Another heat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Another heat?

My dog Natalya just had her first heat i believe in the end of August.. and we noticed tonight that its happening again... after 4 months.. is that normal? i mean, Tatyana had them every 6 months til she had her puppies and got fixed...so im confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dogs can usually go into heat 2-3 times a year, alot depends on the climate, ect.... It is always best to spay and neuter to avoid this, as it can be a health hazard for them to remain unfixed.
Are you not getting her spayed for a reason? like wanting to show her and breed her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

i plan on showing her which is why she hasnt gotten spayed yet. we're gonna see how she does over the next couple years and if she doesnt do well thats when shes gonna get fixed.. probably about 3 years.. i just have to figure out how to get her started in shows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I have seen several dogs that come into heat every 4 months.

To get started in shows... first thing I would recommend doing is find a local show breeder near you and have them "mentor" you. Contact your local kennel club branch which you can find through www.akc.org Also, consider what you hope to gain by showing her.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If you were somewhere like Finland, showing would not only be easier, but would be expected with almost any purchase of a pure-bred female from a breeder.

HOWEVER! America isn't like Finland, which is a country that has tight breeding controls and breeders here are not out to make a quick buck. There are some serious things you should consider before starting to show your dog.

How well does she conform to the breed standard?
Showing can get expensive--can you AFFORD it?
Be aware that the reason *****es must remain unspayed in the show ring is so that the ones that do WELL can, in the future, be bred.
If you plan on breeding her on the event that she does well in the show ring, are you prepared to pay the vet costs of getting her hips and eyes checked and certified?

That said, to get started on showing, joining a club dedicated to her breed is a good start. There, you could probably meet responsible breeders who will give you good advice on shows, etc.

As for her going into heat so often, yes, it's possible. What you should look out for, however, are prolonged estrus (heat) cycles and excessive bleeding from the vagina during heat. This is one symptom of Von Willebrand's Disease. (The site is for Italian Greyhound owners, but it's very well written and applies to all dogs.)

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
kennel club