Bichon Frisé, Pugs, small breeds...need advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi everybody. I'm thinking of getting a dog again in the near future, a Bichon Frisé to be exact.
I recently moved and have a pet rodent family that I love. I have a house with a large backyard and lots of green in the neighborhood.
I've always had large dogs (rottweilers, dobies, scots collies, retrievers), but find I'm getting on a bit and would love a small dog who loves attention, loves to sit on my lap, and generally loves to be pampered. My uncle had a pug who I was smitten with but I'm not sure I could take snoring.
Anybody have ideas on small "lap" dogs or experience with
Bichon Frisé or Pugs, who could share with me please?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM

A Dachshund is what I suggest Or a Bichon Frise. Bichon Frises are very trainable and great companion dogs, but do you have the money to have him or her groomed a lot?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM

a boston terrier they are the most charming ever they love to be near you and love be petted and they are really great dogs i have one now he's eight years old i have had him since he was five and he is a wonderful dog, and boston terrier is a wonderful breed . mine is a lover .he sleeps with his tongue out. it's funny really
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am personally a bigger dog fan.

However Bichon Frises' do need some grooming.Here are a few websites with more info on this breed.

Bichon Frise Club of America, Inc.

BICHON FRISE - Information

What do you want in a dog? Pugs are a greyt breed too.My friend has one.Look at the pros and cons in the breeds your interested in.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Dachshunds are great but aren't really lap dogs IMO...although mine is a standard, not a miniature. But it's still a breed to consider . They love attention but also like to play and go on walks. Basically they just want to be with you...unless they have a bone .

They can be stubborn and difficult to train but then again, many small breeds are.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 PM

A friend of mine has a mini daushound and he is a honey and a half. He loves to just snuggle on the couch or take naps all curled up in his blanket
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Leo

A Bichon is a great dog for people who are used to big dogs. Because they will play catch like a big dog and behave very similar to a large dog, and most of them have a deeper bark than most toy breeds. They do not shed so you will not have hair to clean up around the house... a quick brush once a day is enough to keep the coat in check, although some people choose to keep them in a puppy cut year round which is more manageable. They are fairly easy to keep on track with weight and are a pretty healthy breed.

Pugs have a tendency to become overweight so keeping that in check at all times is important, also they have a tendency to develop Eye and Anal gland issues along with breathing difficulties all of which might require surgery. They are nice dogs but I actually consider them to be a medium sized dog not a small one, and not a lap dog.

Doxies are known to be territorial around their food, possessions and people.. Early socialization with nice children and people is VERY important with this breed. If you regularly have young children in your home I would temperament test both the parents around children as they can be nippy. They are also a breed that needs to keep their weight in check because of their length if they gain weight, it can cause them back issues the sad thing is that I see very few Doxies that are not overweight.

Of the 3 if I had a choice I would choose Bichon, based on my experiences with all 3 breeds they were the easiest for the owners to train... and they have always been the sweetest cuddliest of the 3 breeds. If you want a Lap dog with personality the Bichon is the best choice based on breed descriptions and of the 3 is the healthiest. The Bichon is on my list of dogs to own.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the links Lisa. I've always had big dogs too, but my last rottie pulled so hard he broke one of my fingers. He was a rescue. He's since been placed with a family on a farm and is doing very well. My hands aren't so strong anymore.
I've thought about the work/cost of grooming. I went to dog grooming school in the 80's so maybe I could do alot myself.
It's the Bichon Frise's notoriously cheerful temperament that's really what I want in a small dog.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Doxies are known to be territorial around their food, possessions and people.. Early socialization with nice children and people is VERY important with this breed. If you regularly have young children in your home I would temperament test both the parents around children as they can be nippy. They are also a breed that needs to keep their weight in check because of their length if they gain weight, it can cause them back issues the sad thing is that I see very few Doxies that are not overweight.
As you said, early socialization is very important but that really goes for most breeds. I think a bigger issue is where you get the dachshund. Finding a good breeder is key. Unless you're rescuing which I guess is a whole other story.

Yeah, it's sad how so many are overweight . Every time I bring my dachshund anywhere I almost always get the comment "Wow, this is the first time I've seen a dachshund that isn't overweight!".

By the way, dachshunds do have a pretty cheerful temperment as well. Or at least the ones I met did. Rocky (my dachshund) is pretty much always wagging his tail and loves meeting new people.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have met many dachshunds around here and they are usually not overweight and are really friendly!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i haven't read all the posts so maybe someone already said this..

OK not all small dogs will want to be lap dogs. I suggest going to the shelter and look at the small dogs and visit with all of them until you find one that you want that likes to sit on your lap and play with you and you connect with.

Not all dogs of a breed are the same so i can't really sugest a breed other than looks. even medium dogs are good for lap dogs or will snuggle with you.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Talking

lol...my last rottie Tiesto was a lap dog! He ALWAYS tried to get on my lap and when I told him he could lay down next to my chair...he'd plant his chin on the table edge and give me "the look".
Those big brown eyes.....*sigh*
I'm a member of 2 shelters here and I'm always looking out to place whoever I can.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:59 AM
RAT ADDICT

I love rotties!

I know not long ago there was a member here posting loads of pictures of his bichon.The dog seems really spoiled and is cute!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie61
lol...my last rottie Tiesto was a lap dog! He ALWAYS tried to get on my lap and when I told him he could lay down next to my chair...he'd plant his chin on the table edge and give me "the look".
Those big brown eyes.....*sigh*
I'm a member of 2 shelters here and I'm always looking out to place whoever I can.
Tiesto?? As in the DJ??
One of my turtles is named after him

Pomeranian,shih tzu's & chihuahuas are wicked cute too!!
But yeah,research the pros& cons of the breeds...I love itty bitty doggies (& big doggies too )
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Pugs snort a lot and have lots of medical problems so if ur a person who can't afford the dogs medical bills than the pug may not be for u. With bichon frise the like to bark a lot and can sometimes have high energy needs. Some bichons aren't the best with children.

Tags
boston terrier, lap dog, shih tzu