Angus Og has an ear infection - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Angus Og has an ear infection

We took Angus to the vet last night for a check up of his ears and and have his nails clipped. He has an ear infection. The vet gave us ear drops to put in them 2x a day for 10-14 days and then we have to clean them once a day. Angus hates his ears and his nails touched. He kept scratching at his right ear and shaking his head, so I knew something was wrong. I would clean the wax out, as much as I could. But, he wouldn't leave his ears alone. Hopefully this medicine will clear the infection up in no time.
We also had Angus weighed. He weighed in a 104 lbs and he's 7mos.
Here's a current picture.

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 07-02-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaw mary! he's sooo cute! poor guy. hopefully he'll be all better soon! more pics of your pets!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Jane....Actually I do have more photos, I'll post them here I took them in our yard, one of Bandit in our addition attached to our deck, Strawberry just woke up. Bowser went to the vet with Angus last night. He weighed in at 68lbs. He's older too, 20 1/2 mos, lol. He got his nails clipped and ears checked as well. His ears were good. I clean both of their ears, brush their teeth, and brush their coats all of the time. Angus was the only one who has the ear infection. His ears hang longer, and his ears are the hardest to clean I have a website that I made up of my pets pics, I never even thought of putting it in my posts all of this time http://www.abchood.com/pababyblu
I add new ones all of the time

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 07-02-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no, Mary. I'm so sorry to hear about Angus Og's ear infection! The poor guy, I hope he is feeling better soon! Give him a doggie hug from me!

Awwww, all your pets are adorable! I love those pictures! Look at that middle one of Angus! Awwww! I will be sure to go and check out your site, too.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Mary, I hope Angus feels better. I love his face! Is he a Mastiff? What a sweetie. Was there a discharge in his ears from the infection?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww poor guy! Those are really cute pictures!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Awwww, Thank you so much Jackie, Brandy and Denise. I gave Angus a BIG hug and a kiss from all of you He was so good with me putting his medicine in his ears today. I couldn't believe how good he was tonight with his cleaning too. He was much better than he was last night at the vet, when the doctor did it. He laid there so nice and let me clean his ears his ears, while my husband layed next to him. It was amazing. Then we gave him, Bowser, Strawberry & Bandit all treats to celebrate LOL...
Later, I have to put the drops in after the solution drys.
To answer your question Denise, there wasn't a discharge. It was just normal wax to me, when I was cleaning his ears. I would go into his ear as far as I could. I noticed Angus scratching his right ear and shaking his head a lot. Then when the doctor stuck a long wooden q-tip down his ear...... well... I never went down that far afraid of puncturing something. The vet told me how far I could go in the ear without damaging the ear canal. Then she showed me how I can clean them with this solution, by using gauze pads or a tissue (I prefer the gauze pads). When she did it, boy, another Both ears looked really good tonight when I did them though. I went down as far as she did on her index finger with the gauze pad (after I squirted the solution in each ear and then using the gauze pad to wipe the ear out). It really works well. The cleanser for the ears is "Epi-Otic" (1x per day each ear) and the drops "Otomax" (2x per day 6 drops each ear). Thank you all for the well wishes for Angus
Thank you all so much for the compliments on the photos, too. Denise, yes, Angus is an English Mastiff...hehehehe He'll be close to 186lbs when he is fully grown....that's what his dad weighed. His mom weighed 126 lbs. I'm gonna have a big boy on my hands

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 07-02-2004 at 09:58 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 PM

Mary, um 186 pounds? God, why couldn't you have adopted a big dog! I love Mastiffs!

The reason why I asked about the discharge is because my good friend has a Shar Pei and she noticed he was scratching his ears a lot. She brought him to the vet and he had an infection. She told me when the vet cleaned his ears she wanted to gag because it smelled so bad. To this day when we talk about her dog's ears being infected she gets this disgusted look on her face. I take it Angus' ears were the same?

Aww, give Angus a kiss for me for being such a good boy and letting his mummy put the drops in his ears. Get better Angus.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

You're funny Denise I love BIG dogs too, especially Mastiffs. I always wanted one.
You know, it's funny you said that about the smell. Not funny as in "ha, ha". But, funny as in interesting...hehe. Because I said to my husband the other day before I made the appt to take Angus to the vet. I think there is something wrong with Angus' ears because he keeps scratching the one (right side, more than the left) and shaking his head (you know how they flip their ears). So because I am so curious, I went and smelled his ear to see if there was an odor, and surprisingly there wasn't. I had a dog when I was in high school who had an ear infection and I know what that smells like, so I can relate...that's why I did that. When the doctor cleaned his ears, it was just dark brown wax......no liquid discharge or odor...so maybe the infection was caught before it was extremely bad hopefully.
I will give Angus extra hugs, kisses and tummy rubs.
Thanks so much Denise
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 12:06 AM

Isn't it amazing how in tune we are with our pets? As pet owners we must have a 'sixth sense' so to speak.

Keep us updated on that precious little er big boy's progress!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 12:38 AM

Last Saturday I was walking to work and glanced to my right and got quite a surprise. Someone was visiting my neighbor, and they had a huge Mastiff with them. Man was he ENORMOUS. I wanted so very badly to go see if I could pet him, but I didn't want to run late. Sigh. I love Mastiffs. I hate that everytime I see one in town I'm unable to go say hi. But on the upside, there's you here at PT. I can't pet Angus but I can stare at his cutesy pics!

Hope his ear infection clears up fast.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

You're right Denise! It is amazing sometimes.

Awww Roz, I know what you mean. I used to be the same way before we got Angus. I would always catch sight of a Mastiff in a car or see one walking somewhere, but never had the chance to be up close so I could pet one. There used to be this lady who used to own a Mastiff and went to the same vet as we did. I would always ask if the lady with the Mastiff was in for a visit. Naturally, it would always be, "he was just in the other day" or "you just missed him" or something like that. But now that we have Angus I will post lots of pics for you Roz

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 07-04-2004 at 08:04 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 10:14 AM

Mary, how is sweet Angus doing?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Denise, Thanks for asking about Angus. I've been putting the drops in his ears now for about 7 days, and he seems to be doing much better. No more scratching of the ears, or shaking of his head or even wimpering when touches his right ear. I have to administer the drops for 10-14 days. I'll probably go the full 14 days to be on the safe side. When I clean his ears, there is no more brown waxy gunk either..... LOL....it's clean on the gauze pads... He's getting better now too with me giving him the drops and with cleanings. Probably, because I've figured out when to administer them I usually try to do it when he is sleepy or already asleep, I'm so sneaky and I have to be quick He is so touchy with his ears and feet. I'm so glad he is feeling so much better, though, he had me worried. Thanks again for asking about him You're so thoughtful

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 07-09-2004 at 09:36 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 PM

Yay Angus!! Mary, I am so happy to hear sweet Angus is doing better. Please give him another hug and kiss for me.

Tags
dark brown, ear infection, pet owner