Barking Problem - Won't Bark - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Barking Problem - Won't Bark

I don't get it! I thought all dogs barked at some point. I've been fostering Earnhardt (8 year old Dalmatian) for ... ummm 3 weeks now, and he won't bark. His previous owners of 6 years told me that he didn't bark also, but I thought it was just because they never noticed it, cuz he was so neglected and stuck in an outdoor prison in their back yard during that time. He cries and whines, but doesn't bark. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm wondering if there's an internal problem, or whether it's something else. So confused. Anyone have any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Playful Pup

There's a dalmatian across the street that i know, and when i've been around him he's quiet and doesn't bark. But I noticed when his "mom" came home one day he got excited and barked a few times. He's a year older than Earnhardt so maybe Earnhardt is the same way.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've had two dogs that "didn't bark" for their first year with us...and then when they finally did start to bark it was still only VERY OCCASIONALLY...

Max, a male rottweiler was one...and Jasmond a female sheltie was the other.

Both had "mystery histories" and both came from the pound and both were over the age of two when we got them....

They were both fine...just not barkers...

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh, that's interesting, Aurora and Deb. Thanks so much for your responses! Earnie is actually an old dog though (almost 8). That's a long time to go without barking. Aurora, do you know the older Dal's history? I'm just wondering if Earnie's problem might be related to him being terrorized by the Cocker Spaniel for the past 6 years and not being able to learn his "territorial rights"? That has crossed my mind, but I'm now wondering if it's something internal ... I dunno ... just worries me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Playful Pup

i don't know his history, but i do know his people. They're very nice and they take good care of him and his greyhound "sister". He was a rescue and they got him when he was 2 years old. the greyhound is also a rescue. the dalmation is very friendly and enjoys playing
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

your lucky!!!! i cant even get my poopers to shut up!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Newborn Pup

i read that some dalmations are born with their vocal cords messed up so that they can whine and cry, but not bark. '
maybe thats what it is

Tags
cocker spaniel