Aggressive Doggy Behavior - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 01:46 AM

I've been attacked by my grandmother's mutt, my other grandmother's miniature poodle, a dachsund/beagle mix, a terrier mix, and a boxer pup. I have some scars. Of all of the attacks, the scariest was the mini poodle and the dachsund/beagle WHO I KNEW.

I used to walk (daily) a Golden Retriever that was as sweet as could be - when outside of his yard. You do NOT want to mess with him inside his yard if he doesn't like you or know you. He's freaking vicious inside his territory. And he's attacked a jogger and biker while I was walking them. The jogger ran at me, and was a jogger I knew (the guy creeped me out.) Luke took offense and lunged. The biker got too close so Luke, again, lunged at him, snarling.

The same mini poodle who attacked me also attacked my little cousin, who she grew up with and was best pals with.

Breed doesn't matter. The individual dog does. I'm not worried about the Pit Bulls I meet daily when I walk our Lab, AJ. I'm not worried about the GSDs, the Rotties, the Dobies. I'm not worried about the Mastiffs or the Wolf Hybrids. I'm worried about the little yappy dogs no one suspects, who have scarred little kids both physically and emotionally, for LIFE. (I'm also worried about the small female black lab terrier mix who broke her leash and charged AJ, leaving him with the inside of his ear bleeding which became infected, and also leaving my boyfriend with a nasty gash on his hand.)

I am also more afraid of our Tortie cat, Houdini, than any dog I'll ever meet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Breed doesn't matter. The individual dog does.
I have to agree and disagree with that. While there is a possibility that any dog can attack I feel that certain breeds are more prone to it (many of these are smaller breeds yes, but I won't have a small dog anyway). And while a little dog might attack and scar you, a bigger dog can completely disfigure you.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
While I totally respect your preference to not get at pitbull for your son, but I have to disagree to some extent with the above quote. I think the only safe way to choose a dog is to get a stuffed toy one...anything that has teeth has the potential to bite. However, I also believe that the smaller breeds have more of a tendency to bite than larger breeds because they are so small, that is the only way they feel they can defend themselves.
Two things here...we won't be 'new' dog owners when the time comes. Christi grew up with dogs and we've had a Wiem/Lab mix and a Weim while we've been together. Second, there's absolutely no way that we'll ever own a small dog. I think small dogs are more aggressive and definitely tend to bite more. Third, we thoroughly research everything we do; sometimes to a fault. But we'll definitely feel very informed when the time comes.

Hmm...guess that was three things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Lox I must so kudos to you and Christi for making informed decisions about which dogs will suit you best. As I said before I don't believe that the pitty breeds are for everyone...if they were for everyone we wouldn't have all the other great dogs out there!! I know that you have had a bad experience with them and while I don't know what that bad experience is I do urge you to not fear the whole breed because of your bad experience(s)? As a staffy owner that is the only thing that I ask of anyone and I will ask it of you too because it does sound like you do believe in a small way that the breed is bad. If I'm wrong please let me know!!!
I don't believe in discrimination in people or animals. A lot of white Australians have all Aboriginals under one catergory....scum of the earth. Yes there are bad ones out there but what about all the great Aboriginals that go unrecognised and are copping flak from people that don't even know them. It's the same in dogs....there are the bad ones out there but don't discriminate a whole breed cause here on pt alone is great proof that there are great ones out there!! Hope that made sense!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxias
Two things here...we won't be 'new' dog owners when the time comes. Christi grew up with dogs and we've had a Wiem/Lab mix and a Weim while we've been together. Second, there's absolutely no way that we'll ever own a small dog. I think small dogs are more aggressive and definitely tend to bite more. Third, we thoroughly research everything we do; sometimes to a fault. But we'll definitely feel very informed when the time comes.

Hmm...guess that was three things.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to make you think that I thought you were incapable of making the right decision for your family. I didn't think you would be "new" dog owners at all and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I totally agree about the small dogs too, for the exact same reasons you do.
I also agree that you can't reseach it to a fault. Most importantly I'm glad that people like you and Christi take so much time to research! I know of too many people who pick a dog based on it's looks alone only to find out they just aren't compatible with their lifestyles and those dogs end up in shelters because of that. I only suggested a lab or retriever because most are totally awsome with children and I know that is a big priority in your decision making process. Somewhere, I saw a site many years ago that had a whole questionaire about your family, lifestyle and what you are looking for in a dog...once the answers are calculated, it tells you what breeds might be best for what you are looking for. If I can find it, I'll post it. If nothing else, it's interesting and fun and might give you some ideas of different breeds to research.
Again, I apologize if I offended you, I didn't mean to at all. I'm a big ambassador for bully breeds, but I also agree with Carmen that they aren't for everyone and every family. I would never try to get someone who didn't like them to get one...I just want people to understand that a breed's reputation doesn't make the dog.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to make you think that I thought you were incapable of making the right decision for your family.
Oh no...you didn't offend me in any way. Guess my previous post did sound kinda rough. I'll use more smilies from now on. While I do feel that a Bully breed probably isn't for my family I wouldn't go so far as to say we're scared of them. Wary and apprehensive definitely but much more so because of Ryland being smaller. Christi's sister's dogs have been great with him so far. But he won't be around them if she isn't and the times he has been around them they haven't been in their territory.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I do believe that some things are about the breed but a lot can be how it is raised. Some breeds have natural instinct to herd, some to hunt and so on. There are so many Pits around here and not once have I heard of any attacking anyone. A lot are agressive towards other dogs (their owners make them that way) but don't bug humans. I think the friendliest strays I've ever met are the Pits. The only dog I've ever been afraid of around here was the wolf dog down the street. That thing could climb fences, jump super high and it ate its babies. I think I'd fear a wolf hybrid a lot more than any domestic dog.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:29 PM

Off topic i know.... about the hybrid... The only reason a hybrid can be dangerous is because of the part domestic dog that has NO fear. Wolves are naturally fearful of humans. Like pits, hybrids are seriously misunderstood.

