Attack dog/scared of everything that moves dog, any help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Attack dog/scared of everything that moves dog, any help?

One of my dogs, a one year old Papillon named Tatiana, is one of the sweetest dogs you will ever meet. She is pretty much scared of other people/dogs/animals, but if she is far enough away she will go into attack dog mode and bark like crazy, and if they bark back she barks more, but if they walk towards her she goes back into scared of everything that moves mode, hides her tail under her legs, and then hides under my legs(which is an issue if we are on a walk) or begs me to pick her up.
Now, she has always been a timid dog. We got her from a dog breeder, and I sensed she did a few things wrong. She kept the puppies in a back room by themselves, with no other animal contact other then Tatiana, and the three other puppies. When we were picking which one we wanted, all of them were playing, but not Tati, she was just sitting there, looking terrified. In the end we picked Tati, even though there were other playful puppies, and the chance that Tati might not ever come out of her shell. Oh, but she did. She runs and plays with our two other dogs, but I have also noticed outside in our backyard, she is never the chaser, but always the chased. But she has lots of fun, and is quite healthy. She does have issues with eye contact, and, like I said, other dogs or animals that are not her playmates at home. She never bites, she never growls when you pick her up from a nap, now I am not sure if this is because she is so kind, or if she sees me as the pack leader. And, also unlike the other dogs, she hates the car, and almost every time she takes a ride in it, may it be to the vet, the park, or the field they like to play in, she vomits. And also, she can spend hours(unless we stop them) with the other dogs, their faces pressed to the glass, barking at our next door neighbor's dog, which is taller then all of them combined.
I just noticed I forgot to put the breed of dog the other two are, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Romeo(two year old, almost three), and a Maltese, Annabelle(almost one year old.)

So, any tips with the issues above? I cant do anything that would hurt her, even slightly(as in pinch collars, so on) I just could not do it.

Last edited by Joshua; 11-18-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Part of the Pack

It sounds like she has some self esteem issues. My Jellybean will bark like a crazy dog from the inside of her dog house.... When she is out with me and around people or dogs she is hiding between my legs. She is truely too big for that. I did not socialize her well when she was young and took for granted that she was always in a household of multiple dogs.

This article talks about doing basic training and agility classes as well as getting your dog out and about in moderation to boost confidence.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4746856_help...confident.html

On a side note: Although she is super old we spent alot of time out in the water this summer with my family and their dogs. SHe does so much better with people and new dogs now. It will never be like a well socialized dog but I was happy with the progress we made with her this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zylca; 11-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your help! We used to take her to dog training classes, but it just did not work because she was so scared of the other dogs, its a work in progress.

Three dogs, four cats, two hamsters + 10 babies, one bird, and about 30 fish. Animal addict FTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hello I have a papillon too, they can be such great little dogs.

I would agree and say that it sounds like you need to work with her to build up her confidence.

Some of those things you mentioned I don't think are behavioral problems. Like the throwing up in the car - some dogs can get car sick the same way that some people do. Also when my papillon plays with other dogs he always likes to be chased too. Her not biting and growling is a good thing, she shouldn't do those things.

Dogs not showing direct eye contact are displaying submission. It means your dog acknowledges your dominance. If she where to stare at you back, it could mean that she is challenging you or that she doesn't see you as above her in the 'pack'. If you ever observe dogs interacting, usually the submissive one will look away from the dominate one rather than making eye contact.

Submissive doesn't automatically have to mean shy or fearful. My dog is submissive to almost every other dog he meets, but he is still friendly and playful with them.

For the barking, papillons are known to be a pretty vocal breed. If it bothers you, you can train her not to bark. I trained Kit the command "quiet" to get him to stop barking when I ask him too. I also conditioned him to not bark at every little sound he hears.

If you can't take her to classes with other dogs, just work on her confidence at home. Teach her some new tricks or set up an agility course in your back yard. Do you know anyone with calm, friendly dogs that you could try introducing her too?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you for your help also!
Sadly, we don't know any other people all that well with dogs. The only one we really do know is our neighbor's.Their Chocolate Lab is not the "calm" type. Even my brave little trooper, Romeo, hides his tail when he is around him.
We also have agility equipment, jumps and even some weaving poles(not really her thing, but Romeo likes it)
As for tricks, she downs sit, down, walk, and dance(turning in circles while standing on her back legs, which she likes to do) and wait(putting a treat next/near her and saying wait, and when I say "Ok" or "Go" or "Good Girl!" she takes it) teaching her new tricks is not easy, but when she has them, she has them.

Three dogs, four cats, two hamsters + 10 babies, one bird, and about 30 fish. Animal addict FTW.

Last edited by Joshua; 11-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Tags
barking dog, dog, puppie, scared dog