Anyone use/know things about Nutro? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Anyone use/know things about Nutro?

I was at Petsmart yesterday and there was a lady there from the company Nutro and she was telling me about them. Of course they are gonna say they are the best everyone does that, lol. I just want to know what you guys think. To me they sound worth a try, Rebel is picky and he has skin problems and Claire, well, she'll eat pretty much anything, but she does have flaky skin sometimes. The lady said that they guarantee that their food helps coat probelms from things such as this. Just wanted some opinions before I decide to give it a try. Thanks! :tongue2:

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ingredient wise, I think it's one of the better diets out there, especially when put up against the 'mainstream' diets. I don't have dogs though, so I can't offer personal experience.

Here's the website: http://www.nutroproducts.com/

Stephanie

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for the site, I am looking at it right now. I hope that it is good for the coat, my little Rebel could use something nice for his coat. He has mildly flaky skin and on his chest he lost his hair, it is coming back now, me and my vet just couldn't figure out what it was. (to be honest though, I think I need a better vet, she didn't even do a skin scrap) I am taking my pets to a new vet once I move, so, we will see how it goes. Thanks!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

The flaky skin could be from several things, dry skin (it is winter), diet, or a medical condition. If it doesn't seem to be bothering him much, maybe a dietary switch would help? Most often, pets have reactions to corn and/or poor quality ingredients like by-products.

My dog is on Nutro and has been for his whole life (11 years). I think that it is a good brand. Some formulas use collective feed terms (ie. poultry fat which doesn't specify which poultry) but for the price range, I think it is one of the best diets. In the next price range, I have had great success with Innova in my cats. It isn't too expensive but sometimes it isn't readily available. I have noticed that their coats are a lot shinier, Max's eye gunkies are gone and his skin doesn't seem to be as dry.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

My dog has been on Nutro since last year and loves it! She gets the one for sensitive stomachs. My vet sells science diet and that's what she was eating until I started buying it at the pet store(better price). Then the pet store stopped carrying the science diet and switched to Nutro, so I decided to give it a try.

I've Been Frosted!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Candycane-Rebel & Claire's skin are flaky on and off over time. Rebel's is more flaky all the time. I don't know that it matters but he does live outside right now but he will be moving inside this weekend, Yay! hehe Anyway, I sometimes think that he has a sensitive stomach just because he doesn't eat much and he always seems to have gas, burping and such after having a treat or food, even water sometimes. I could be wrong, I figure animals can get gas just like people right? lol Right now he is eating Purina One, Claire eats Pedigree puppy. I don't bathe them often, could that be it? I know it isn't good to give baths too often, but is not enough almost as bad?

masterjack-So your dog loves it? That's great, I hope Rebel likes it, he is kinda picky. I know Claire will like it great! She's alittle pig sometimes, lol.

Thanks for all the replys you guys, I think I will try it. If nothing else at least b/c I like that it is more natural than the food I feed now. I hope that it does help though, I just love my babies. It is affordable though, and I need that, lol.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I feed my dogs Nutro Natural, and we love it. IMO it's the best out there in that price range. My dogs like it, but they don't eat too much so that I have to measure out thier food or anything. I do have to say though, the cats seem to love it too, so look out

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, I bet they do, lol!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Dappledoxie if you switch your dogs to Nutro, they will have much better coats, its almost a guarantee. (Purina and Pedigree have a lot of by products ) There is a list called the Whole Dog Journal, it is basically a list of dog foods, recommending the better ones, and Nutro got a good write up on that list. It has a lot less by products. By products are what may be making your dogs have flaky skin. Harlie, our Boxer, has the worst skin ever, and flakes constantly, when we first got her, we could peel her skin, like she had a sunburn!! It was completley disgusting, and sad. We bought her from a bad bad pet store, and they were feeding her senior pedigree food, we changed her to Iams first, she wouldnt eat it (very picky) then we tried Purina, and she would eat it. Then our friends recommended Nutro, and Harlie ate that up and her flakes slowly went away! We are no longer on Nurto, not for any bad reasons though. I would recommend it myself. It should really help the dogs skin, if their problems are from diet. I hope you have luck with it! It will be much better for them too!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Oh, Ya know what else!? Less poop! More good/useable stuff and less filler junk = much less doggie poo

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hey yeah, that's one thing the lady told me that I am sure I will like, so it is true? I think I am gonna switch. Once the doggies get done with the new bags I just bought, lol.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Make sure you switch them slowly. I'd let them get about halfway through the old bag and then start mixing.

Stephanie

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh yeah, I was gonna start to mix the food. Now, how's the best way to do that. Mix in the bag or mix in the bowl. Mix in the bowl is what I did any other time I switched. Like do a small percent the first day, then more the next, so on for how many days/weeks?

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

If I have no rush I usually do 1/4 new for a week, then half and half for another week, 3/4 new for a week and then 100% new stuff. I don't think you really have to take that long though.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had Tasha on Iams at first, but she would throw up a lot. I thought she was just trying to get attention cause she would always do it at bed time. Well I came to find out that there was too much protein in the food for her. She couldn't handle it. Thats when I started really looking into the all natural dog foods and I found Nutro. Tasha is on the Lamb meal and rice formula. She has always had a beautiful coat, but it probably helps to keep that AND it makes for LESS mess in the backyard LOL (Less and smaller poos which is nice for me) I really like it and try to promote it because its really good for the dogs.

:blob4: Amber:blob4:

Tags
barf diet, dog food, dog owners, dry food, litter box, nutro natural choice, pet store, puppy food, wet food