Aster part 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aster part 2

Well, things are going so so. She has ALOT of things that she needs work on. No house manners (not refering to 'house training'), still WAY too interested in the cats, and if she's crate trained, then so are my fish. I emailed the rescue just now to see what advice they have and if they could extend our foster to the next week. I must say too, that Guy has not felt a connection with her and I am not completely sure I have either. Don't get me wrong, she's a great dog and does have alot of redeeming qualities and I don't want to just give up on her, that's why we want the week, instead of having to decide tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

aww Lizz I'm sorry. I hope they grant you the week so you can give it a longer try. Sometimes a few days just doesn't cut it.

I hope it works out for you.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i hope you are able to figure it out, lizz. i know how hard it can be. connecting with an animal is a very specific thing. we are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

btw lizz - what exactly does aster need help with? i'm just curious.

and again - i know how hard it is to find the perfect match. that's probably why i haven't gotten a 3rd dog.
<---for you.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well they are giving us more time which is good.

Jane, her 2 main issues are her crate behaviour and her intensity with the cats. She has several other things too (but more easily worked with). In her crate she whines, barks, claws, acts completely afraid and scared. Today she destroyed the crate pad. Not how an 'experienced' crate trained dog should act. It's something that can be worked with, sure. But I worry for the neighbors and her noise, she's much louder then a puppy. And she does this when Guy get's up at 2 am and leaves, and when I leave. God knows how long she goes on when we are out. Plus, crate training takes time, time I didn't schedual for since I thought she was already (though they say she was crated regularily right up until we got her ). With the cats she just fixates on them and you can't break her away. Even if you take her away, do some commands to get her mind off of them, as soon as you release her she goes back. She does seem a little better this evening though. I certainly want to give her a fair chance. She adores me and Guy, she really does want to please and she's certainly got alot of redeeming qualities.
She does do well confined to the bedroom with Dante, however the 2 of them playing is VERY destructive. Plus they are still 'sorting out the placement' and I'd hate for them to get into a fight over some object while I'm not around to seperate them. It's just too big of a risk

Come drop by!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I hope the next few days help.

Rhonda

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Playful Pup

lixx,
The crate behavvoir can be overcome don't give her another crate pad yet she will just destroy it!! Stuff some Kongs I put peanut butter and broken up biscuits then freeze it. That will take her mind off being in a crate. Never let her out when she is throwing a fit that make her think if she throw a fit she will get her own way.

With the cats is there any possiable way you can just remove her from that situation don't let her see them? It takes time and patenice It will take you more then a week to work out theses problems. Good Luck
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Don't worry, she won't get another pad for awhile She gets a stuffed frozen kong and several other chewing items. I do ignore her when she is fussing, but it's not so much my patience, it's my neighbors that I worry for.
I can't go locking up 7 cats whenever she's out and about the house. It's not fair or practicle. When she is crated it's just her and Dante in the room. It's not like they tease her during the day.

She is showing some improvement though, so there is hope. I am off tomorrow so we'll work some more on 'household manners'.

Come drop by!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I hope things begin to look up...I am no good with training so I can't give any advice, mine are kinda sorta crate trained...they go in at 10 and come out at 6 lol any time over that and they cry...my big dog sleeps on my bed...but my cat does tease them in the crate, but I let them out to play with her and then put them back in and she leaves them be after that lol...

While away on vacation I thought alot about you getting this dog and how much you wanted her so I wish you luck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks.

Well things are going downhill again But this time it's not Aster. Back on Tuesday I noticed Aster licking herself and there was a bit of dishcharge coming from her. I emailed the rescue and they said not to worry just keep an eye on it...So yesterday (Thursday) I emailed saying ,look it's getting worse, she'd leaking around the house she needs to go to the vet. I asked if they wanted to take her to their vet (since we a re'fostering' at the moment) or if it was okay to take her to my vet. They wanted to go to their vet (which is fine) so they picked her up at 4:45 for a 6 pm appointment. As Dagmar went out the door she stated she would call me and let me know what they said. At 8PM I called and left a message on her cell asking what was up and to please call. AT 9PM I called again asking if we could expect her back tonight and what was up. Nothing. This morning I see an email that was sent after 11PM!

Quote:
Hi Lizz……just to let you know, really wasn’tmuch in the urine sample, but she was showing a bit of sensitivity in herkidneys, so perhaps it was starting……..the vet put her onantibiotic anyhow, just to be safe. The ears are fine.

Have a good night,

Dagmar
Notice the complete LACK of mentioning when I can expect my girl back!! And certainly no appology for getting back to me so late. I have been stressing relentlessly and now I feel like I may never see her again. I wish I would have just taken her to my vet. ARRRGGGG I am so frustrated and disappointed with this rescue. I have never met someone so bad at communicating. I mean she had my baby girl and she couldn't be bothered to pick up her cell and let me know things were okay. What I am going to do? I have such a bad feeling...

Come drop by!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh Geesh...Aster must be so confused **** Dagmar!!

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I am still waiting for Dagmar to call me and arrange to return my Aster! I have left a message on her cell....

Come drop by!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

What a piece of work!

Tags
crate trained, crate training