BARF diets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

BARF diets

I am thinking of maybe,possibly having the dogs eat a raw,homemade diet because it same way more healthy and safer that all the contaminated dogs food out there these days.

Does anyone here currently feed a BARF diet that can share some tips,tricks and information?

Any help is great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Junior Jouster

I buy my food prepackaged raw, it has all the vitamins and minerals in it that they need so you don't need to add any like you would with a homemade diet. Just remember that dogs aren't strictly carnivores, they need fruit and veggies too!

In the US its called Natures Variety... here is the website:
http://www.naturesvariety.com/

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feed a raw prey model diet. I will give you info on this type of diet. There are many ways to do raw and different opinions on it, so you are free to research more and pick your own.

Meals consist of whole prey animals or should be meat and bones. The latter is mostly muscle meat, organ meat and bones. This is a common recommendation although exact % may vary.
Muscle Meat 80-85%
Organ Meat 5-10%
Bones 10-15%

You don't have to feed bones every single meal, nor do you have to feed organs every single day. Varying the menu and feeding organs will ensure that your dog is getting proper and balanced nutrition. You do not need to give vitamins or supplements if you are feeding correctly. Except maybe fish oil, if you are not feeding fish regularly and using a lot of store bought meat as they are deficient in omegas. If you are feeding free range animals those are better. I do no some people who give fish oil supplement as they feed store bought meat and don't feed fish. It helps with coat and skin health. You'd also want to feed one that is complete and balanced in Omega3&6 as both are important.

Feed whole animals as often as possible. This allows for even more natural diet and nutrition. If you feed mostly store bought meat then it is great to still add whole animals when possible.
Wild dogs get a lot of their calcium from blood vs bone (although some from bone) but meat from the store is drained of the blood. I feed some store bought meat, then some of my own meat and whole animals and make sure they are getting a good range of meats. Whole animals also offer them a number of pieces that are not often available in store meats because they sell cuts of an animal.

What to feed.........this is not your limitations so if you have access to some other meat more then likely it will be ok for your dog.....
Chicken, Duck, Turkey, Goose, Cow, Buffalo, Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Goat, Pig, Pheasant, Rabbit, Fish. Eggs are another thing. Green tripe is good too.

This site has not only green tripe but a lot of other variety of whole pieces, ground pieces and blends.
http://www.greentripe.com/

It is often recommended to start with chicken as its considered an easy to digest meat. This would be for the first few weeks. Then add in another meat source, then another.

The amount for meals is also done by %. Typical guidelines is 5-10% of body weight for puppy. 1-2% to drop weight. 2-3% to maintain weight (many use 2.5% as a starting point). 3+% to gain weight.
Example 50lbs 2%16oz 2.5% 20oz

If you had a 50lbs dog that you want to gain weight 3% 24oz 3.5% 28oz
Some also would do 2-2.5% of ideal body weight to gain or lose instead of going by current weight, but that usually comes out to be the same depending on the %. A 50lbs dog you want to gain at 3% was 24oz, if you wanted to feed by what the dog should weigh (60lbs) 2.5% of 60lbs is also 24oz.

I wouldn't say most dogs need veggies, they can't digest them. It is up to you if you want to feed them. Certain ones can be toxic so you will need to research. You need to make sure to balance, as certain ones contain the same nutrition found in the prey animals. While this isn't a problem with some with others you can overdo it and make your dog ill. Certain ones are also high in oxalic acid. There are some that like a fruits/veggie to meat ratio of 70/30 or 60/40, its really up to you.

Just remember that if you chose to go that route you will need to cook or puree them otherwise your dog will not be able to obtain most any nutrients because they don't have the necessary enzymes to break down the cellulose layer and digest them. Humans actually don't have much of this ability either but the way our teeth are/how we are supposed to eat allows for us to crunch up and chew through that and digestion starts in the mouth. Dogs usually do very little chewing action and more bite and swallow. They swallow large hunks with ease.

