Awful News - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Awful News

Well, I have some sad news to report. Yesterday night my smallest Chihuahua, Ethel, was attacked by my grandma's Springer Spaniel. It was absolutely awful.

I was at school until about 8 pm and I'd left Ethel over at grandma's house because I didn't have time to drop her off at home first. The two dogs never had any problems together before and Ethel had been spending her days over there for the past 2 weeks with nothing unusual.

Apparently, minutes before I'd gotten back to pick up Ethel, Molly had attacked her over food. I blame myself for that because I've told my grandma repeatedly not to allow Ethel to eat with her dogs because she feeds them Alpo out of the can and I don't want Ethel eating that. I knew she didn't always listen. She didn't see what the big deal was ...

Anyway, Ethel had a prolapsed eye and a number of bite marks. It was horrible seeing her eye like that ... I'll never get that image out of my mind.

We don't have a vet around here equipped/willing to handle that sort of emergency in the middle of the night so I had to take her all the way to the emergency vet clinic in Columbia. $600 later they are still uncertain whether or not she will be able to keep the eye. They put it back in and sewed up the eyelids but the muscle was partially torn so it will take two weeks of healing to see if she can keep it ... if not it is off for a second surgery to remove it and to insert a prosthetic eye.

She got to come home at 7 am this morning and was more than glad to see us. We were all dead tired because we had sat with her until she could have her surgery at 3 am the previous night ... Ethel has been spending most of her time in bed enjoying the attention ... and she sleeps a lot as well. Her left side of the face is pretty swollen but she is in good spirits.

Please be thinking of her over the next few weeks ... we are all hoping that she will be able to keep her eye ... we'll still love her just the same if she can't, of course, but she had such an adorable face it is just a shame that it might be permanently marred. It is totally unfair that this happened to such a sweet, kind-hearted little baby ... she's the best pet I've ever owned and it's breaking my heart to see her go through this ...

Also, any suggestions about Molly? Obviously, I'm never bringing Ethel over there again but my grandma does have her own Chihuahua who is 'at risk.' Molly is a sweet-natured dog towards humans but, personally, I would never trust her around another animal for obvious reasons ... Adopting out Moe the Chihuahua to another home is absolutely out of the question because my grandma loves him so much (I don't know what would happen to my grandmother if something happpened to that little dog). I'm kind of at a loss as to what would be appropriate .. rehome her, I guess? It would have to be to someone with the understanding that she is to be an only dog but the then you have to wonder about liability issues towards my grandma, etc. if they don't listen ... I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ethel will be in my thoughts and prayers, Erin. Be sure to let us know how she does. If it makes you feel any better, proptosed eyes usually do well (as far as keeping the eye) provided they have good blood supply.

As for Molly, you may want to refer your grandmother to a behaviorist to try and diagnose the root of the problem if rehoming is out of the question.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Give Ethel a big hug from me, I hope she gets better..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Wow! I'm so sorry this happened to your baby!! I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry...I'll be thinking of her.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Erin! I'm so sorry this has happened, how awful! Ethel will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted on how she is, and you try to get some sleep!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I am so sorry to hear about Ethel. I will keep her in my thoughts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 PM

I am sorry to hear about Ethel, she will be in our thoughts and prayers
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i am so sorry that this happened to your little ethel. you guys will be in my thoughts.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am so sorry about your baby! I will be praying for her.

As for Molly?! Well, I would just give your grandma all the options and let her decide. I agree with Steph, a behaviorist would be a great start.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh no poor Ethel. She will be iny my thoughts. I agree, an animal behaviourist would be the way to go at this stage.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh my poor Ethel, I'm sorry this happened to her, but glad to hear she is doing okay for the most part. Jade had some good advice!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ugh.. that's terrible!!! I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll certainly keep the poor thing in my thoughts... they are amazing healers... hopefully it'll all work out ok.

A behaviorist may be a good start, I'd have to agree. Once you find the source of the problem it is almost always fast and fairly simple to resolve it. Nevertheless, if finance, risk, or fear prevents such an option, then I'm sure you would be OK to rehome. Making it clear that this is a "One pet family animal" is all that is needed and you should be held harmless. Include the note on paper that they sign noting something like "I understand that this dog is known to not be safe around other animals and has in the past attacked another animal. It is my responsibility to take the precautions required to prevent such an event in the future." That should be more than enough to ensure you are held harmless.... Of course...I'm not a lawyer ... A quick call to a shelter concerning the dilemma may also provide you with some good advice. After all their goal is to ensure the dog doesn't have to come visit them...so they should be happy to assist with advise

- Deb

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for the advice. Ethel is pretty much back to normal in behavior by now and for that I am grateful ... now we are just looking forward to taking the stitches out so we can finally have a final answer on the eye problem ...

Where would I find an animal behaviorist? I don't think we have anything like that in Sumter ... last night my mom was telling me about how Molly can be aggressive even when food isn't involved ... apparently she's been that way to a number of animals without any apparent provocation ... like, even when visiting my mom's black lab in my mom's back yard. My mom said Molly caught sight of Lucy (the lab) and went straight for her throat without any warning ... this isn't normal behavior by far, obviously ... I sure wish I'd known about that before, btw.

I don't know what could be going on in her head ... I can't conceive of my grandparents every having been abusive to the dog in the past ... my grandma even makes excuses for Molly's behavior (this incident is already Ethel's fault). My grandfather would never have anything to do with the dog ... they've had her since she was a puppy.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfomatic
Where would I find an animal behaviorist?
Start with area veterinarians and see if they can refer to a board certified behaviorist.

I'm glad she's feeling better! Keep us updated on the eye situation. Fingers are crossed for her!

Stephanie

Tags
black lab, emergency vet, vet clinic