Beggers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Is your dog a begger?
Yes 27 69.23%
No 3 7.69%
Some of mine do, some don't 8 20.51%
Only Jodi's dogs are crazy 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Beggers?

Is your dog a begger?

Do they beg for food and/or treats? Do they come running into the kitchen when you open a cupboard or the fridge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo does, despite the fact that he doesn't get treats from the kitchen or bits of our food - his are in the pantry. Crazy dog.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Odie can even smell gummy worms when I'm silently taking them out of the plastic bag. He can smell the food being cooked in the kitchen and escape from the room. He can see my sister taking cookies out of her "hiding" through a mirror and land right beside her. He's a food radar. Charlotte and Valentina.. well, they don't get inside... but they are "little beasts" when I bring treats for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
He's a food radar.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:41 AM

Taz doesn't pay attention to anything having to do with food...until you open the back closet! That is where his treats are kept. He could be dead to the world and still hear someone sneak into that closet.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Ein always comes running when the fridge or a container opens. He doesn't always beg, though. Often times, he's just curious to know what I'm doing. He's a total mommas boy.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 PM

My cat begs at the table.
As soon as you go in the kitchen even to make a drink she is there.
When we are eating she sits on the table meowing cutely and when we have finished she jumps on the table to see if there is anything left.
Sometimes she sits on the chair waiting expectantly for us to put a plate out for her
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:04 PM

Kiska is 12 and so we can sometimes tell how old she is. It takes her a while to hear someone knocking at the door sometimes, or to know where you are when you call her. But if I open the fridge...she's there!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

UGH! Kirby is the WORST beggar I have ever seen!

It makes me soooo mad when I open the refrigerator and he's RIGHT THERE begging for food! He wouldn't have this bad habit if my dear husband wouldn't feed Kirby cheese while standing at the refrigerator.

Any food you bring in, he's trying to get at it. Whether it's Hesburger or groceries, he's begging for it. When you eat, he's giving you the Death Stare in hopes that SOMEONE will break down and give him food.

Lately, though, he only begs at Sami. Kirby and I had a falling out one day when he tried to grab my sandwich from my hands. I growled and snapped at him and then bit his ear. Since then, he leaves me alone. GRRRRR! Now, if he looks my way while I'm eating, all I do is growl and he goes in the opposite direction. Makes me happy that I can enjoy my food without getting the Death Stare.

For those that think I was nuts for biting his ear, it got the message through in ways words never could. I had to be the alpha Mama Samoyed and bite his bad butt!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sophie begs, she's food-crazy, lol. Rocky isn't that bad.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette will look at us when we eat but will walk away when we say "no". She's such a good dog! Now......Riley on the other hand is a complete maniac when there's food around. I have to put her in the crate when I eat otherwise she might jump up in my lap and grab the food off my plate. If anyone walks anywhere near the kitchen she will follow. She has a really bad habit of sticking her head in the 'fridge anytime it's opened.

Rhonda

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh man... I've taught my one Jack Russell wrong... I taught her to do this little growl/bark thing for food. It's so cute though. All of my dogs beg so much and if anyone is over they sure know how to get them to give them food.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittney
All of my dogs beg so much and if anyone is over they sure know how to get them to give them food.
Oh! that reminds me! Last semester I was working with a master's degree student on her research with sheep. While we were cleaning cages and separating hay from poop (which was really tedious) we talked mostly about animals. Well, I was telling her that I thought that Odie was a little chubby. She tells me "do you feed him off your plate?" and I say "He always gets my last bite, but he always gets more food out of my sister". She gave me a face like "that's why he's chubby..." and I tell her "but you should see his face, you can't resist his face" and she tells me, "well, that's what all dog owners say, and that's why there's so much obesity in pet dogs. You have to ignore it." A couple of days after, I took Odie with me to work. Before going to the farm, we stopped at the lab's office for a quick lunch, since she hadn't eaten yet. Odie, of course, strated staring at her with his starving puppy eyes when she started eating. She had a couple of bites of her hamburger, trying to keep a face as straight as possible, and then tells me "awww, I can't take it! I've never seen a dog staring like that!" I was like "now you know what I mean..." LOL

A little picture of Odie with his friend sheep:

(Odie is barely visible here cause the idea was to take a pic of the sheep eating, not of him sticking his tongue out to Odie.. lol)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 AM

Gazoo begs silently, and from a distance.. but you still know he's there and asking for your food.

maverick is hungry all the time, and always trys to get your food.

Rebel could care less.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Last night Riley begged my mom out of a big piece of roast beef. At bedtime I always give her a biscuit, but since I ran out the night before I gave her a piece of left over ham that was in the fridge. I had no idea that my mother had given her the roast beef. Around 12:30 am Riley puked, no, SPEWED vomit all over the inside of her crate, out the door of it and all over her dog bed (which is pretty much ruined now). It looked like a doggy version of Mt. St. Helen had erupted in there! I didn't think a dog could vomit that much! I guess she had a bit too much human food and it upset her stomach. I had to get out of bed and clean up that nasty, smelly mess. No more table scraps from me!

Rhonda

Tags
dog bed, dog owners, human food, jack russell, table scraps