Attachment issues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Attachment issues

As some of you know I just got a new pup. IMO he was abused and I couldn't leave him in that situation any longer. He was being left in an empty apartment for hours on end without any human interaction and no potty time.
I brought my little Killer home. He is very attached to me as well as other people in my house. He cries at the door whenever anybody leaves (except my dad, he growls at him for some unknown reason). He has only pooped once since he's been here in the yard. All the other times he has pooped in the house. I seriously HATE to crate him but I think it is coming to that. He lifts his leg on furniture and he poops in the kitchen. He is not fixed but he will be in April (I have an appointment set up for him). He sleeps in my bed with me and he won't get up until I do. I try to make a schedule for him, so I wake up at a certain time to make him pee. He is my dog and no one in the house wants anything to do with him.. My dad's roommate WILL take him out for me when she is here. I am so very thankful for that because I am at school for 4 days a week.

This is very hard for me because he is constantly on my mind. I sometimes find myself calling him my dead dogs name. I had a dog named Loki and he looked exactly like Killer (that was NOT my reasoning for getting him) and I find it hard not to say hello for him. I know I can make him a good companian dog but I just feel so lost right now.

I'm kind of venting and not really asking for help so post if you like.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sure it will get better. I had one puppy that cried every night until he was hoarse for a week when I first got him. He just had to adjust.

Don't worry about the name thing either. I had a black and tan dachshund named 'Louie' for 16 years, but I found myself calling my dogs his name by accident a couple of times. None of them even look like him! We just get in to ruts and our brains will revert back to stuff we know. Especially since you're in school, there is already a lot on your mind. Don't sweat it.

If you do end up crating him, it doesn't mean it has to be that way forever. You know what's best for him. It's so great that you have him now He's going to get the attention that he needs. I bet he's so happy to have someone who he can feel attached to.

As for the growling at dad thing, you could try having your dad give him a treat when he comes through the door. That should win Killer over pretty quick.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Newborn Pup

I know how you feel. Dogs can be frustrating and make you feel boxed into a corner and have no idea what to do. You clearly want to do the right thing.

I'm going to tell you something, but it's not meant as an insult and I certainly don't want you to feel bad.

You don't know how to potty train a dog.

That's it. You just need to learn to potty train a dog. It's not the dog that's bad, and you're not bad a bad person, you just don't know how to do it.

If you want to know, that basic gist of it is to take your dog out on leash every two hours (or even more at first), and give lots of love and praise and a small training treat when he goes outside.

As far as crating goes. My dog is always crated when I'm not home and I keep my away time to under 4 hours. He likes his crate, when he senses I'm leaving he runs in there before I even ask probably because he knows I always give him a little treat.

Hopefully you're not thinking of crating when you're home. You can use dog fences to keep your dog in the same room with you so you can keep an eye on him.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

No I'm not going to crate when I'm home.

Also I have been taking him outside every 2 hours and I do walk around with him for a few minutes (usually 10 minutes) to make sure he goes. It just seems that I take him out for all that time and he comes in and poops on the floor.

*Missy*
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Newborn Pup

:-) That's the second and harder part. Eternal Vigilance. Everyone says what you say, they go when you come back inside.

Try using a doggy fence to keep him in the same room you so you can keep an eye on him. It's hard, but you've got to watch very closely. Believe me, it is tough. I had my eye on my dog nonstop. I'd be working in the kitchen and just watching him. Reading and watching him. Watching TV and watching him.

When I'd watch TV I had doggy fences set up to keep him in my sight.

Others agree with me. It's all about watching very closely, and when he starts to poop or pee just run over scoop him up and take him outside, don't scold just cheer when he goes outside. Poop is a little easier because they usually spin a couple times before going so sometimes you can catch them before they get any out.

It will get easier pretty quickly though. Good luck!

Yes, it's that hard, but you can do it!!!

Matt

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You know I think it's kind of weird. He WAS potty trained before but when my stepsis took over his care (he was her dog in the first place but my mom started taking care of him after she left him locked in a crate 24/7) he lost all his discipline I guess. She would leave him locked in an empty apartment for hours on end and would let him out when she felt like it. I feel kind of bad because I know that he probably held it until he couldn't hold it anymore. I can leave him go around the house and he is almost always okay. It's just sometimes when I leave the house he goes on the floor. I think he's done it maybe once while I've been here. All those times he had gone out beforehand so that's what makes me think it's an attachment thing. He cries and claws at the door when I leave and when I come home there is a big pile of poop on the floor. He doesn't pee, just poops. He also poops on the kitchen floor, and that is where we leave the house from.
I know I *might* have to crate him but I really don't want to. Like I said he was locked in a crate a lot and he will probably associate the crate with something bad. I know if I had to I could train him so he would think of his crate as a safe place but honestly I don't think he needs a crate.

I am trying to work on his anxiety issues. When I leave the house I just leave and I don't make a big spectacle of it. It seems like it is working because I don't hear him cry at the door as much as I did when I first brought him home. Also today I left for an hour or two and he didn't poo or pee anywhere.

*Missy*
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Newborn Pup

It's really too bad. I'm glad he's with someone who actually cares enough to take the time to figure this stuff out. A lot of dogs who haven't been rehomed don't even have that, so you should feel good.

I personally would not leave the house without MY dog in a crate, but I understand why you're doing it with this dog for now. Over time you can just randomly leave the crate open and leave treats in there. He'll be OK with it again and then you can start using it. When used correctly, they really do like it.

