Bad News - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Arrow Bad News

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodians are being urged to eat more dogs as part of a crackdown on stray mutts wandering around the capital of the southeast Asian nation.

Although dogs, along with creepy-crawlies such as spiders, beetles and crickets, are found regularly on menus in deeply
impoverished rural areas, eating them is frowned upon in the relative sophistication of Phnom Penh.

City governor Kep Chuktema says it is now time to draw up a special pooch policy to control the growing problem of pavement-fouling strays, and for city-dwellers to throw off their traditional snootiness towards dining on man's best friend.

"Come on, dog meat is so delicious," he was quoted as saying in Thursday's Cambodia Daily newspaper. "The Vietnamese and
Koreans love to eat dog meat."

"(Cambodians) don't have wine, but poor people can enjoy their dog meat with palm juice wine," he said.

Hitherto, Phnom Penh dog lovers have had to keep their tastes under wraps by asking for 'special' or 'jogging cow' meat in restaurants.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bodia_dogs&e=1

http://chinchilla.meetup.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For those who understand the mystery, no explanation is necessary. For those that do not, none is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

poor dogs.
kind of like here -it's hunt more deer because the deer population is out of control.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I always feel kind of bad, but I mean it like someone said about the people who worship cows, they probably think we are heathens(heeethens?). It is there way of life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yeah, its different all over the world. Like in China. But I guess even though we feel really sad for those dogs that are getting ate, thats all we can do. Is just feel sad. Because to them its not a bad thing. And like Capnsweets said, we probably eat all kinds of thier pets...or maybe they worship a certain bug, that most people in the US just step on...We just have to sort of take it in stride. I do understand how you feel though, It is sad that a dog has to live a life, just to be eaten.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Yeah... I'd have to go with its just the different cultures. Sometimes, they clash.

We eat cow's and deer, some people eat Saint Bernards, others eat snakes and even others eat hippos... Who knows??

I have to say though, that the Indians were the smartest. They'll eat anything, but they always are appreciative of the animal that lost its life in order for them to survive.

Anywho...

-Mallory