Big Problem! Please Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Big Problem! Please Help!

As I posted just yesterday, we have a new puppy to keep our pug mugsy company. The first couple of days they did great. Mugsy would either sniff and cuddle the puppy or just get tired of playing with him and ignore him. They even shared a crate and with no mishap and when he stole a bite or two of her food she just walked off and let him (remarkable for a Pug.) But last night I brought home some chew toys for both of them that were small and made of chicken and rawhide. They both loved them and chowed down. Mugsy, being much bigger, finished hers and then stole his. When he tried to get it back she growled really loud at him and snapped at him. She didn't bite him, but I've seen Mugsy put up with dogs she definitely hates without ever getting that aggressive. What's the deal? What can I do to make sure it doesn't happen anymore? It was a disaster. Pugs and Schnauzers are both sensitive breeds so the whole rest of the night the pup was sulking around because Mugsy hurt his feelings and she was sulking around because we got angry at her and hurt her feelings. I really don't want this to happen. I want them to get along and be happy, and most importantly since he's so much smaller I want him to be safe! What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs did that all the time with bones and chew toys...I just took the others away myself and gave it back, I stayed calm, didn't pick favorites and didn't fawn on any one...just took back the bone or whatever and gave it to the appropriate dog, and now they all stay with their own bones, really they will all share now except Pup and they learned to leave him alone

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Flunky Emuhead

If she snapped and did not bite it was just a warning, a dog will only bite if they mean to. When a more dominant dog takes a way a toy or a treat from a pup, or more submissive dog, it's just a fact of life. (I know, it's not fair) Mugsy was just putting the puppy back in it's place. If it continues to happen and you don't want treats stolen from each other, separate them. Perhaps put them in their crates, or if you have one crate, put the pup in the crate to finish his up. Perhaps you coud give the puppy a smaller piece of treat so it can finish as fast as Mugsy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Flunky Emuhead

I've watched all my dogs do that to each other.. Most the time one dog will walk past and just take the bone or toy from another dog as he walks by. If it seems like they are too protective or aggressive about it, I take the toy or treat away, and make it mine instead.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the advice. Nothing like that has happend since I guess she was just warning him, but we have been keeping him away from her while she has her chew bones. All in all they get along great and she's mothering him very well. It's weird where she draws her lines though. She was a mother before and he is a young puppy so he keeps trying to get up under her and nurse and she just stands there and lets him. It's very disturbing to watch a schnauzer try to nurse on a pug. I think if it was me I probably would let him have the chew toy but beat the living crap out of him for doing that. But whatever floats her boat I guess.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys