age to get a puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Question age to get a puppy?

What is the best age to get a puppy? I always heard you should get them at 6 weeks or even 8 weeks. But my bf says its better to get them when they are younger than 3-4 weeks. Is that good for the puppy??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

The puppy should stay with its mom until it is at least 8 weeks. The only reason a pup should be away from its mom is if the mother is rejecting the puppies, or if the mom has died...no puppy should be away from their mom at 3-4 weeks. They need to stay with mom and siblings until 8 weeks. There are some cases where they cant, but its best for your pup if they can.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

3-4 weeks is wayyyy to young. Like Melissa said, 8 weeks is best.

The reasoning is it gives them a chance to get fully weaned plus in the 6-8 week age range they learn their "life skills" from mom and the siblings.

Puppies that stay with mom and litter mates until they are at least 8 weeks of age generally have better temperments and are just all around more healthy (mind and body).

I have never met a responsible breeder that would let a puppy go at 3-4 weeks old. If they were willing to do so, I would question their ethics. In some states it is even illegal to sell a puppy earlier than 8 weeks.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted

Tags
litter mates