BARF Diet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Question BARF Diet

I know this has been discussed in brief terms before here in PT, but I'm still very interested in learning more. After doing some online research here and there over the past few months, I have found myself more intrigued. I know there are several books out there and I'm sure by purchasing one I will find the answers I'm still searching for. I understand that there is the possibility of no 2 dog's having the same diet (sort of speaking), and with us having so many dog's, I am a little iffy on the price factor. I know that cost should never be compared to the over all health of your pet, but being military we aren't the richest people in the world
I have visited several different sites including http:/www.barfworld.com and I see on that siite they sell pre-made packages, however at that cost it frightens me a little. I am like whoa just to feed Dakota our 120+ pound rottie would be quite costly. I understand I can go to a meat market (as we have one right next door) and this might be a little cheaper in cost.
I am also getting confused by the "added" supplements that must be put in their diet as well if we choose to switch to the BARF diet.
I know there are a few member's of PT that have their dog's on the BARF diet, so I'm hoping for a little added info on cost, supplements, diet plan, etc.....
Should I purchase one of the books out there and take it from there?
The "premium" manufactored dog food they are on right now is working for them, and since we have made the switch to this food we have seen a positive difference in their coat, behavior, and activity level. We also give them a multi vitamin and 2 of our dog's are on a fatty acid supplement (oil) to help with their dry skin and coat problem (which has decreased quite a bit).
For you BARFers out there what is your suggestion? Should I continue my research and buy one or more of the books available about the BARF diet, or is there a more simple solution like "learning as we go" sort of speaking?
All suggestions/opinions are much needed as I (we) are still in the "deciding" stage of making the switch.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kim go and buy yourself 'give your dog a bone' by Dr Ian Billinghurst. He is brilliant!!! when I was looking into it I was on the net and got sooooo confused, scared about the price, risk of food poisoning to ourselves, etc. Biscuit gets some omega 3, omega 6 oils in her diet, seaweed meal (brewer's yeast) and a multi-vitamin supplement called missing-link (or she gets megaderm sometimes...they are pretty well the same). If she's having a 'junk' night (when I'm lazy and give her our cooked left overs...doesn't happen often) I add a bit of calcium powder in there. To be honest with you I don't notice the price difference with her...I actually think it's cheaper for me. There is lots of percentages in the book etc. but keep it simple for yourself. Biscuit gets some form of bone every morning (usually a chicken leg or something small like that) and then she mostly gets whatever we have, but raw. If we aren't having something suitable for her then we have meats on hand for her....I get her meat from the grocery store, it's all human stuff. She usually gets one or two days a week where she'll get a really big bone for the whole day (their diet is meant to be 60% bones) and the rest is mixed up. So I make sure once a week she gets tuna, twice a week she gets eggs, and once to twice a week there is some cottage cheese in there. The rest is just your meat and a variety of raw vegetables. About once every two weeks I'll give her a grain (usually rice) cause they really don't need much. I got my info from my co-worker. she has fed her dogs on the BARF diet for a couple of years now and she simplified it all for me but that book I mentioned is great! Some people might say that Biscuit might be missing out on something but I have never had a dog with a shinier coat, brighter eyes, and she gives me chihuahua sized droppings that go white within the day (a good sign that she is getting enough calcium with the colour changing) which are all great signs of a healthy dog!
I make her meal fresh daily for her, and I just blend it in a blender....we don't own a food processor and they are expensive to buy. Basically my co-worker said to me....'they are designed to have a well-balanced diet like us but they don't need to have it all in one day' and that was a good thing for me to remember!!! We are healthy but don't make sure every single good thing goes into our body in the one day...if you take away the 'BARF diet' term, go back to thinking table scraps and just give them the table scraps early, and raw, and add their vitamins in there it's much easier. Just remember bones the most!
Things would be a little different for you for the amount of dogs you feed...you can't just give them extras from your dinner, cause it will need to be another whole meal but it's really quite simple. I learnt as I went along....in my opinion it was always going to be much better than commercial foods for Biscuit. She had weepy eyes and mass dandruff....they are her signs for me if she is lacking something....so far we've only got them back when I've gone a bit lazy and started giving her commercial dog treats.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Carmen "give your dog a bone" is one of the books I was thinking about buying....I guess I'm going to order it through amazon.com or another route, but with the holiday season coming up, I'll probably be lucky if I see it by Jan/Feb... j/k ....yes we do have a large amount of dog's to feed, but I am always looking for ways to better their health and their diet You mentioned about the dandruff and weapy eyes that Biscuit had before, ya know that is strange because over the past few days I have noticed that Gidget has what appears to be weapy eyes, but I was just thinking she was coming down with a bit of a chill due to the drastic change in weather. I know this change won't happen over night, that is why I continue to do research and look for advice. Carmen you are right about one thing, the information is so overwhelming and confusing Thanks for your help, you have helped a great deal