Thanks for taking care of this dog. I got mine as a puppy but it was kind of the same thing. His human parents weren't responsible, although they are good people, and let their dogs have puppies. They still haven't neutered them and I've offered to pay for it, find a charity to do it for free, everything. I got Kody as a "gift" which was a blessing as I needed it in my life, but it was definitely not the greatest way to go about things.

I have been through a lot, and started my web site because I knew other dog owners were probably frustrated too, and the ones who care can learn to live happily with their dogs.

Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Killer kind of fell into my lap. Like I said the girl wasn't taking care of him and at the same time my mom had her dog with him in the apartment. She didn't want to separate them because really (and I agree with her) it probably would have been too much for Killer. I'm sure he would have coped but I don't think he would have been a happy dog. He was being locked in an apartment and for him to go through that alone is just heart breaking. My mom asked me to get the dog and it actually took me awhile to say yes. I finally told her I would as long as she would help me out in the meantime taking care of him. I am a college student so I don't have much money and I knew he would have to get fixed. I told her I would pay for that with my tax refund but she told me to save the refund and she would go ahead and pay for it. She even paid for extra testing for him so I could start using revolution on him. That is awesome flea and tick stuff BTW but it prevents heart worms so he needed the heart worm test.
Anyway I love the dog and I even joked about going over there and stealing him when no one was home. Now he's my dog so I guess I got my wish. One of the reasons why I agreed to take him was because I didn't want him going to anybody else. I was afraid that they would see his habits and not want to deal with it and he would end up in a shelter. I have a lot of compassion for shelter dogs and I wish that there wasn't such thing as a shelter. Killer has been in our life for so long that I decided he didn't deserve that. I am so happy that he is around.
When I took him to the vet I learned that he might have potential problems in the future with heart murmur and arthritis. After that appointment I was very glad that he wasn't in the care of that girl anymore. She really missed out on having a wonderful companion.
I know he needs some work but I won't ever give up. That dog is all I really think about. Tomorrow I might clean up his crate and bring it in the house anyway and do like you said and put treats inside of it. I just want him to feel safe and I don't want my house to smell like dog, more then is already is (I know just him being him will make it a bit doggy). He really is a great dog he just needs to learn some things.

How can you NOT love a dog that sleeps UNDER the blankets with you.

*Missy*
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi Missy,

We retrieved a rescue from the Palm Springs Shelter in 05 and her name was Peaches. She was a pomeranian. She had such issues when we would go on vacation. I know the reason was her thinking that like her previous owners - we were probably dumpling her.

She was smart as a whip - seriously. I really loved her and she went every where with me. And if she was not with me she would howl so funny and hop like a little low rider car. She passed away from kidney failure in 07 and my heart was crushed. She at least had a great two years before she died. We even had her on Kidney dialysis for about one month to try and save her. I know she knew I did the bes I could and loved her deeply. We had a necropsy on her and it was found that she passed from the food we had given her. She was just so awesome. Shelter rescues are just awesome! My heart would melt when she could not be with me.

NOW, I have Miss Lilli Bean (her photo is my avatar) - talk about "needy", but that is alright. It is just that wonderful we are loved so....Funny thing, I do not worry too much about her whi;e we are on vacation. She is spoiled and does not know the feeling, or meaning of being dumped. She is such the drama!

Last edited by Marilyn Muttroe; 02-24-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Killer just never got the whole potty training thing. You can leave a dog outside all the time but what is that going to teach him about being in the house? I am so very thankful that he is calm inside. He is going to have to learn that he will mostly be an inside dog. I refuse to let him run loose in the yard. I posted in another thread that a big chunk of our fence is gone and that I walk him on the leash to go pee and poo. Even when and if the fence is fixed I would never let him roam free in the yard. He is a very loving a friendly dog and not to mention a chihuahua and even though I live in a small town I absolutely do not trust anyone in this town. Some teenage Paris Hilton wannabe could walk by and see him in the yard and snatch him before I could call him in for dinner. I will NOT let that happen. I live in an area like that and dogs and cats are stolen all the time.
I don't think Killer has a thing thinking I will dump him. He's just not used to being in the house all the time. He is used to being outside and when he has to go he goes. As for going places, I usually take him with me whenever I can but I won't take him if I have to leave him in my car alone. He just cries too much that I can't stand it.
Now that I think about it maybe he thinks that I'm leaving him. There are people here that will take him out to walk and stuff but I don't trust them to do so.

*Missy*
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Newborn Pup

Missy,

I do not blame you. You can never trust having your baby outside if you are living where petnappings occur often. It only takes a second and your life is changed forever.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you thought about starting over with the potty training? Maybe you could get those wee mats and try to at least get him to go on those. Once he can do that, then try to get him to go outside.

I agree with you though, it sounds like some sort of separation anxiety. My puppies hated when I left them every day, so I made it a routine. Every time I left, I put them in the kitchen and gave them a treat or toy (kong). It took about a week, but soon they learned that good things happened when I left.

Instead of crating him, do you have somewhere like the kitchen that you could have him stay? Doing that minimizes their freedom, but isn't as restrictive as a crate. I agree with you that a crate at this point will probably be upsetting for him. They do have little play pen type things for dogs that you could put in a room to keep him from running around everywhere and going where he likes.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Tags
killer