ANother question, sorry... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Post ANother question, sorry...

Phoebe is my first puppy, so I really don't know what is normal and what is not. When she plays with her toys she can get really riled up and growl and bark at them. Is this okay? As long as she doesn't do it with people? Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

In my experiance, that is normal puppy play Heck, my "puppy" (over a year now, lol) still growls and barks at her toys when she get's really riled, lol. Like you said, as long as she isn't showing aggression to people, it's fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Indecision Queen

I think it is completely normal as well Paige has just started to bark and she is 10 weeks old so hopefully she won't be a very vocal Chihuahua. They say there is two kinds of Chihuahua's when it comes to them barking, there is either a very quiet dog that only barks when it is completely necassary and then there is the kind thta barks about everything, if your Phoebe is already barking and she is just 6 and a half weeks you may have gotten your hands on a noisy one!!!
I always like to watch puppies play real rowdy with all the barking and growling, I think it is normal as long as you can pet her in the middle of her playing and her tail starts to wag, if she goes after your hand then that is something that, In my opinion can be worked with.
Good Luck!

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

this is totally normal! i would do what angelaT said and interrupt her play and see if she reacts to you in an ok way. but yah, taking out their aggression on their toys is good.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Encourage her to get rowdy and growl at her toys but make it a command to stop on cue. If she growls and barks at your hand while playing you'll need to do some training on that but if not and you can calm her down quuickly and easily that's great!!! When you are calming her down after making her all rowdy use a calm voice and use a word like settle or something....take the toy off her so that she knows that as soon as the toy is gone she has to be calm again!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy