Bare Patch Of Skin 8( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Bare Patch Of Skin 8(

Hello all.

Yesterday I found a small bare patch of skin on Odie's bum. It's about 1 inch x 1 cm. I did a websearch, and aparently it can be anything... Yesterday it was white and scaly, but today it's a bit red and scaly. I'm ruling out an allergy cause I think whatever it is he catched from my neighbor's cat. I live in a house, but my room has a different entrance from the house. I enter through the garage and at the end of it, there is the door to my room. I have my own bathroom, fridge and microwave, so I really don't need to enter the house. In the house 2 other girls live, and the cat is theirs. The cat is allowed to get in and out as he pleases, and they don't love him much. When I pointed out that he had some balding spots to the owner of the cat, she told me "yeah, I don't want him anymore cause he has mange". But they haven't done really anything about it. They don't take him to the vet, the don't give them away, they don't take him to the shelter. I feel sad for the cat cause the cat is so lovely! All he wants is to be petted and played with. But, of course, Odie walks in and out the garage, whenever I take him anywere and sometimes he stops to say hello to my neighbors. So since the cat is always around there, I think whatever it is, he catched from the cat. The cat has long balding spots around his head, neck, legs, and belly that look white and scaly.

I was thinking from what I read yesterday that it might be ringworm. I'll be taking Odie to the vet this Saturday, so I'll let you know what the vet tells me about it. Cross your finger for me that's nothing bad. 8(

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

When you said scaley, my first thought was ringworm too. Let us know what the vet says!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Padfoot, I hope Odie is ok? I too thought it may be ringworm, keep us informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly i think you should take him to the vet as soon as possible so whatever it is he has got can be sorted as if its ringworm it can be contagious to you so you need to get it sorted! My first opinion of the symptoms was that it could be mange as the flaking scaly white skin sounds very much like it and it does turn red if they have been scratching at it or its irritated and certain strains are contagious from creature to creature so could have come from the cat but if this is the case then the cats going to need sorting too as the mites will just continue being spread around! As for ringworm is there any tell tale signs of ringworm like the distinctive marks they leave on the skin?

I hope your doggy is ok

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope Odie is okay! :crossfingers: Let us know how it goes!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I hope odie is okay! It sounds like ringworm to me.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Firstly i think you should take him to the vet as soon as possible so whatever it is he has got can be sorted as if its ringworm it can be contagious to you so you need to get it sorted!
I thought of taking him today, but I'm studying, and during the week I'm with him in an apartment near my college. On weekends I travel to my house, which is at 2.5 hours from here. His regular vet is at about 5 minutes from my house. There is another vet near here (apartment) but I've never taken him there, and from what I've seen when I go there to buy heartworm pills and frontline 1. he doesn't seems too dedicated to his job cause he's rarely there, and 2. he charges more than my regular vet. So since this is not a complete emergency I figured that I should wait a couple of days and take him to the vet I trust (plus I'll be saving a bit by going there.

Yeah, I read a lot yesterday, about mange, allergies and ringworm. The cat has had it for a couple of month now and he hasn't lost those big patches of fur like the mangy dogs I've seen, so in part that's why I also ruled out mange, but who knows. 8( I hope is somthing that goes away easily, as he's my little baby.

Thanks everybody for your support. 8)

Dimaris

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:23 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I hope all goes well with your pup, whatever he has. Is there someone you can report the people with the cat to? Not getting medical attention for your pet is against the law in most places.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i really hope he's feeling better soon anyway

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

here's hoping for a clean bill of health for odie

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted

Tags
regular vet