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I just wanted to add this link http://www.trojanrottweilers.com/BARFpage.htm as it provided some helpful information for me on the BARF diet, however I noticed they mentioned cooked eggs, yet some sites say raw eggs, which is better?
I'm still going to get the book that Carmen mentioned, but I'm trying to find a "basic" source to start off with....Another question what to do when they are in boarding? Being over here I'm not sure how Dr.Friz's staff would react to giving the BARF diet. I know we will be going on vacation in March/April time frame for at least 10-14 days, so if we went this route I would want to find an easy way of distributing the diet to them properly while they are in boarding..... Thanks again, sorry for all the ?'s but my curiosity is getting the better of me
P.S. I found this site as well http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm that shows some sample plans....

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 11-07-2004 at 12:46 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kim you can mix some stuff up and freeze it for them and then give that to Dr. Fritz to feed them. It's best to give it to them fresh but it won't hurt if they get it frozen for a couple of weeks.
With the egg thing, I cottle mine sometimes, give them raw sometimes, and occassionally cook them (not too often)...you have to think about them in the wild, it is the whole idea of the BARF diet (hence them not needing all nutrients in one day cause it wouldn't happen out there) then they'd be going into chicken pens and getting them off the ground. The sun would have been on them all day and they'd be slightly cooked. So to cottle them put them in a cup of boiling water raw, and let it sit for a minute before adding to mixture that needs to be blended. Include the shell, it is high in calcium.
If you don't want to freeze raw things you can cook them up as that will be ok too....just make sure you add the calcium powder to it. It's one teaspoon per 500gm of meat. To me that is still better than feeding all the preservatives that are in commercial dog food.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks again for the very helpful information Carmen
I have printed out a basic diet plan on what some top quality rottie breeders feed their dog's using the BARF diet, so I am hoping I can start off with that (cutting the plan in 1/2 for the other dog's that are only 50-60 pounds), but I am still going to order the book for more information. There is slim to none chance they will have it at the book store on the base, but I'm going to look there first before ordering it online.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

That's ok Kim! I have kept my BARF diet very simple! I'm sure you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like but when it comes down to it, she still gets everything she needs and that is all that matters! I'm sure you'll do great feeding your dogs the BARF diet! I still don't own that book....I got into the BARF diet from my co-worker and she lent me the book for a week. Now any questions I have I direct them to her....she answers them all for me but I don't have many questions these days. I got to test Biscuit's urine and do a faecal flotation on her faeces at school last week....all her levels are right and her faeces were free of parasites!
I forgot to mention before....I don't give Biscuit much offal....she might get a little bit once a month or something. I shy away from offal due to the hydatid tapeworm that can be found in raw offal. Even though she is wormed regularly that worm scares me and they don't require much anyway so I kinda steer clear of it! I couldn't stand to cook it as the smell would make me vomit!

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I'm glad to hear you've got a wee bit on confidence in me .... Yeah I saw the offal and what it truly stands for and about gagged
The one that threw me off the most was the raw tripe, we see that everyday here there are trucks parked on the corners with a little water system and hanging from racks are nothing but raw tripe, YUCK!!!!
Carmen do you use added vitamins? I know about the omega "fatty" acids and the calcium powder, and if you don't feed them fish then supplement with cod liver oil and such like that, I'm just asking because right now they get a multi vitamin every night, would it be okay to continue that as well?
Going to be going shopping on Monday or Tuesday in hopes of trying to get this started. I hope I don't boff it up to much

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kim you'll be fine!!! I use a the omega 3, omega 6 oils, and brwere's yeast and a multi-vitamin supplement. I have the calcium powder on hand to add it to her meals if they are cooked but that's the only time. I know she get splenty of calcium. Biscuit gets her fish meal every week so I don't supplement that and she gets her cottage cheese or yoghurt as well.
I would give them their multi-vitamin and add the brewer's yeast (also called seaweed meal) and the omega oils for their coat! That's all I do. You can really go overboard with multi-vitamins, as can humans. You should notice improvements in them...shinier coats, brighter eyes, if any of them are overweight they will probably slim down a bit too. If you don't start to see these signs (give it a month...you should notice it sooner but we'll say a month just incase) then you know they are still missing something and need to source out what it is (Give your dog a bone will help you with that!)

