Biscuit was feeling left out.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Biscuit was feeling left out....

Just last night I was telling Alex that the rabbits are just about due for their vaccinations and that considering neither of them will let us clip their nails anymore I'd get the vet to do them while they were there (better his hand bleeding from being bitten than mine! ) and that I'd get the carry cage from my best friend on the weekend so I can take them (I still don't own a carry cage....I just used to bring one home from work when I needed one). Well Biscuit must have beel listening and got jealous cause now I have to take her to the vet this afternoon!
Just before she was licking the carpet, but one spot constantly, and nothing had been dropped there or anything so I immediately thought she was about to be sick. I called her to get her outside and she came towards me but then stopped to scratch her bum along the ground. She does this fairly often and always has...she's been checked out for everything for it but turns out my girl just really likes to mark her territory that way. So here I am, having my dog still licking like crazy, stopping to scratch her bum along the ground and I was cursing her thinking she was going to vomit on the carpet cause she wanted to make sure that spot was hers when she returned. Well she made it outside and starting scratching her bum on the verandah...I'm thinking ouch cause it's concrete but then she gave me her best lady like pose and I noticed that she is all red and swollen and there's even a little bit of dried blood..it's not her bum at all. It wasn't like it yesterday cause its really obvious and she lays on her back all the time so we always get a clear view of her nether regions and it was fine. I rang Alex to tell him that she's going to the vets this afternoon (I have an appointment at 5pm) and he said he noticed she was dragging herself more than usual before he went to work but didn't think anything of it.
Whatever is irritating her seems to have let up for now cause she's sleeping in the big crate. She's healthy in every other way (or at least appears to be) so I'm assuming it may just be an insect bite and her trying to scratch it has her all irritated but I'm not prepared to let it go and just see either...poor girl must be so frustrated!!!
So keep your fingers crossed that it's just something minor...I feel sorry for her cause I can only imagine her discomfort!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

*crossing my fingers*

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Playful Pup

for biscuit!

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Curmudgeon

Poor Biscuit..

I hope it's something simple and goes away quickly.

Thinking about some of the insects and bugs you have down there gives me a chill. Bulldog ants, Sydney Funnelwebs... that's some serious bugs!!

I hate to have one of them take a shot at MY bum!

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Bob! Thankfully I haven't seen any bulldog ants around...but we did have a huge mosquito in the house last night that we couldn't catch...oh and no spiders in this house either...especially not funnel webs, I'd be moving out if I found a funnel web!!!!!
She's sleeping peacefully in the crate right now (the door is open) and I need to go out and get a couple of things so I think I'm going to go while she seems comfortable enough.
I'll let you all know what happens!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I can't even imagine having a bite on my butthole! Eek! Poor Biscuit-Wiscuit! Give her a kissy for me and tell her I hope she feels better.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hope all is well!

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks guys..I'm taking her to the vet in half an hour. It doesn't seem to be bothering her as much but the whole area is swollen now...oh an djust to clarify, it's not her butt It's her other private part!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well we're back from the vet. Biscuit has dermatitis Poor girl!! The vet said it is either from her sitting in something she is allergic too (she hasn't been out of the yard or house since Sunday so I don't think it's that) or that her urine could be stronger and have caused it. She is still going to the toilet fine so no concerns of a UTI at this stage. She's on a course of antibiotics and I have to bathe the area twice a day and rub a prescribed ointment on it. We have to go back next week for a check up cause he said there is a concern that it can go internally and that's a big concern (he didn't go into details just said once it's internal there's big problems).
I also asked him about her age (we were told she was about 2-3 when we got her but I guessed she was older cause she is going grey) but the vet said she wouldn't be any older than 5..an exact age is hard obviously but it's good to know she's going to be around for some time yet!

Oh and my little chunka weighs 23.1 kilos which is almost 51 pounds!!! I was surprised she weighs that much but the vet didn't say she had to lose weight or anything like that which is good cause I don't think I could possibly cut her food down anymore and she gets walked about 3 times a week for an hour....which is all we can manage right now cause taking her for a walk when the sun is out would literally have her dying of heat exhaustion (even early in the morning) and I won't walk by myself in the dark...the area isn't safe!
So there's the update...hopefully this dermatitis clears up quickly and doesn't go internally cause I don't even want to think about that vet bill

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

At least you found the problem. I hope she gets well. Hope the next bill won't be high lol.

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, that is the last thing I would have thought when I read your first post! So she has dermatitis on her private part? Poor girl. I hope the antibiotics treat the problem and doesn't affect her internally.

51 pounds is a lot for a Staffy! Perhaps she is just big boned?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Poor Biscuit. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks guys. The vet bill yesterday wasn't cheap but at least they do the check up for free (unless she needs something else of course)
Denise I know! She is bigger than a standard male (in her size...minus fat! haha) so it's not as bad but still a bit too big. I have a video of her at the beach a couple of weeks ago, it shows her size really well....if I only I could figure out how to load it on the computer and if only I wasn't on dial up speed!!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Oh I forgot to add that Biscuit is being a champ! I get Alex to give her a belly rub while I bathe her and put the ointment on and she doesn't even give me a second look while I'm doing it and lays still. The vet said that she'd probably try to lick the ointment off (and he said that was okay) but she hasn't even tried. She took her first tablet really well this morning too! It did take two of us but only cause she backs up and clenches her jaw shut. Alex stood behind her so she couldn't back up and that gave me two hands to get her mouth open and give her her tablet (if you've ever tried to pry open a staffy's jaw you'll know how strong they are!!) and she didn't even try and fight us.