Animals Get Scared - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Animals Get Scared

I have had many animals in my lifetime. And I am always amazed that animals get scared too.

Do your animals ever get scared?

What have you done to help console them while they are afraid?

What are they afraid of?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yesterday, I came home from work to find my poor little doggie hiding in the back of her cage. She was afraid of something. She had made a mess in her cage and she was shaking.

I took her out of the cage, cleaned her up, and then began to clean her cage. I ended up throwing out her bedding and a couple of toys, because it was just a mess. So, last night I was at the Pet store getting all new things.

She was shaking the whole time. No matter what I did, she kept shaking and looking around. She was very nervous. I walked around the house holding her, while trying to find out what could have possibly scared her, and have no clue.

Today, as I got ready to go to work, she would not leave my side. She knew...that I was leaving again. This time I put her in her cage and she started to cry. She never did that before. I put a radio on, thinking that if she heard something, then maybe this my drown out the sounds and I put her favorite toys in with her. But, I just do not know what to do for her?

I have had a few dogs in my time. Some were afraid of thunder, others afraid of certain smells, or they have even been afraid of street cleaners. It just makes you wonder...what could they so afraid of?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee it sure sounds like april felt she did something wrong and was almost waiting to be corrected poor little girl!
When you leave the house I would just put one toy in her cage (her favorite one) leave the radio on a soothing station and give her a small treat, and like we do we always tell them to be good and give them some lovings before locking the crate (I hate doing that part), when we get home I tell them good babies and get them all excited to go outside and when the puppy is done I praise her well, and show her some more lovings
As far as being scared the only one that is really scared of anything here is our Scooby (yellow lab/chow mix), he doesn't like fireworks or thunder, some alfa male he is, poor guy runs and hides everytime

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

wow. Eli gets scared, and I sing to him. ok But did you make sure there wasn't someone else in there at one time? t hat could have hurt her or something, any markings, or anything out of place?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

good thought....no.. I looked around and did not find anything out of the place. I even went outside and looked around.

Today... I was talking to a neighbor and she said that there were some loud planes flying over head. So, it is possible, that she heard that.

I know someone who plays their saxaphone to their dogs when the fireworks are going off or when it is raining and thundering...

The things we do for our animals. It is worth every effort.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilsMom
Yesterday, I came home from work to find my poor little doggie hiding in the back of her cage. She was afraid of something. She had made a mess in her cage and she was shaking.

I took her out of the cage, cleaned her up, and then began to clean her cage. I ended up throwing out her bedding and a couple of toys, because it was just a mess. So, last night I was at the Pet store getting all new things.

She was shaking the whole time. No matter what I did, she kept shaking and looking around. She was very nervous. I walked around the house holding her, while trying to find out what could have possibly scared her, and have no clue.

Today, as I got ready to go to work, she would not leave my side. She knew...that I was leaving again. This time I put her in her cage and she started to cry. She never did that before. I put a radio on, thinking that if she heard something, then maybe this my drown out the sounds and I put her favorite toys in with her. But, I just do not know what to do for her?

I have had a few dogs in my time. Some were afraid of thunder, others afraid of certain smells, or they have even been afraid of street cleaners. It just makes you wonder...what could they so afraid of?
It could be she dosn't like be in the kennel and the fact that she dosn't want to be by her self. My dog Tasha who is 10 years and was debarked by her pervious owner, hates kennels.

I don't have a kennel for Tasha, but when I was at some ones house babysitting thier dog, I put her in the crate for an hour and had tied the other dog outside so I could do some work in the basement (dogs are not allowed in the basement and I didn't want to leave them un-supervised, because Sunny is a puppy who tears things up and Tasha likes to pee on the carpet) Anyhow, When I came back up stairs, she was running around in circles in the cage and started barking at me (which she never does, because its hard for her and makes her cough etc) So I imediatly took her out and told her I was sorry and I would never put her back in there again. Some one told me what she did is called Kennel Craze.

It could be what your puppy was doing when you were gone and thats why when you came home the cage was a mess. Some pets don't like to be craped up in a cage, and I guess you could say they are Closterphobic. I would try letting her have free roam of the house when your gone and maybe just get a gate and lock her into a nice big room with hard floor if possible, like your kitchen if it is big enough. Also, before you leave, take some time to give her lots of attention and play with her for an hour or 30 mins. That way she may not get to upset when you have to go.

As for my dog, she is scared of people and hands. Which, I don't know if I will ever get her over that fear. She just had a bad association with it and Its not like I can change what was already done. I just try to get her to associate hands and people with good things. LIke giving her treats and loving and never hitting her or yelling etc. I also have people who come over give her treats to help her warm up to them. Its a working progress.

But I know she loves me alot, because one time I put her in the bedroom to go to bed with me, and I have a gate in the room to keep the ferrets from escaping. Well, I left the room to get some water and I was gone maybe 5 minutes and all of sudden you would hear her bark and trying to jump over the gate. She has to be by my side now. Its funny, because before she could care less.

Eat a crunchy, Sleep in hammock,
Steal a sock, Dig in shoes,
Nip your ankles, Climb your pants
Miss the litter box, Beg for treats,
Poop in a corner, Knock something over

But Why Would Anyone Do a Thing Like That?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

IloveFuzzies. Thank you. That is some great advice. April usually likes her crate. She goes in there when the door is open and we are home, and she usually never has any problems going in by herself. But, that is another good point, if I find that she does that again, I will use your suggestion about putting her in the kitchen. That is another great option.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Max, our rottweiler was SCARED TO DEATH of snakes... Not just 'normal scared' but true phobia scared! We had a snake on the porch for a bit in an aquarium awaiting a rescue to pick it up (wasn't native to our area...) and Max wouldn't go in the porch!

Then, over three days after the snake was gone, we finally got him to the porch.... he still wouldn't go to the aquarium where the snake once was.... Over a week later he started to get closer to the aquarium and sniff it but he was REALLY JERKY about it ... go in sllllooowwwlly...take a quick sniff..then bounce away really fast.

This was an 80lb rottweiler that showed no fear of anything...except... that snake lol

Chelsea was scared of thunderstorms.... for her we turned the storms into wild and crazy playtime.... now when she hears the thunder she starts bringing us toys and wagging her tail

Polo appears to be a bit unsure of the pool.... we'll work on that this summer

- Deb

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My chihuahuas get scared/excited whenever they leave the house. They'll stick close to us and shiver and shake if they are in an unfamiliar building (going for walks they are fine). To comfort them I'll hold them close to me and if we are going someplace like the vet or something I'll put a blanket in with them in their carrier. They like the added security of being covered up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Playful Pup

Glad I could help!

Eat a crunchy, Sleep in hammock,
Steal a sock, Dig in shoes,
Nip your ankles, Climb your pants
Miss the litter box, Beg for treats,
Poop in a corner, Knock something over

But Why Would Anyone Do a Thing Like That?

Tags
chow mix, pet store, yellow lab