Any suggestions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Any suggestions?

Hi all - I hope someone has some thoughts to help. We just got our 2nd dachshund - Molly - a few days ago. She had been in a puppy mill before a family adopted her, then realized she and their 3 y/o didn't get along and they gave her to the humane society. She's about 6 years old.

We've had our other doxie, Oskar, for over 5 years. We had expected that he would try to be the dominant dog because that's how he has behaved with other dogs that we've babysat or visited. But, Molly seems to be trying to take the top dog spot in the home and for the most part he's let her.

This is the frustrating part - she's marking around the house in an effort to make it hers. I read the crate training article and we have been working on it, but she cries and howls non-stop in there. She marked by the food dish, if Oskar picks up one of his toys and then puts it down she marks near it, generally any spot that smells too much like him gets a little baptism. We take her out frequently to try to prevent it as much as possible but.... maybe I should by stock in carpet cleaner.....

Also, she has really bonded with my husband and now gets a lot of separation anxiety if she sees him leave the room. She'll follow him around downstairs, but if he goes upstairs she cries and whines until he comes back. Do you think this will get better with time??

She's a sweet little girl who's had a tough life (her tail is only 3" long - vet thinks it was chewed off at the puppy mill) and we want her to be happy. Any help you can give to help us give her a good home is appreciated!

Jen & the gang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm bumping this up for you so that you will get more responses.

Have you talked to a vet or animal-behaviorist about this? Also, how long exactly have you had her?

Maybe you could take her for some private training lessons to build the bond between you two and to help her feel more secure (so she won't feel the need to mark as much). ???

I'm not too sure if that's right or not, so you will want to wait for others to respond!

I wish you all the luck. That's so cool you got a shelter dog, btw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Miss New Booty

Hi Jen! Jane had some good questions/suggestions.
I have 2 dachshunds! It's great to meet another doxie owner, Dappledoxie and Sasami have doxie's too.

I'm thinking so, but are your dachshunds spayed/neutered? It definately sounds like a behavorial marking thing between them. What are you cleaning the carpet with? A cleaner like Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle work really well to clean spots, so they don't keep going back to it. Water and vinegar work also.
It might be a little bit from all she's been through, too. Poor girl! And that is horrible about her tail. So glad you and your family took her in. And it's only been a little bit, I'm sure it will get better as she settles in to her new surroundings. Dachshunds tend to have a little seperation anxiety to start with, too. My doxie Kahlua, knows right when we are leaving, he starts crying and runs right to the crate, lol. I'm sure it will get better with time, once she realizes where your husband is going, only upstairs, and that you guys aren't going to leave her like the previous people. Bless her heart!

Keep us posted and I look forward to hearing more about Oskar and Molly!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

more info

We just brought Molly home on Wednesday so she's really new to the home. Oskar is neutered and Molly has just been spayed. She has to have her stitches out at the end of this week so we were planning on talking to our vet then too. I appreciate all the posts!

Jen

Like the cowboy said - Get a long little doggy!! (or 2, or 3, or....)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

She is still so new that this is an adjusting period for her. If you ever catch her in the act of marking, tell her NO and take her outside. Then give her a bathroom command ("go potty"). You should give this command every time you take her outside to go to the bathroom.

Also, she was just spayed, so I would give her a little chance to adjust. It is pretty painful for a female dog to be fixed and she probably can't hold it as long as she normally could either.

All those things combined aren't helping. I'd just give her a little time but still be firm about her potty habits (telling her NO in the house and using a command outside).

I think you are doing a good job so far with taking her out a lot!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Miss New Booty

Good points, Jane! Yah, I was just thinking if she had just been spayed she might still be in a little discomfort. And when you talk to the vet about it and she gets her stiches out, they might do a urine check to make sure everything is ok. It sounds behavoral, but you never know. When we got our dachshund, Kahlua fixed, he started peeing around the house which he hadn't done before and we didn't know why. I was extremely worried that maybe something was wrong after the surgery, so we took him to the vet and they did a quick urine culture and everything was fine. Turned out.. he was just depressed!! My poor guy, lol, he took it hard. Some doggie prozac and he was much better after a couple days.
Once she settles in, I think everything will be just fine! When do we get to see pictures of your babies?

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Everyone has given great suggestions . I don't have much to add, but I wanted to say welcome! I have a dachshund too . He used to mark alot when he was younger but now he rarely does it. I think it was just because he was young. Good luck .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help - this morning she tried marking right on Oskar!!! (Needless to say he wasn't really thrilled). She's going to the vet Saturday to have the stitches out so we'll talk to the vet more then.

As for pictures, I will get them up as soon as I can!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh my! Poor Oskar!!! Good luck on Saturday and let us know what the vet says!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
crate training, humane society, puppy mill