The Big "D"... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The Big "D"...

Brandy, my foster dog had bad diarreha today.She is housetrained, but had an accident in the house today.She went down to the door and before she could let me know she needed to go out, she just crapped all over the stairs.I don't think she could control it.Then twice out on a walk, she had exploding diarreha.However she also seemed a little constipated or sore, because both times after she did it outside, she stayed in the squatting postion and wouldn't move.

My question is, what could of caused this? There is no change in her diet and she hasn't eaten anything she shouldn't of (that I know of anyway) and also is there anything I can give her to stop or help this??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:46 PM

There are so many reasons a dog can get diarrhea, it could be nothing it could be...something really serious.

I reccomend that you call the vet.

Is she drinking water? It's important she doesn't get dehydrated.

Is she current on her vaccinations?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:38 PM

our beagle has the equivalent of i.b.s in humans (i forget the initials for dogs) but that is how it started in him. within a day or two he was pooping blood though. but yeah it could be anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
There are so many reasons a dog can get diarrhea, it could be nothing it could be...something really serious.

I reccomend that you call the vet.

Is she drinking water? It's important she doesn't get dehydrated.

Is she current on her vaccinations?
Brandy is doing good.Still eating and drinking and still active.She also hasn't had diarrhea since yesterday morning,however yesterday morning there was blood in it.I called Sheila (founder of Beagle Paws) as she needs to know anything wrong and she takes the dogs into the vet.Since it is easter the vets are closed,however she is going to have a vet tech come by sometime today to look at Brandy.

And no,she is not yet up to date on her vaccinations.She will be soon tho.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Hang in there. I am glad to hear she is still eating and drinking hopefully she won't be dehydrated.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:56 PM

I would recommend you have a fecal done. It could be due to nerves/stress, parvo, or possibly intestinal worms such as hookworms, whipworms, tapeworms, coccidia, round worms, etc. Be sure they check for giardia as well. Those are some of the more common reasons a dog will have diarreah. But if she's not current on her vaccines, keep a real close eye on her and be sure to do a parvo check. A lot of people think dogs can't get parvo past a certain age, but we've had 2-3 year old adults come into the clinic with it lately. I do hope it's nothing serious though. Keep us updated
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The vet tech didn't come by today,so Brandy will be going to the vet sometime the week.Fortunatly her stools are back to being solid.So it probably isn't overly serious,as her behaviour is normal.However I will let you all know how everything goes.

Speaking of parvo, unfortunatly it is actually going around right now...so I am worried about that,since she isn't vaccinated yet.Hopefully when she goes to the vet the week, she will get updated vaccinations.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Brandy went to the vet yesterday...there is NOTHING wrong with her, so she probably just ate something she shouldn't of.

She has a few fleas and so they gave me sentinal for that and worms...she don't have worms, but just in case...and she got her vaccinations!She is doing greyt!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 PM

Glad she's doing better!

Tags
beagle paws, vet tech