Anyone outdoors with their dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Anyone outdoors with their dog?

I'd like to go on nature walks every morning. With my crappy job and spawn-of-Satan mother in law, I think it will do me some good to see what I love every day. I'm getting a basket for Loki because he gets tired after around three quarters of a mile and a bike tow for Spyro and Chewy. Spyro is getting old and Chewy has a flat face. The river itself is about 3 miles away and we will probably do a mile walk around the nature area. I believe Luna will be able to do this with time without having to be put in the tow.

I also want to go kayaking this year. Spyro has gone before and really enjoyed it...so much that we couldn't keep him out of the kayak when we were done. No doubt in my mind that Luna will enjoy it as well.

So do any of you do any outdooring with your dogs?

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We go hiking whenever possible, there are all sorts of mountains and nature trails here . I also do tracking work with Sophie (we don't compete, though, since I have no car to get to trials with).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

growing up with dogs we use to go hiking in the gatineau park now that we have a small old man, we like going down to hubbys dads who has a beach and lots of land for spezza to run

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Newborn Pup

We go hiking and on long walks every day no matter the weather.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We love hiking and camping here, spring is the best season..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Newborn Pup

Always take the dog if you're going on a walk anywhere... Our dogs want to be with us, however it works.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

One of the big reasons why I originally wanted a dog was because I wanted a hiking/walking/running buddy It's just not as fun doing that stuff alone!

I take my dog on a long walk/run every morning. We usually stay out for at least an hour, more when we can, depending on what I have to get done that day. I take him hiking every chance we get, which isn't as often as I'd like currently because of where we live and the distance we have to travel to get to the nice hiking/nature areas. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we can move somewhere outside of the city.

In the Spring/Summer we always try to get some camping in and always bring our dog with us then too. He's not a huge fan of swimming but other than that he's usually doing all kinds of outdoor activities right along with us.

I'm pretty obsessed with my dog and take him as many places with me as I can. Luckily he has just as much fun with it as I do.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 01-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Newborn Pup

Have you checked your county government website for the location of your local dog parks? And check the local papers for Weekend-type articles with titles like "Take A Walk! Little-Known Hiking Trails In Your Area". There may be a hidden park or historical site you don't know about.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
spawn-of-Satan mother in law

Yes I love getting outdoors. I have been particularly lazy lately with the weather being so crappy but when I do get out I really enjoy it and every time I tell myself I need to get out more. I used to be out every day hiking, I live in the woods with a lot of lakes and rivers around so it's a great hike and the dogs love it...especially when it's muddy! Haha. However, ever since I moved out to the country and away from town and sidewalks, the dogs get to run all the time and I find myself sitting around more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtnamas42 View Post
Have you checked your county government website for the location of your local dog parks?
People here are DUMB. We have had multiple dogs killed at my closest dog park

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Playful Pup

Well I managed to get out with Brenna a little today. I will be doing more, she is 4 months and had a combo shot 3 weeks ago so I no longer have to be so careful about where. I had to go to the Post Office this morning and then we walked around downtown a little. She needs more practice on staying on task and standing facing forward while waiting for traffic lights. I hope the weather permits walking back a forth to church this week. I can dress for reasonable amounts of cold, but not rain. It is about a half mile with no sidewalks.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Playful Pup

This thread seems a good place to share an old story about Aster. She returned to live with us after retiring as a guide dog at 10 years old. She loved her afternoon walks. One year the day before Christmas, we were walking in a wooded area. With the snow falling through the trees, it looked like a Christmas card. I was really enjoying. I looked at Aster running along with her nose to the ground and thought ''You are missing it all.'' She likely thought I was missing it all with my nose 5 feet off the ground.

Tags
biking, hiking, kayaking, outdoorsing, rafting