Aggression? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aggression?

I seem to have a problem with my two year old male Dachshund, Rocky. I think he's developing aggression problems . I don't know why either, as up until a few months ago he had never shown any signs of aggression. He was always friendly and social.

He has two problems...one is possive aggression, it's not that bad for the most part but occasionally when he has something he really likes he turns...viscious. Just now he broke through the baby gate and got into the kitchen and got a pizza crust. He wouldn't let anyone near him and he tried to bite me, my brother, and my dad. I tried putting him in his crate and he went crazy snapping and barking at me. I managed to get him in, holding his muzzle the whole time. I've never seen him like that before and it really, really worries me which is why I posted .

The other problem started only a couple weeks ago. He growls and sometimes snaps if he's comfy and doesn't want to be moved. For example, a couple times I tried to put him to bed but he was already resting on the couch and he'd turn aggressive.

*sigh* I don't really know what to do. I suppose I should look into getting a behaviourist but my parents don't seem to think he needs one and I really don't have the money.

Is there anything I can do?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

First I'd say since he became aggressive suddenly is to take him to the vet to get his thyroid tested and eliminate any health issues. Second put him on NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free), he could have figured out that growling worked to get you to stop doing what you were doing so he is going with it and now he no longer respects you as Alpha. Third put him on a training regime, my 12 year old dog still gets 30 minutes a night of obedience so they are never to old. Get sit and down solid, because it will allow you to have a command to give the dog to distract it so you don't have to get into a physical fight that you may not win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycat
First I'd say since he became aggressive suddenly is to take him to the vet to get his thyroid tested and eliminate any health issues. Second put him on NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free), he could have figured out that growling worked to get you to stop doing what you were doing so he is going with it and now he no longer respects you as Alpha. Third put him on a training regime, my 12 year old dog still gets 30 minutes a night of obedience so they are never to old. Get sit and down solid, because it will allow you to have a command to give the dog to distract it so you don't have to get into a physical fight that you may not win.
Thanks for the help. He actually does get at least a 15 minute training session every day (all our dogs do) but maybe I should work harder with him. He also does agility.

I will take him to the vet, he's about due for a checkup anyways. And I'll ask about getting his thyroid tested.

I'll aslo do NILIF with him. I used to but I admit that now I really don't because it was hard since although I did, other family members didn't.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."