Biscuit troubles again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Biscuit troubles again!

Ok it's nothing serious and it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all but she has a fat lip. It's in one of the corners, so kinda like when you crack your lips in the corner on a human, that's where hers is swollen. Yesterday I pulled a scab off it (cause it was hanging off anyway) and yesterday was the first day I noticed it. I've thoroughly checked her mouth, her teeth and the rest of her gums are fine. I've felt it and it's not a lump, it's swelling, and on the outside it kinda looks dry but the inside is pink, fleshy and moist, just like it should be. I notcied yesterday that it's where her halti sits but she's worn a halti since we got her, so over a year so I can't see why it would have irritated her for now. If it hasn't gone down by Tuesday I'll take her to the vets when Milko gets neutered but any ideas as to what it is? Could it be a bite from something?

Nothing has changed in her diet or lifestyle but on Saturday we took her to the foreshore for a walk and she did have her halti on for a while but we took it off her when we had lunch to give her a break. I'm wondering if I might have twisted it or something but I do remember checking for that (I always make sure it's fitted properly) and there's no sign of a cut or anything, it's just swollen which is making me think a bite, but then why the scab? I'd love to get a photo of it but I don't have a camera so just imagine a dog with a fat lip! Oh she did eat a bag of liver treats on Friday night (thanks to Milko pulling them out of the cupboard) which she is allergic too but it's her skin that reacts to allergies by getting dry, flaky and smelly, she's never got swollen gums before.

One more question....she has started to go grey the last couple of months. I can remember Cindy starting to go grey at around 6-7 years old but Biscuit is a much darker colour and I know that humans with dark hair go grey quicker. Is it the same with dogs? She's meant to be around 4 and a half but I'm starting to question that. So I guess that's a question for people with dark brindle or black dogs? I don't care if she's older, I love her all the same, but it would just be nice to know so I can keep an eye out for health conditions that happen with old age.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Well Carm, if Biscuit is anything like Harlie, Id say it is most likely a bite...lol. Harlie likes to chase the bees around the yard, trying to catch them in her mouth...which she has suceeded in doing a few times in the past couple years...you would think she would learn when they sting her in her mouth, or on her lips, but no, she will get her benedryl, then go right back to trying to eat another one...so if Biscuit likes to catch bugs in her mouth, it could be a bite of some sort...

But like you said, it could be from the treats too, just because normally you dont give her that many, and she isnt used to that much exposure to commercial food, so it could have had a reaction.

And if you checked the Halti, I would doubt it was that, just because my three wear them and even if you put them on tight, they dont really rub on their faces at all. With my three, the only place that it would possibly start to rub is on the top of their noses, since they are so smushed...but then again Harlies nose is like Biscuits, and it doesnt bother her nose at all since its longer. So I personally dont think it could be caused by the Halti, especially if you check it.

Id just watch it for a few days and if it doesnt go away, then have her checked out...I hope it disappears fast though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks mel! She is too lazy to actually try and catch something but she does like to rub her nose in the grass so she could have got bitten by doing that. I took her for a walk yesterday afternoon and the halti has irritated it, whether that's the cause or not I don't know but it also seems looser cause the nose part came off her on the walk, when I pulled on it cause a dog came for her (she's dog aggressive on lead and I pull the halti up to keep her mouth shut) and her nose is long enough to keep it there, so I'm going to get a new one just incase. It's not bothering her at all, like I said, so I'll keep the halti off her until it goes down and just watch that's it not getting any bigger.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

tsk tsk tsk little biscuit. lol. could she have just banged her lip on something outside? sounds like something rubbed her lip cause of the scab. i've never heard of a bite scabbing, but i guess if a wasp or bee bit her it could. poor wittle thing!! i'm sure she'll be ok, though. maybe she bit her lip eating the treats cause she was eating so fast. ???

i hope she feels better! give her a big kissy wissy from aunt jane!