Aster, the final part - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aster, the final part

I just got this email:

Quote:
Hi Lizz. Sorry I haven’t beenable to call….we have several dogs “on the move” including twocoming off death row and very long transports to get them safe…..so amvery busy. I am home now for five minutes, checking my email toconfirm transports are going ok, and I am off to partake in one now. Would have really liked to have this conversation in person, but I can’tand my cell phone is dead so I can’t do it from the road either.

I had a conversation with Guy yesterday…..allhe talked about was all the things “wrong” with Aster. She’snot crate trained (not true), all her obedience went out the window, and thathe had very little bond with her. Not one positive thing. That really upset me and made me sad for her. She’s a very nicedog. Usually, in a couple of days, people know whether they love the dogor not. He doesn’t. I know that you are the one who wantsthis , and wants it to work. I think you’re a fabulous animalperson. But I don’t think it will—the dog was stressed enoughto get a urinary tract infection (kidneys are the stress organ in dogs)….soit’s not working for her either. Too many cats, and you haveneighbors, so crate-training is a problem, etc etc.

I had a lot of concerns coming into it,and now I have more. It sounds like it’s not what Guy expectedeither. She IS crate-trained, she HAS obedience training. We haveall her records from her whole life. There would be no reason for me to “misrepresent’this dog—we always are honest with all we know, as it doesn’t doanyone any good if you’re not—especially the dog—so I don’tknow what’s going wrong here…….but it sounds like she’snot happy either. So, as much as I know you would be willing to work onit, I think that she should not go back. Perhaps you need to go to a shelter, andselect the dog….or let Guy do it. OR take in a puppy, so you cantrain it yourself, and won’t have “baggage” to dealwith. No matter how nice the adult dog, there is always baggage.

Wishing you all the best,

Dagmar

As you can imagine I am in tears. I don't really want to talk about it right now. But I thought you should know.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so sorry this is happening...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aww Lizz. I'm sorry hon.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

So what they did is just take her away from you?!?! How is that fair in the least bit? I am so so sorry Lizz.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is awful.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am so sorry Lizz!

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm so very sorry

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm so sorry Lizz

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys. I can not believe how Dagmar handled this. I keep looking at Aster's pictures and find it so hard to believe she is gone from my life already. I guess I'm still in shock.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Lizz, I know I already told you this on POTN but I am so sorry it turned out this way. Dagmar was a tough person to deal with from the beginning and it sounds like she was looking for anything so she wouldn't have to return Aster to you.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

this just makes me furious! how can she do this to people?! i would seriously be showing up at her front door. what a b*tch!! this is NOT how you get dogs adopted. and she should know that all dogs are going to be stressed when they move from the shelter to home. this just freaking kills me!! i am so so sorry for you. what did Guy have to say? for you!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with Jane. That is the biggest bunch of crap! They're saying she's stressed? So, how is moving her from environment to environment going to help that stress? She should have been left with you! Sounds like these people have sticks up their and don't know what they're doing!

Karen

[

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm so sorry Lizz. I agree with Denise. It sounds like that person was just looking for an excuse to not bring her back to you. That email was pretty heartless. I filled out an application to rescue a Bull Terrier....now I'm wondering if I want to go through everything that you just went through.

Rhonda

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

And people wonder why most people go through breeders... Couldn't talk to you in person, my butt. More like didn't have the guts to... I'm so sorry you had to go through this. That's ridiculous!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Jenny, I agree with you, I too understand why some people would prefer to deal directly with a breeder. Rescuing a dog is extremely rewarding but in some cases, it is a real hassle! There are so many emotions involved too. Does the rescue think I am a good fit? Is there someone else that wants the same dog? Once the dog gets here, will I be able to keep it? And also the part of hearing from the shelter leaves a person on pins and needles. Of course the people running the shelters, are extremely busy but at the same time, the individual that expresses interest in adopting a dog, is eager to get the process going.

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, bull terrier, crate trained, crate training, obedience training, urinary tract infection