit risky because you do not know what the father was or what he was like and it's always best to know the back ground or you never know what sort of temper the puppy will have and things like that, however I am not that experianced so you might want to hear what everyone else says as this is just my veiw.
I think it's better to buy from a shelter or breeder to be honest, but thats only typical of me because over here we don't sell dogs in pet shops.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you find the perfect pup!
xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

wooohooo on getting a puppy...lol for me the best dogs have been the "mutts" from the pound...I hope you find the right one soon...puppies are so much fun

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

As far as small dogs go, chi's can sometimes be hyper. If you are willing to take him/her on walks a lot, then that shouldn't be an issue. Since they are a mix, maybe the father's breed will add some calmness. Mixes are great dogs. Since the puppies are only 9 weeks, you'll want to find someone else with a vaccinated dog that you can have your puppy play with. Social skills taught by other dogs are invaluable.

$350 is a good price for a puppy too, especially since it includes the spay/neuter.

Since Chihuahuas can be a little bossy, you'll want to show him who's boss early in life. I would suggest reading some training articles or taking a class with him if you aren't familiar with dog training already. Good luck!

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yay! Puppies are fun,but hard work too.

Is this an adoption event or is the store selling them?
If it is adoption,I would go for it.But if the store is actually selling them,I would opt out and look somewhere else.Pet stores that sell puppies are bad news.The pups come from mills usually.Going through rescue or a shelter is the best choice!

Also make sure you do all of the research you need about puppies and chihuahuas/small dogs.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Betta Bomb

awesome!! i love (other peoples) puppies!!!! will probably never have my own pup again....but kudo's to what was already said about reaearch and try to find out what the father dog was so you have some sort of clue as to what temperments your gonna be faced with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

here petsmart doesn't sell puppies they show from shelters, and you have to fill all adoption papers out.

Here 350 is a lot for a puppy even with all vet care, here i got my dog for 65 that was 8 weeks old and a voucher to get him neutured when ready.

another place around here adoption is 85 for dogs and 65 for cats but do deals if the shelter is too full for the cats i've only seen them do that once though

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh okay.
We don't have Petsmart here.
We do have Petcetera and they do that.They feature cats/kittens from the SPCA and have them up for adoption.They don't do dogs tho.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
advice, chihuahua, choosing chihuahua, pick