Bark Yap Bark Yap!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Angry Bark Yap Bark Yap!!!

Grrrrrrr. The dogs bark at EVERYTHING! Penny does it frequently, but Chaquita is the worst.

They bark at:
People outside
Animals outside
Moving cars
Arbitrary noises
If I set my cup down and it sounds like a "knock"
Lights outside
Paint drying

Ok, that last one was a joke. But seriously...it's bad! I've tried to teach the 'quiet' command by sitting calmly with Chaquita and telling her 'quiet' and praising her when she is, but then she's off again! I try yelling 'no!', but they keep going. I've tried clapping hard and slamming my hand on the table, but...nope. They may stop for a little bit (3-5 sec) or bark more quietly, but they don't shutup!

The only thing that partially works with Chaquita is staring her down in the eye while saying 'no' very calmly. But as soon as I look away, she starts growling and that leads to barking.

Even worse - when one starts, the other one starts!!

It's like they are in another world when they are barking! They hear nothing else. It's like when Jim watches TV. What can I do?

(I swear my next dog is gonna be a cat! )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hmmm...that sounds pretty bad. I don't know, as Caeser doesn't do that at all, but I would try this:

Plan A: Ignore their barking. They are most likely asking for attention. Reward their silence with treats and praise.

Plan B: Keep leashes on them. When they bark, give a quick yank and a firm "NO!".

Plan C: If all else fails, get a gentle leader. With this, when they bark, if you give a quick yank on the leash attached, it closes their mouth. When their mouth is closed, reward and treat with silence.

That's all I have. Hope it works. My fingers are crossed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the response!

plan a: ignoring it doesn't work. i tried that, but it isn't for attention. cause even if i go up to them and try to distract them with a toy, they don't stop.

plan b: this could cause major upset! leash = WALK TIME!!!!!!!! they will get super super excited and freaked out if i even pick up the leashes to move them. if i put on the leashes, they'll just stand by the door and whine and freak out.

plan c: i've actually been thinking about getting this for walking them cause they pull like mad. maybe once they get used to it for walks, i can leave it on in the house a little bit and use it then.

thank you again for the advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

btw- the only thing that really works for when they run out to the backyard on a barking frenzy is to call them back inside. sometimes they come right away and sometimes it takes about 30 sec to a min. but i think they know that since i got up and all that, that i'm serious.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 AM

My dog barks at nothing.
I let him out on the front to go toilet and he just sits there barking at nothing.
And then when a person actualy does walk by he is so scared he runs in the house with his tail between his legs.
Olle barks when he gets in the car and when anyone gets out of the car.
They are driving me mad.
What do people think of that device where it goes around their neck and squirts water at them when they bark?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My two have their moments! They will bark at any noise, I don't care what it is! The bad thing is ,once they start barking I can't hear the noise they're barking at so I don't know what it is! As long as they bark at things they're suppose to bark at, someone at the door, pulling in the driveway, etc. I don't worry much about it!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 AM

Time for the blasting power of a super soaker if ya ask me

A simple squirt from the heavens above..... never letting them see the squirt gun/spray bottle whatever it is you decide gets the good range...

When they bark...be sneaky about it... don't let them know the water came from you... God has soooo much more authority... it confuses them a bit
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Plan C: If all else fails, get a gentle leader. With this, when they bark, if you give a quick yank on the leash attached, it closes their mouth. When their mouth is closed, reward and treat with silence.
I'm not sure if this is the best solution. I'd be afraid of causing some sort of damage to the neck.

I think the super soaker idea is the best. Water seems to get them to stop and go "What the...?" every time.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
Time for the blasting power of a super soaker if ya ask me
That's what I was going to suggest.

Quote:
They bark at:.......paint drying

Rhonda

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

the wtaer spray is probably your best bet at this stage Jane. It's a learnt behaviour so it's going to take a lot to break it! As long as they don't see you with the spray bottle it should be fine. Once they have stopped from the spray bottle call them over and praise them for being quiet then!
The only other option is to really take them away from the distractions...but you need to do it before the distraction is there which is practically impossible!! Kinda hard to predict when a car is coming down the street.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 PM

I'd go with the water...we have a few dogs that we board at work who bark CONSTANTLY! They don't stop the whole time they are there! Giving them something else to do like a greenie to destroy doesn't even help...for the most part, we put the barkers in a different ward where we aren't constantly in there and just let them bark their foolish heads off... Although one of the vet techs was cleaning out cages in there over Christmas and one of the dogs drove her batty! It was halarious! She got so annoyed and frusterated she grabbed his water bowl and threw the water (not the bowl) at him! He was so stunned, he actually stopped barking for about 30 seconds (and that is the longest this dog has EVER shut up for!) Of course then he went right back to barking. I'd go with the super soaker (or spray bottle) option...eventually, they will figure out that every time they bark, they get sprayed. You just have to be consistant with it
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks guys. i would've responded sooner, but i didn't get emails about the thread.

i could try the water. i just wouldn't be able to sneak up on them much. they are usually right next to me and are very keen on hearing when i move at all. the other problem would be that when they run out into the yard i would have to unlock the door, open it and then walk up to them. they always hear me unlock it and then they stop cause they know i'm pissed.

this idea could work in the house, though. but i'd have to be very very quiet. what about the penny's in a can thing?? that would be a lot easier to do cause i could do it from afar without getting up close to them and alerting them.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
what about the penny's in a can thing??
Might work...might not... lol

One of my dogs would be startled by the "pennies in a can" and quiet down... but the other two.... sigh... it'd just feed into their already excited brains and cause them to bark more ... then again one of my dogs also LIKES the squirt bottle lol

Anything safe is worth a shot... if something is working...roll with it
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

what about me dressing in a gorilla suit and scaring them quiet??

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:01 AM

ROFL -- that wont work!

You should see my dogs when hubby or I put on the leathers and helmets to go for a bike ride..... they FREAK!!!!!!

Now what does quiet them down is when the alien takes his head (helmet) off and sets it on the couch...they are petrified of the head on the couch and all stare at it daring each other to get closer to it lol

Tags
vet tech, water bowl