Any dog care advice please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Any dog care advice please!

Hello i'm new to keeping a dog and do not and haven't ever owned one. i've been researching dog care. I have decided on a border collie prehaps from rescue any advice would be very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Border Collies are very active dogs. I would recommend doing a lot of breed research. If you choose a border collie make sure to have a big yard that is totally enclosed. Also, if you get a border collie you'll have to watch them with your kids if you have any. They are great with kids, but will nip as they try to "herd" them. It is not malicious, but pure instinct.

Find a good quality breeder that will be there for you. Find a high quality feed to feed. Make sure to talk to your local vet to find out their vaccination schedule. Decide what method of training you'll use too.

Crate training is highly recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

www.puppychow.com has a breed selector where you take a test about your ideal dog: energy level, shedding, grooming needs, etc. and it comes back with dog breeds that match your needs. I have a border collie/lab mix and she is a wildchild. Constantly running here and there and herding me while I walk to her food and water bowls to feed her. You need to consider things such as amount of grooming you want to give (or pay for), energy level that you want, amount of hair that the dog sheds, and if you have kids you need to take them into consideration b/c some dogs can get a little rambunctious. Border Collies don't neccessarily need a lot of grooming. The hair beneath their feet and around their potty areas needs to be clippered about every 6 weeks or so, along with the nails being clipped. If you buy a pair of clippers to do it yourself, be careful to cut away from any flaps of skin b/c you WILL cut them. They also need to be brushed several times a week with a good slicker brush.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Here's a link to a great article about bring home a puppy: Bringing Home Your New Puppy

Even if you get an older dog and not a puppy, some of the same principles will apply.

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Newborn Pup

Cool New Mom to Dobie-Girl

When I was researching which breed to select for me and my family, the one suggestion I came across frequently was to give any dog a "job". And this was especially important for a breed like the Border Collie. They were bred to work and so are much happier when they know their job and can work at it. I've seen them used in Agility a lot and they are so intelligent! That was one reason I didn't get one. After taking care of the kids I don't have enough energy to keep up to one! Good luck with your decision! It's hard when you fall in love with every dog like I do!

sammykos
Namaste

Tags
border collie, crate training, lab mix, older dog, water bowl