Premade is typically more costly then home prepared. You also have to research for what you want. Some people don't want fruit/veggies but most premade on the market contains those. Some do want fruit/veggies but only in a certain ratio. So you have to find out if they are 70/30, 60/40 others don't state (but you can contact and find out I'm sure) and others are at least half veggies or veggies/grains. Some are not picky about whats in the food or don't research but end up feeding a lot more (I don't remember the brand but people had to feed 5% of body weight because that particular brand had a lot of filler). There was one person spending $300 a month to feed 2 dogs NV premade. I was kind of shocked. I can feed 6 medium-large dogs on that a month preparing my own. Premade is usually ground, which means your dog doesn’t have to chew. It doesn’t promote dental health as much because they don’t have to chew much and bones are ground. I know some dogs with nice teeth though on ground meat, but others the owners do still give recreational bones, dental chews or brush the teeth.

Premade is usually more convenient. You don't have to go and shop for it, well you do have to buy it at a store or order it but I mean you don't have to buy a bunch of meat, weigh it out, divy it up, pack it, ect. It’s all done for you. If your dog eats 16oz then that is usually 2 patties for most premade so its easy. Its especially easy for those that don't like messing with raw meat or the idea of meat (I know some vegetarians feed raw to their dogs, but hate touching meat). It also saves time, especially if you have more than one dog to feed. The dehydrated food can also be convenient to take on trips, as it isn't heavy or bulky like kibble and doesn't need refrigeration like fresh raw. I've used this before for some of mine although they contain veggies and stuff that I don’t normally feed. Barfworld has dehydrated patties and Honest Kitchen as these great little boxes of dehydrated.

Homemade means you have to select what meats you will buy for your dog. It also means that you have to mess with the meat. Usually cut, measure correct portions and pack it for storage. So it can become time consuming, especially if you have multiple dogs.

Homemade is usually cheaper overall. It also allows to shop for deals, use raw coops, find hunters with cheap/free excess meat, stock up sales, ect. You get to know exactly what is going into the meals. It makes it easy for dogs with food allergies, simple elimination diet. Simply don’t feed that particular meat source. I mentioned earlier that most dogs don't need veggies, they thrive without them. However some do better with certain veggies or there are certain things they need (found in meat) but certain other things in the meat that they can’t have a lot of so it allows for their owner to still provide for their needs. This is also true using grains for examples. Some dogs might not actually need them but they are high energy, hard working dogs. So they might get potato or rice (carbs) to help them maintain weight and sustain energy instead of a ton of meat. It also allows that if you want to feed fruits/veggies you pick which ones you want and how much. Some dogs need low amounts of a certain thing so you pick appropriate foods. Others might do better with a bit more of something, like a little extra fat added to the diet. You can tweak the diet however you like or to your dogs needs. Homemade usually consist of raw meaty bones and chunks of meat, which requires some chewing although not a lot for certain items it’s a bit beneficial.

I usually try to make meals up for at least a week at a time, usually 2 weeks if I can manage. It is so much easier that way. I have a shopping day and divide up and pack the portions and freeze them at that time.

You should never defrost raw meaty bones in the microwave, cooking the bones even a little could cause them to become brittle. It is best to thaw in the fridge.

You shouldn’t feed rancid meat due to bacteria over load or growth of certain bacteria that can make your dog ill.
Pacific Salmon isn’t considered safe fed raw

Here are a few websites.
http://rawfeddogs.net/
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/
http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks for the information.

I do know their is a place here, somewhere that sell he premade BARF, but I never checked the prices.

As for the Raw Prey Model diet how long can it be frozen in the freezer?

I have an uncle who is a hunter so I could ask him to get us some deer or game one day.

By the way where would you get a Water Buffalo?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm not sure about freezing. I'd imagine if it started to get freezer burned it'd be time to feed it. I've fed meat that was frozen for months or even a couple of years.
I'd imagine you'd find water buffalo in the water.....lol Seriously I'm not sure about water buffalo, Bison is what we have here. Water Buffalo would probably be hard to come by anywhere in North America.

Check Them Out