But I digress
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 PM

I have no problem with hybrids, so long as they're in the right hands. I only fear them in the wrong hands. =\
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have no problem with them either. I was saying by the look I'd be more afraid, not by the actual animal. We were looking into getting one awhile ago but there was a dominance issue.
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Brittney,
I didn't think you did. I was just throwing my feelings out there. I understood your post perfectly.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxias
Oh no...you didn't offend me in any way. Guess my previous post did sound kinda rough. I'll use more smilies from now on. While I do feel that a Bully breed probably isn't for my family I wouldn't go so far as to say we're scared of them. Wary and apprehensive definitely but much more so because of Ryland being smaller. Christi's sister's dogs have been great with him so far. But he won't be around them if she isn't and the times he has been around them they haven't been in their territory.
Oh good! I was a bit worried! A lot of things have to do with how socialized they are. Mine are wonderful around little kids and babies because they grew up with them and when we first got Kali and from the time Orion was born, we messed with them as a small child would until the point where they would just look at you with pitty in their eyes Kali gets very protective around babies...she understands little ones very well. My best friend came to visit a couple of years ago with her 10 month old son who has Down Syndrome...she knew he was extra fragile because when Shane was creeping up to the baby to tickle him, Kali jumped off the couch, over the coffee table and landed between the baby and Shane...she very gently put her mouth around his wrist and led him to the kitchen! Her whole attitude was, "You are male, you don't know what you're doing, you need to be over here!" It was the funniest thing in the entire world! She was carefully protecting the baby from her "Daddy"
I agree with what you said about being apprehensive around your sister-in-law's dogs...I was totally freaked out about having a pit in the house with my own kids too...but Kali proved to me that all pits aren't what the media makes them out to be. I think the best thing is for each parent is to use their own judgement in a situation with a pitbull. I totally respect other parent's preferences to not have the dogs around their children. When people come over and they have a fear or are uncomfortable with my dogs, I either put the dogs in my room, or out in the yard to play. I feel it doesn't do anyone any good to be uncomfortable in my home. I also expect other's to do the same for me and my kids...Most of my friends with pits, I don't have a problem with my kids around their dogs, because they know what is okay and what isn't with those particular dogs. My friend Paula has two pits and the only thing I ever worry about is that when the kids are swimming, Merc and his clumsy butt might accidently knock the kids into the pool. Paula keeps him in the sun room just in case. But even then, I would trust Merc running around the pool with them before I would trust a chihuahua running loose in the neighborhood! Sounds silly, but I'm always right there when they are swimming...(Actually it's more of their female pit knocking their male into the pool...Whenever she does that I always end up having to save his pathetic butt! He can't swim! At least my kids can swim!) But alas...they've never bumped into the kids.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
Off topic i know.... about the hybrid... The only reason a hybrid can be dangerous is because of the part domestic dog that has NO fear. Wolves are naturally fearful of humans. Like pits, hybrids are seriously misunderstood.

But I digress
Lol, there are PLENTY of woldogs (aka wolf hybrids) that are afraid of people. Just because its part dog doesn't mean it is going to be social to people. Wolfdogs become dangerous when they are raised and handled wrong, and when they are in the hands if irrisponsible owners. Its the same with any dog.

~Seij
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 10:59 AM

If you read what I said you would have understood. I never said that wolf hybrids weren't fearful of people. What I did say is that when they become aggressive it is generally the half dog that comes forth since your domesticated dogs don't have fear like a true wolf does.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:48 PM

Dogs and wolves can be fearful, as well as aggressive, in the same way. There have been wolves over the year who have become quite aggressive. Candy Kitchen Rescue Ranch has one wolf in particular which no one can go in with because he is so territorial and aggressive. When you mix a wolf and a dog, there is no "wolf half, dog half" thing. All the behaviors found in wolves can be found in dogs. The only difference is that wolves have a much higher intensity of behavior. I can sort of understand what you are saying though, that because of a wolf's natural fear, it is less likely to get aggression problems towards all humans in general. A wolf that is well socialized and has aggression problems can be just as dangerous as a well socialized wolfdog with aggression problems though. There aren't many wolves out there however who are as socialized to humans as some wolfdogs and dogs are.

~Seij

Tags
australian cattle dog, australian shepherd, black lab, bully breeds, cattle dog, chin room, cocker spaniel, dog owners, food bowl, golden retriever, husky mix, lab mix, mixed breed, mixed breeds, obedience training, pet owner, pit bull, pit bulls, rabbit cage, terrier mix