BARF Diet - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM

Kim, good luck and please keep us posted. I am very interested to hear your feedback and the doggie's feedback as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kim, I buy mince for Biscuit and add the mince in to her diet, or use the bits of meat that we won't eat (the fattier bits). I have a mixture or hamburger mince, lamb mince, chicken mince, and kangaroo mince on hand. she is very partial to her kangaroo mince! That is easy to blend. I give her the mince and the vegies together (we don't have a food processor so I have to add a small amount of water and blend them) and she gets bones as a breakfast meal. I have more time at dinner time and a bone is easy to throw her way! Cause she is a lazier dog she gets one small bone of a morning (either a chicken leg or a beef bone) and then she gets 200gm mince and 200gms vegies blended together of a night....then once or twice a week she'll get a big bone to gnaw on! A large chicken carcass lasts her three days. It's very easy to feed her when you have no time! If she has an extremely active day I'll give her some extra food, if she has done nothing all day, she may only get 300gms food....she easily puts on weight so we just balance her out. Puppies are a completely different kettle of fish on the BARF diet. Dr. Ian billinghurst has a completely different book just on puppies (can't remember the name of it) and it is different. I know they are supposed to get more than if they were an adult dog but the exact amount I'm not sure of. I've never owned a puppy so I don't know. The puppy that I had here, granted he was only 12 weeks, was getting commercial dry food, plus bones, plus a bit of what Biscuit got (but he got the calcium even in the raw stuff). I was instructed to do this by his owner (well the woman that bred him, I sold him for her yesterday ) She wanted to raise them on the BARF diet but she had nine puppies and found it too difficult and that simplified it for her. She would've done that until they reached adult hood. I'd do some more research on the puppy one, I know they need extra vitamins!

One of the best tips when I started biscuit was to just look at her....if she was losing too much weight she needed more food, if she was gaining she needed less. It's pretty simple when you think about it!! you know what your dogs look like at a healthy weight.
Let me know what you are going to do with your puppy! i'll see if I can get the puppy BARF diet book off my co-worker if you need it and I'll tell you what is says!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

I would really like to start Jessie on it, she is now approx. 5 months, we gave a her a birthday of June, 1st sadly she doesn't hardly eat anymore puppy food (I know shame on me), but once she got a taste of what the other dog's were eating she stopped eating her food, so I had to mix it, then she began to dig out the "adult" food, leaving behind the puppy food, so I finally gave up!! I know it's wrong, but she does get 1/2 a multivitamin, plus calcium pills, so the "adult" food isn't too bad for her, as she does get her much needed vitamins, and I just increase the amount of food she get's seeing she is a puppy.
Is the puppy book called "Grow your puppy with Bones"? if you can get any added info on puppies and BARF please let me know, I wouldn't mind buying the book, but I don't forsee having another puppy anytime soon ( yeah we will see right? )
Again Carmen, thank you so much for all your help and advice, you've been terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrific!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:43 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kim yes that is the book!!!! I'll see what I can find out for you!! I'll ask my co-worker tomorrow for anything that needs to be added in there that is majorly important and I'll get back to you!!
Oh and will you stop telling me how great I am!!!! I'm happy to help out!!! when I first looked into it there was no-one on here to help me (which surprised me a bit to be honest) and so I had to research myself (god forbid ) So stop praising me...it's going to my head j/k

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
So stop praising me...it's going to my head j/k
well you have been a great help, and I know first hand how frustrating and confusing the information on the net can be, I'm just glad you are here to help and guide us
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It's not a problem!! when I first read up on the BARF diet on the net I decided it was too hard and wasn't doing it. It was only when I found someone that was feeding it that I changed my mind!! They really need to simplify it on the net, cause it turns too many people off this great diet!!! Now speaking of food...I need to go cook dinner....it's 8.45pm and i'm starving (not to mention biscuit!)

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Okay so now I now your 10 hours ahead of me was never really sure, haha....
don't ya feel like we are the only 2 on PT right now
Yeah I had my doubts because of the confusing info I found online, but with your help and other informative sites, I'm willing to give it a go
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Yes I do feel like we are the only two here....the rest of them usually start waking up in an hour or so and signing on (so sad that I know that!!)

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Alright girl I have to leave you on your own!!! I need to go eat!!! I've only had one small dinner so far...need to go cook my proper one! One night we'll have to meet up in the chat room!!!

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, hope you had a healthy dinner I just got back on after cleaning up a bit around the house and doing dishes, fun fun
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 AM

kudos to you Kim for doing so much research and gaining all that knowledge.

I don't have the stomach for a complete "barf diet", but I do think its important to have some raw in every dog's diet. So, mine get some raw, but mostly just dry dog food. However, their food is all natural.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Chrisanne, I'm not sure how much my stomach can handle either I would go the route you are doing with your dog's if I could find an all natural dry food here and then feed some raw. I know the food they are on now is working for them, I just want them to be healtier overall is all
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
Sounds good, hope you had a healthy dinner I just got back on after cleaning up a bit around the house and doing dishes, fun fun
We had mongolian beef....it was healthy! We even had tofu in there for extra healthiness!!

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

yummy, except the tofu part
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:41 AM

I too am really trying to figure out the barf diet. I'm soooo scared of screwing up and I'm equally scared of the dry kibble these days. We've had so many problems this year with health that I'm close to a panic over the issue with Polo being older and having stiff joints and bad teeth (previous owners said they fed him wet canned food all his life ugh no wonder his teeth are shot) and the new puppy coming I don't want to screw anything up!

One thing I believe is that no two breeds follow the same dietary rules...which is something that has always turned me off about dry kibble being more of a "one bag feeds all breeds" mentality...

I found this site/page which I read with great interest but the author has not yet completed a rottweiler specific diet book yet...
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/Rottweiler.html

I'm still reading though...still very confused...and just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate all of your input. I also totally agree we need a BARF DIET FOR IDIOTS site on the net because everything I've found so far is very intimidating... I barely cook for my human family as it is lol

Tags
barf diet, canned food, dog food, dog owners, dry dog food, dry food, flax seed oil, golden retriever, puppy food, table scraps