Australian shepherds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Australian shepherds

Ok, So I have another breed I would like to know about. I keep posting these about different breeds, sorry.

After going through my breeds to consider thread on several forums, the dog I have found I am the most interested in is the Australian shepherd. I have done a little bit of research about them and plan to do lots more.

I would like to hear the experiences of everyone who has them and what they are like. I have heard they are velcro dogs, which is something I really like about them.

Also I wont be getting the dog until 2008, but I am interested in finding a breeder before I am ready to go out and get a puppy. I thought that way maybe I could visit the breeder and the parents and even see the litter from when they are born to when I can bring mine home. But I am not sure how to go about finding a breeder. I live in the Texas Panhandle and there are not really any cities here that have real dog shows or anything. Anyone have any ideas or know of any good breeders in or close to the Texas Panhandle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have an Aussie and I absolutely adore him...hes so funny and loving...he is hyper, but an hour a day of ball and hes a happy camper...my dog is a ball-a-hollic...he would play till he drops...he loves to get in bed and cuddle with us, he loves the cat, he is so sweet tempered...2 years ago he broke his front paw, it was a bad break and he never once cried or anything (which of course worried me more) and he was a trooper through it all...I have always wanted an aussie and I wouldn't trade him for anything...he is going on 12 years old now and still acts like a puppy...he loves other dogs...when we go to my grandparents, as soon as he recognizes the area, he starts crying and whimpering cause he knows he will get to play with her girls, its so funny...

He loves to go camping, especially by rivers and creeks (likes to lay in them and fish lol), he does so good in the car, he loves to be loved...he is amazing with kids, even if they are hanging all over him, he plays football with my nephew (5 yrs old) and Brado (nephew) will put the ball up his shirt to run and Puppers with chase him and tackle him and tickle his belly trying to get the ball, and Brado laughs so hard, its so cute...

We take him to get washed once a month, we get him clipped every 3 months and we shave him during summer (I live in Cali so he gets hot) I do recommend them to people, but only if they are going to be an active part of your life, they need constant companionship and do like to play...ALOT lol...

Hope this helped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2524.JPG (36.5 KB, 15 views)

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your post!! Your guy is handsome!!

Does he play frisbee? I am hoping to be able to teach mine to play frisbee. I also plan to make an agility course just for fun and exercise, not really for competing.

I have been doing a lot of research on them and fell in love. So I am almost sure this is the breed I will get. The only problem is finding a breeder. I went the asca website and the closest breeders I found listed there were like 6 hours away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

yeah he does frisbees and he is great at agility, lol he goes up and down slides after my daughter across the bridges and through tunnels with no problems...but his fav toy is his ball lol...they learn fast peppers was a rescue from the pound...he was in a cage with his siblings and my brother fell in love with him, he was my brothers first, when he got sick I took the dog and hes been here for 5 years now, but I have been in his life since he was 6 weeks old...

Good luck on finding a good breeder

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Did you ever think about rescuing an aussie or whatever dog you may choose to get? There are rescue groups that specialize in almost every breed on the internet and they usually have all ages of dogs from pups to seniors. Just an idea!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I would be willing to rescue if I got a pup @ 8 weeks of age. But as big of problem as I am having finding a breeder close by, I dont think I will be finding an Aussie rescue in my area either.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

I found a few rescues in Texas, I dunno how close they are to you...you mentioned you wanted a puppy, well breed rescues do get puppies in from time to time, I know from experiance being with rescue organizations!Hope thes help!

http://www.staraussierescue.org/
http://www.txaussies.com/
http://adopt-an-australian-shepherd....ave-a-pet.com/

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I would be willing to get one from a rescue like I said as long as I can get it at about 8 weeks of age.

Thanks for the links, but Houston is 12 hours from me, and Dallas is about 6 hours. It looks like Dallas area is right now the closest option for breeders or rescues. The hardest part about that is going to see the puppies and stuff. Picking up the puppy is no problem, but how would I know its the right pup for me w/o seeing it first?

I know a lot of people have even had puppies shipped to them. I don't want to have to ship a puppy, I would be willing to go the 6 hours to pick it up, but how do you go about getting a puppy you havent met?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah, I understand not wanting a puppy or dog without seeing it first, just in case it turns out to be the "wrong" one.I mean, not the right one for you.

Would you be willing to drive 6 hours to have a look at puppies??I know that can be a hassle with gas and everything, but would you be willing to?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I think if it was in the Dallas area, I would be able to because my boyfriend has some family there that we could probably go for the weekend or something and we would have a place to stay.

I guess that it would be ok to take the puppy on a 6 hour drive home? As long as we stop for lots of potty breaks? Would it be stressful on the puppy?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM

that's what i was going to suggest maybe just making a short trip out of picking him up. i think a puppy would do just fine on a car ride. when they are that small i think they still sleep alot. good luck!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

puppies do good in cars, but I suggest a crate just to be safe...I know they can get sick or go potty...even worse get scared and being in a crate is so much easier, as well as a harness not just a collar...we take our dogs everywhere, we drove from cali to washington with our big dogs and my small dog traveled everywhere with us even 3 day trips...Good Luck I know its far off but I am happy for you

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!! I will definitely have a crate!! I plan to try crate training this time also!!

Oh I hope this puppy wont get car sick...Zoe gets car sick Although its wierd, cuz sometimes she does, sometimes she doesnt. When she rode with my bf w/o meds she did fine, when she rode with me w/o meds she got sick. Maybe I am a bad driver ...I dunno, but I have to hide her meds really good in a treat before I take her in the car.

I am soo excited!! I can't wait a whole nother year and half for my puppy, but I have to...Oh well I guess it will be even better then after waiting so long right?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:32 PM

I have an aussie. She is now about 1 1/2 years old, I've had her since she was a pup (she is still a puppy if you ask me). She has ALOT of energy..and I may be understating. This dog must have some room to run or some way to work off all the energy.

I love my aussie "Cookie" but I feel she would have been better as an only dog, she constantly needs to care for everyone in the home, including the other dogs, cats, us, and needs to herd everything. She is much more calm when she is with me on a one on one situation and not distracted with the need to care for everyone and the continual check ups she feel compelled to do. It's hard for her to "relax". When she does just plop over with her head in my lap,,,oh she is such a love.

She isn't the largest in our home but she has the largest personality and is definately the leader of the pack. She is such a smart dog, she need to be stimulated mentally and physically. She is a handful, and most aussies I've ever known are handfuls.

People will define what a handful is differently. I have to be pretty constantly up on what Cookie is up to or into and while she has a beautiful loving personality she isn't necessarily inclined to "please" me. My german shep will go out of his way to get my approval and while Cookie enjoys my approval, she isn't driven to achieve it.

If you get an Aussie, my advice is take the time for socialization and training. I would offer this advice on any breed but of any dog I have ever owned or known this breed has been the most challenging.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Did you get your aussie from a working line?

I believe all puppies are a handful. And I have a beagle who likes to get into everything, though she has learned the word no, she is very sneaky so i have to keep an eye on her.

I am not that worried about the activity thing. I am sure I will be able to provide her with enough activity.

Socializing and training is something that I will definitely do with an puppy that I get. From all the research I have done and reading on Aussie websites, I have read that they are not too dificult to train.

Tags
australian shepherd, crate training, pet store