Anyone own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier?? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

We have 6 foot fences in the back yard but were hoping to be able to keep her in the front yard where the fence isn't as high. I'll see how she goes as a puppy and if jumping is going to be her thing then she'll go in the backyard. My neighbours two doors up own them and they only have a small fence and their dogs never jump it...I guess they must have trained them that way. I don't have a problem with the dog sleeping inside...my b/f would if I told him now that she would have to sleep inside but once she's here and not coping with the outdoors...well we'd get her own little bed for indoors!lol Just don't tell my b/f I said that!! We have really warm nights right now so I'd have a bit of time to break my b/f in to that one!! I don't see it as cons...it's expected with such strong dogs but it is good to be reminded so thankyou!!
I was just having a look cause the size of your dogs made me think we might be talking about a slightly different dog! We are! From the size of your dog it looks like you own American Staffordshire Terriers where as I am after a Staffordshire Bull Terrier....they only get to a maximum of 38 pounds! Along the same breeding lines from what I can gather but just smaller in size! And the best part about Staffy's in aus...they are completely accepted as a safe family pet...no people freaking out when I take her for a walk etc.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:17 PM

Mine are actually American Pit Bull Terriers and they look more like Staffies than Amstaffs. Here they are all considered high risk dogs and they have even included boxers in that catagory due to people claiming their dogs as boxers instead of terriers. My dogs are bigger than most they aren't purebreds so they very well could be mixed with something else. I have seen all of these breeds range from 35 up to 100 pounds so you never know what you will end up with. The mother of my two was about 35/38 pounds and my two are almost twice her size at 60 lbs. (they were not supposed to get that big) The only real difference between amstaffs and staffies are that the staffies are an english blood line and amstaffs are american blood lines originally taken from the english. The two lines were bred for different physical characteristics. But as I said before every dog is different so you can't even go by the basic characteristics that I have seen. Besides unless you know bloodlines and they are purebreds its really pretty hard to tell exactly what you have. Its mostly in the training and how you handle things so you should be fine. Luckily they are pretty healthy dogs. No real problems with hip displaysia (sp?) or eye problems. Sometimes allergies can be a problem (the dog not you) and I have heard of a couple cases of cancer but not as bad as some other breeds. So that is a plus. As long as you don't see any agression that might have come from breeding its really all up to the dog and you how its going to turn out. I see lots of problem dogs everyday so I come home and hug my dogs everyday because they are so wonderful and I am sure that when you find the right one you will feel the same way.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Dena I can't believe that boxers are being classed as high risk dogs! I'm so glad people are a bit more educated around here. American Pit bulls still have their bad reputation but slowly people are learning more and more about them. In the last couple of years Staffy's have become increasingly popular and everyone will stop and admire a staffy now if one's on a walk or something! My mum used to think that anything that had pit bull in it had to be a dangerous dog but even she has become more educated now! She used to tell me I could never get a staffy cause I haven't had children yet but she is quite happy for me to get one now...she has learnt that any type of dog can have aggressive traits not just the ones that everyone claims to be dangerous! And that the ones that are supposed to be dangerous can be the sweetest most loving dog. One of her workmates had to put her labrador to sleep cause it attacked a person and that was a huge eye opener for her. I appreciate all the help that you have given me with Terriers!!! It has helped me out so much!!! While I will look for the smaller breed if it happens to surprise me and grow into a large dog I'll still love it all the same!! Nacho did it to me....I think he was turning into a horse he was getting that tall and he was only supposed to stay medium sized....turns out he had a bit of great dane in him which was only obvious as he got older....as a puppy he didn't look like one at all!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:58 PM

hi i have 2 irish staffs 1 is pied the other blue n i would recommend anyone to get 1 they are the most loyal, loving dogs around
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

craig this thread was started almost two years ago! I own a staffordshire now (have for almost two years) and yes they are great dogs!
(BTW - the date of each post is above the username )

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
nikky

i like the breed but they need so much attention and being that you have only just had Emily i would not. Last night my b/f dogs had a very heated fight and he has a pitbull a staffy and a cane corso. It was the staffy and the Pit bull fighting and the staffy hurt the pit bull so bad that this morning he has to be put down and my b/f said that he has to put his staffy down to. they both were put down at 10:30 this morning. but if they get the attention that they need they are fine i think no hard feelings towards the breed. My b/f works alot and didnt have the time that he needed with them dont get me wrong every minute he had he was with them. R.I.P BOYS

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:38 PM
nikky

i just seen it new oops im a wally

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM

Hehe, I have done that a few times.. When you first join you dont look at the dates!
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:30 PM

thanks rs bunny n glad you got your staff
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

that's alright craig, we've all done it!
Sorry to hear about your dogs Nikky

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 AM

Carmen, before I read the actual date of this thread, I thought you were getting another dog!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 AM

can anyone tell me how to post pics up pls?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm sleep deprived Denise but haven't totally lost my mind!!

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigieboi
can anyone tell me how to post pics up pls?
Read this: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/faq.p...chment_explain and see if it helps you any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
animal shelter, bull terrier, bull terriers, lap dog, local shelter, obedience training, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bull terriers, pit bulls, pure bred, staffordshire bull terrier