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Carmen thanks again, your grrrrrrrrrreat!!!
I have Dakota & Beua on what is called "vita caps" in the oil form, it has the omega 3, omega 6 and flax seed oil in it. I bought that when those 2 were having such severe dry skin problems and loosing hair, it has helped a great deal.
I have the "generel" guidelines to go by and with your help as well, I feel confident enough to start this before getting the book However I will still get the book

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Yes the book will still be a good idea, just as a reference for you down the track (incase they need an extra vitamin or something) but you'll be great!!! You've done a lot of research and I'll do my best to help out wherever possible!!! I'm so glad you have decided to try the BARF diet Kim!!!! I know you have a lot of dogs but it doesn't take that long to prepare really (there used to be a certain person on this forum that claimed to have lots of golden retriever's and claimed that it took her 4 hours every day to prepare their meals....that is BS. It takes me about three minutes to prepare Biscuit's) and the benefits are totally worth it!

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:32 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh Kim I forgot to add....if your dogs are really active and you want to make their meal time more stimulating....get them a few kongs each (you might want to save up for this...kongs aren't cheap!) and plug the small end with peanut butter, and then fill their kong up with their blended meal and freeze. Then the next day hide them around the yard (if you have a dog that wants to take them all then tie them, they'll soon get tired of trying to protect every single one an dmeanwhile getting no food) and they can spend the day finding their kongs and licking the contents out of them. Then your dogs have been fed, have had something to do with their day and don't get into as much mischief!!!! In the wild dogs spend 85% of their day hunting for food! We give it to them in a bowl (and I still do cause Biscuit is an inside dog) and it takes them 2 minutes to devour. People wonder why their dogs get bored and have behavioural problems!! Just another alternative for you!

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

once again Carmen you've given me some great ideas We have several kong's and I know they aren't cheap, we try to buy several every few months or so. With the amount of dog's we have and the larger breeds we have, kong's seem to be the only toys they can't destroy we keep having to buy more because Miss Gidget likes to hord and hide them........
Darren and I talked briefly last night on the phone about this (he was at work), and we have decided to make several meals in advance, keeping them refrigerated. I know this will be easier with the "veggie mix" portion of their diet and it might not do well with the "RMB" portion of their diet. However if we as humans can keep meat(s) refrigerated for a short time frame and it still be safe for us to eat, than it should be okay with the dog's as well Yes we do have alot of dog's but I'm hoping to see great results with the change, and after figuring costs it really shouldn't be that big of a difference. We have a small food processor/salad shooter do higgy so we are going to use that for preparing thier food. Now the only question I am stuck on, several sites say to gind their food up, but how does that work with the RMB portion of their meal? Shouldn't we just give the meat that has the bones w/out grinding it up?
I'm sure we will be okay with this and from researching I have seen that Dakota for example would get about 3 pounds of food per day and Tabitha for example would only get about 1 1/4 pounds. With 60% being RMB and 40% being the veggie mixture. Does this sound about right?
Dakota is 115-120 pounds and Tabitha is only about 52 pounds. Now I know the puppy "Jessie" would get less right? or should I keep her on at least 1 pound of food per day and see how she does for starters?

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Kim, thanks for starting this thread. When the day comes and we get a dog, I definitely want to use the BARF diet. Carmen, you always provide such helpful tips and knowledge. I agree reading information on the net regarding the BARF diet can make one's mind spin. The book Carmen suggested sounds so simplified. That is what dog owners need!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Denise,
Yes I have been doing quite the research online and your right about it making your head spin
The day you get a doggie will soon come
I think Darren and I are going to do the transition this weekend, as the base here has been at a higher security level and they haven't had a real day off in over a week and if it remains this way for quite sometime I think he said he should get Thursday/Friday off, so we can go shopping then, to switch the dog's over.
I agree that the book Carmen recommended will be very helpful, however we are taking the first step on our own, with the help of research and Carmen of course but we will be getting the book

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
barf diet, canned food, dog food, dog owners, dry dog food, dry food, flax seed oil, golden retriever, puppy food, table scraps