Agility Training for Dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Agility Training for Dogs

Have any of you here done some agility training with your dog?

Lately, I've been thinking of starting Seamus on it. Now, he's dumb as a sack of nails (it's mean of me to say it, but it's true), but I think he would enjoy getting to run around a course and do things. And, he WANTS to please, which I feel is a good quality for something like this.

I found out that Riihimäki has an aglity course at a nearby park. I don't know if they do classes there or what (am still looking into it), but even if they don't do classes, I might take Seamus there myself and teach him.

So, has anyone else here taken on agility training? How do you feel it as affected your dog overall? Do they seem more focused, relaxed (after the workout), etc.?

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I haven't done any yet, but am hoping to get Dante into it later this year. Everyone I know that does it absoluteyl loves it and says it does great things for the dogs!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 04:50 PM

I know a class mate did this with her border collie and he loved it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 PM

i wanted to get natalya started with it, but the places around here require basic obedience classes first, and she never had them... and honestly, right now i dont have $100 for the obedience class and another $100 for the agility... but i know some dogs have started at, like, 19 months and really enjoyed it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I did a quick course with Biscuit in agility last year. I did it purely for her enjoyment, and she loved it!!!!! We never did any of the training they told us to do at home (I'm never planning on using agility for her so didn't see the point in teaching her the hand signals to get her to run around me, I was happy to run with her) and by the end of the course she was better than some of the dogs that actual do compete in agaility! Let me tell you, those people were not happy!! The trainer was so amazed at how much she picked up when she knew that I wasn't doing anything at home. By week two I could say 'up' 'run' 'weave' etc. and she remembered what all those things meant! I'd love to do it with her again one day, just because I knew she got sooooo much pleasure out of it! It was great basic training for her too cause she had to be off lead and Biscuit would finish her run and I'd call her and she'd come straight to me and sit at my feet so I could put her lead back on. I also made her sit or drop while waiting for her turn again. She was the only dog that would listen to me outside of the agility runs off lead...made me sooo proud especially since some of them were rude to me cause I wasn't putting her in the show ring.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Well, I don't have to worry about Seamus not listening to me off lead. He's already fairly obedient about it. I even let him walk around with me in the unfenced portions of the yard when I'm doing yard work because I know he won't run off.

But, I'd like him to get more confidence, and I think putting him in agility classes might do that. Like with Carmen and Biscuit, though, I wouldn't plan on competing with him. It would be strictly for fun.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Rowan it's also great exercise for them! Biscuit would be exhausted from all the exercise she got jumping, weaving, tunneling etc! And I had heaps of fun watching Biscuit have so much fun! Alex could only come to two of the sessions and he was so disappointed that he didn't get to go and see her on the final night!
The trainers told me that they could really see the pleasure on Biscuit's face and awarded her the best jumper there! (quite funny considering there was a German shephard there who has been agility training for three years now!)

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

I'd love to see Seamus exhausted JUST ONCE! He has so much nervous energy it's not even funny, Carmen! He's always pacing around the house and NEVER sits still except at night when we all go to bed.

Even a long walk and a good run in the yard doesn't poop him out. So, I think if Seamus has to move around as WELL as use his brain, he might just get tired then.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
border collie