best premium dog food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

best premium dog food

My dog is eating poosicles, other animals, not her own, I am wondering if she is missing something in her diet, If she has and illness, or is doing it for attention? Whether the food I am feeding her (Nutro natural choice large breed adult) has the proper nutrition for my dog. She is a yellow lab, 13 months old, about 80lbs, hunts on the weekend, walks about a 1 and 1/2 mile everyday. The Nutro has 26% protein, 12% fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

I stopped feeding Nutro when to of mine got very sick. They were mostly eating the Ultra. The dogs I had on Natural Choice (high energy mainly) were doing ok, although sometimes getting soft stool, and some bags were full of oil or black and burnt. A few also ate their stool.

There is a number of reasons why dogs eat poop and a few theories by vets. It could be a nutrition thing, also cleaning up their area because it is too dirty (which is usually seen in puppy mill dogs), scavenging just like they eat other nasty things dirty diapers, rotten food, ect, moms have instinct to clean after pups and some believe that this is taken overboard in some dogs where they will always go and want to clean up the poop. There are other reasons too.

I have noticed that some of mine will eat stool with certain foods only. I tried one food and 5 dogs started eating it. This doesn't mean that the food is bad, it could just smell appealing to the dog I guess once its out. Because like I said some will on certain foods but then others who eat it on one food won't on another, even if a different dog does. You can put Forbid or Pineapple in her food to break this habit.

Nutro provide enough nutrition for a dog to live fairly healthy although it is heavy in grain and quality has gone down since Mars bought the company. So on the subject of best food there really isn't a best but if you want a better one there are many out there. You will have to find what works best for your dog, switching could eliminate the poop eating too but isn't a guarantee. These are just a few Wellness, Innova, Merrick, Taste Of The Wild, Fromm 4star, Solid Gold, Orijen, Evangers, Nature's Logic, Canidae, Evo, Go Natural, Artemis, Blue Wilderness, Nature's Variety, Now Grain Free, Timberwolf, Wellness Core, Horizon Legacy, California Natural, PureVita and there are more out there too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM

I also had mine on Nutro high energy, but I decided to go the grain-free route so I'm feeding Santana Taste of the Wild now. He's as healthy as ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Got any pics?

This is my Champion Santana I feed grain free also a prey model diet

Check Them Out

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
Got any pics?
Here's Santana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santana.jpg (17.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Santana4.jpg (48.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Santana3.jpg (55.7 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Betta Bomb

"spicy"---not to be intrusive here but should a pitt look like yours does in that first pic? it looks like really bony or muscely compared to santana belongning to pitsbestfreind...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:29 AM

Bil-Jac's fresh chicken protein and unique vacuum drying process combine to create the ultimate in taste and nutrition for our premium dog foods. Try Bil-Jac Super Premium Pet Foods, and in a matter of weeks you'll see your pet's eyes brighten, coat get glossier, and muscles become firmer. Equally important, your pet will love fresh-tasting Bil-Jac Super Premium Pet Foods.

nutrecare.co.uk