Best food for a puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm a new puppy owner...and there is so many conflicting information out there!!!

It's so confusing...

Whats the best puppy food out there?

I always though IAMs..so I bought a 10lb bag...and now know it's COMPLETE crap.... =(

So I asked what's the best one at PetSmart...and they said Royal Canin

Any comments?

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah...do any of you feed raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I fed Innova Puppy Formula and I highly recommend it . Definately one of the best foods out there although I'd like to eventually feed raw.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

what kind of dogs do you have? i heard bout innova too! and raw... both seems very good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Mel

I feed Solid Gold - but my dog is a giant breed. I'm assuming their little breed food is great too though.

Petsmart doesn't usually carry Innova or Solid Gold. I get mine at Pet Care Warehouse. If you can't find those foods, I've heard pretty good things about Royal Canin cat food, so maybe the dog food is good too? I think they have a Westie specific bag? Or maybe just go with the Yorkie bag?

Good luck! I am...not a fan of Iams. :/ So yay for better food!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I really like the Nutro Natural line. Royal Canin is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I started my dogs out on Nutro Max but had a hard time finding places that sold it. Then I switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. That seems to be a good food but oh man, does Sydnee ever have some bad gas lately! So...I think I'm going to switch back to Nutro.

Rhonda

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

its funny how if you ask me about bettas or koi.... i'll tell you everything you need to know until you fall asleep on your keyboard.... or anything bout parrots....

but puppy? wow i figured it'll be easy researching...but there are so many conflicting information!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I feed Solid Gold - but my dog is a giant breed. I'm assuming their little breed food is great too though.

Petsmart doesn't usually carry Innova or Solid Gold. I get mine at Pet Care Warehouse. If you can't find those foods, I've heard pretty good things about Royal Canin cat food, so maybe the dog food is good too? I think they have a Westie specific bag? Or maybe just go with the Yorkie bag?

Good luck! I am...not a fan of Iams. :/ So yay for better food!
We feed Solid Gold, too! Natural Balance by Dick Van Patten is a really good food as well. They actually sell both of these brands at Petco if you are near one of those and it's easier. Here are the links incase you are interested, they have store locaters on their sites. Chicken Soup food is good, too.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:16 PM

I feed Nutro Max, it seems to do well with my dogs.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Elvis loves his Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul & has graduated to ChicSoupAdult. He does not have gas from it. We chose this because it has no fillers, no byproducts & no preservatives. I wont give him anything with fill/by/pres. I bake him little bone shaped treats that he enjoys also. another suggestion is that if your little one ever refuses to eat or does not feel well, give him/her a little scrambled egg cooked in non stick cooking spray *not* butter. my puppy Loves eggs.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
what kind of dogs do you have? i heard bout innova too! and raw... both seems very good!
I have a standard dachshund and an american cocker spaniel. My mom also has a cocker spaniel that she fed the same food to .

I tried Nutro once but wasn't pleased with it. Too many fillers and it made Sophie sick. We recently ran out of Innova and had to get Nutro Natural Choice and Sophie kept throwing up . Definately not a good food for a very sensitive dog, in my opinion.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM

We feed Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomach and Skin. All 3 of my dogs have allergies to some extent. Ein has bad allergies that cause him to chew on himself, Colleen has dry skin and minor allergies, and Tucker has minor allergies, bad nails, and a sensitive stomach.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Mel

Oh, lucky! Jackie, my Petco only carries the crummiest brands. It took me FOREVER to find a store that carried my Solid Gold - there's one 'boutique' in the area, but they are only open 12-4, 4 days a week - hello, I work! How do they ever get any business?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I heard good things about Royal Canin and thats actually the brand of food I use in my rat's homemade diet.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Oh, lucky! Jackie, my Petco only carries the crummiest brands. It took me FOREVER to find a store that carried my Solid Gold - there's one 'boutique' in the area, but they are only open 12-4, 4 days a week - hello, I work! How do they ever get any business?
Really Mel!? No kidding, 12-4?! How do they expect anyone to get there! And I'm sure it's far away right?! I know, at first it was so hard to find some of these foods, and then thankfully more and more places around our area started carrying it, along with Petco carrying Solid Gold. Jasmine (my papillon) had horrible food allergies to Science Diet (before we knew it was crap!) and as soon as we switched her to over to Solid Gold, there was an immediate change, she was doing great!!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, cocker spaniel, dick van patten, dog food, nutro natural choice, puppy food, royal canin