another stray in my neighborhood - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy another stray in my neighborhood

well, yes, you read it correctly. there is yet, another stray in my neighborhood. i believe she is a stray because i waited a couple of days to see if she'd return home, but she keeps showing up here. she looks to be a bully mix (maybe with shar-pei??) and is a reddish color. very sweet. she doesn't like to drink water from a bowl and will only drink it from a hose. ??? but this morning she wasn't interested in it at all. she looks a bit skinny and like she has a skin problem. some parts of her are bald. (please keep in mind that i do not let her have contact with my dogs and that i always wash my hands after i've handled her). we've noticed that she humps a lot for dominance. that's all we really know about her. jim went door to door with her (down my street) a couple of days ago and no one knew who she belonged to. none of my neighbors had ever even seen her before (i hadn't either).

i gave her food today for the first time. i didn't want to cause i thought if she belonged to someone that she wouldn't go back if i fed her. but i just don't think she does. oh - and no tags to speak of. of course.

here are some pics.

see some of the missing hair?

(more)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

makes me think shar-pei (notice the neck is hairless):

so what should i do? we have a horrible shelter here in denton. it's a kill shelter, too. but should i just call animal control? let me know what you guys think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Well...If its a kill shelter, maybe you could call around and see if there are any in the nearest cities that arent. She could very well have mange...but it could also be from poor nutrition...Grace had some bald spots and even sores on her body and once she got some quality food they went away...it took time, but they went away. If you plan on keeping her for any amount of time...Id take her to the vet and at least get her a check up...they can do a skin scrape, they arent too expensive, just to tell you whether or not it is mange.

She looks like she has some Pitty in her...she is really a gorgeous pup...Its just too bad people dump their animals like that...ya know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd call the vets in your area and see if they have a list of rescue groups. We keep a 5 page list of area rescue groups. A skin scrape wouldn't hurt either, like Melissa mentioned.

Keep us updated!

Stephanie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Oh man Jane, another one? Jeez, doesn't anyone take responsibility for their dogs?? Ugh.

Well, like Steph says... see if you can get ahold of some rescue groups that can place the dog. I would call the shelter as a last resort.

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Jane, I agree with Steph and Jodi. Here is a list of shelters in Texas: http://muttcats.com/shelters/texas.htm I can see why you think she has some Bully in her. Poor girl! She really is a pretty dog .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor thing I hope everything works out, I'd call vets like Steph said, they can be very helpful

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the info guys. i will try and see if i can get her into a rescue here.

but my question is - should i try and find her owners first? i don't know for sure that she is a stray.

i seriously hate this neighborhood...now you guys know why.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww, the poor thing. I'm glad you're looking out for her. Good luck finding her home, or at least a no kill shelter.

Rhonda

Tags
animal control