Biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Biting

I have an 8 1/2 week old English Bulldog and he has a real bad problem with biting flesh. I will try and play with him with a toy, and sometimes he will ignore the toy and go straight for my hand. And other times when I am just in the room, not playing with him, he will just try and bite my feet. I understand with him being a puppy he is teething and trying to gnaw on everything, but when he snaps at me, or when hit bites too hard and wont let go, I just dont know what to do. I cant tell if its coming from playing or aggression. Anyone have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM

My little girl is similar. She just likes to play. She doesn't go straight for my hand though, but isn't shy if thats the only thing to chew either. I think it is just a puppy phase and them being stubborn. Mine is a little fire ball most of the time...but can snuggle with the best of them. Maybe put some of that bitter apple stuff on your hands so she can learn that its bad to bite hands. Won't like the taste of that....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when my dogs were puppies I "yelped" if they bit me, it scared them and then I would walk away, after a few times they got the hint...but I also gave them things to chew on, they had large rawhide bones (only while supervised) Kongs with stuffing in the middle and we bought tons of rope toys. Mine also go for the feet, I have a 13 year old aussie that still does it when we are all goofing off and he wants to play to, we taught him to play gentle so it never hurts, its his way of letting us know he wants to be included.

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

yeah he will definitely snuggle with me too, its just usually when he is all riled up when he likes to bite. maybe i will try the bitter apple idea. I try "yelping" when he bites, but he will not let go or stop at all
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 PM

you should try to train them.. agree with HappyDancer try something than a toy...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

it could be a boredon thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My pup does that too. He loves to latch on to my hand and gives me red marks from his little needle teeth! I always tell him no and grab his snout with my hand and make him get on his back. That's been helping. My older pup learned not to bite from the "yelping" method. I think every pup is a little different.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------