Bernese Mountain Dogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Bernese Mountain Dogs?

I think these dogs are adorable, and that alone is enough to make me want one (when we buy our own house in a million years. )

I've never actually met one, though, so I'm clueless as to what type of personality they tend to have, how intelligent they are, etc.

Anyone have one (or know of one) and can tell me a little about the breed?

I know breed doesn't always mean anything, because half the time Ein doesn't act like a corgi. I'm just looking for some general info since I know nothing about them.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004

Last edited by corgimom; 05-11-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Bernese are wonderful, loving dogs. They make great family pets. However, they are very large.

They also need lots of exercise. They are prone to seperation anxiety from what i've read. Because of their size they can be VERY destructive.

All in all, i think they are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

They have ALOT of fur!!! I don't have much experience with them, but we had one come in for a groom and MY GOD! There was fur EVERYWHERE!! Definatly needs daily brushing

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Also, does anyone know how they compare to Greater Swiss Mountain dogs, personality wise? I know they are larger than the Bernese, and I've heard that they shed less. But that's about the limit of my knowlegde.

We do want a larger dog sometime. My boyfriend's mom has always had small dogs (I know they had a mini pin and a mini schnauzer when he was a kid, and she has a tiny poodle and chihuaha now) and we have the corgi, so he's only ever had small dogs According to him, when we get a house he wants a dog that he doesn't have to pick up (or sit on the floor) to pet, lol.

Momma to three pups:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Friends of mine have a beautiful Bernese Mountain dog. He's so gentle. While at dinner, there were three young children (between 3 and 7 years old) who chased him around the house, and while he barked a little bit while outside away from all the fun, he was so quiet and had a blast with the kids.

He was quite docile, sat still to be pet and loved, and was still very active with the kids -- I think they went to bed well worn out, that night!

He did shed, though!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I don't know how they compare really. The Greater Swiss has shorter hair so would need less grooming and would likely shed less.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Well, my husband has a Bernese Mountain Dog growing up that died a few years ago.

They are large dogs, but considering their size, they don't need as much exercise as other dogs. A well-bred Bernese is pretty docile.

They are EXTREMELY intelligent and need to be trained as well as having good mental stimulation.

As far as hair goes ... we have a Samoyed, and nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise: Samoyeds shed more than any other dog on this planet. So, IN MY OPINION, a Bernese is nothing when it comes to shedding! Yes, they need weekly brushing, but they don't shed en masse like the Samoyed does.

Considering you now live in Louisiana, take the heat there into consideration. Bernese like fairly cold weather and in the summer he should NOT be allowed to be outside for long periods of time and NEVER be allowed outside without water to drink.

When my husband gets home, I'll get him to say more about Puppe, his Bernese.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Considering you now live in Louisiana, take the heat there into consideration.
I'm learning that with our corgi. Poor guy has been laying on the tile floor instead of the carpet and walking from the house to the car gets him panting. And it's only May. His hair is short, but it sure is thick.

My boyfriend and I both dislike the area that we live in and want to move out of Louisiana asap. Ideally, we'd like to live in the Tennessee or North Carolina area (though we've also considered Atlanta), which has a much nicer climate.

Thanks for the warning, though. I didn't realize that they didn't do well in warmer climates. (then again, I didn't think a corgi would have trouble with the warmth either).

Momma to three pups:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I like Great Pyrenese. That might be another breed for you to consider.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
bernese mountain dog