Black vs. Shiny Black - Coat Care - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Black vs. Shiny Black - Coat Care

Every product under the sun makes promises..and there are a million and one "recommended diets" out there. I'm curious what is working best for those of you that work toward that "Soft Shiny" coat vs the standard "dog coat".

My Shephered/Lab is naturally soft... even when filthy she's a joy to pet..almost as soft as a bunny lol

My rotty pup is mostly shiny and semi-soft but it's not "really soft" or "really shiny".

I ADORE the rottweiler coats that really shine.... they are so black and shiny it gives the impression that you could possibly see your reflection in them if you tried lol....

Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? Recommended shampoos and time between using them? Extra's for the diet. I know the age old "Give them raw eggs" to help with the coat..but how many...how often? etc etc...

Thoughts?

Another issue is while Samson was in his puppy classes...even with the faithful use of advantix, we were bringing home ticks. It was a constant battle for that 8 weeks. The classes are done now and the ticks are MIA but he still has these "scab like things" on his skin... I thought they were from the ticks but it has been over a week and he still seems to get them. I don't know how to explain them but it's as if there is "dead skin matted up just under his fur". The area right now is on back of his neck just below the collar line... It's just tiny areas...and at the moment there is only one...but I'd sure like to know what it is and the best treatment for it. It's hard not to scratch and pick at them to get them out of there. His next vet appt isn't for a couple weeks yet and I'm admittedly trying to avoid bringing him in just to ask about the skin.... if it gets worse he'll go in but in the meantime..do you have any thoughts about what causes something like that? Could it be "left over tick issues"?

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Well, I don't have Rotties, but I do have pitties who's coats are quite similar...shiney, short, course if you pet them the wrong direction...To keep my dogs' coats soft, shiney, and beautiful, the first step is to NOT OVER_BATHE them. They have sensitive skin that will dry out and dull with too many shampoos no matter what product you use. We use oatmeal shampoos for dogs as adults and puppy shampoo for puppies. We bathe them about twice a year unless they get really dirty and it doesn't wash off with spraying them down with a hose. Only batheing them twice a year helps to ensure they keep those natural oils in their skin which also ensures a shiney coat. The oatmeal shampoos also help to not take the oils out of their skin when they do get baths.
In addition, we add Linetone to their food about once a week...this also helps to keep their coats soft and shiney...people are usually amazed how in just two weeks, a rescue's coat can go from gritty and dull to soft and shiney using the oatmeal shampoo and Linetone in their food. My dogs feel like "Pound Puppies" (those stuffed dogs many of us had as kids, I had a few myself) Both Linetone and Oatmeal Shampoos are easily gotten at Petsmart. Follow the amount instructions on the bottle of Linetone so you know how much to give each dog (amounts vary due to size of dog)
As far as the dead skin and scab issue...My guess is that is what it is, but I can't be sure without seeing him...when my dogs get something like that...we make sure the scabs stay clean, but other than that, leave them be to heal and fall off on their own. You can ask the vet about it if it's not gone by his next appointment, or if you would feel more comfortable, call your vet and tell them the situation and ask about it for a professional opinion

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thx for your thoughts.

Can you expand on Linetone? I did a quick search on Google and couldn't find much outside of someone else recommending the supplement but no links on where/how to get it. Is it part of a vitamin supplement...stand alone product or?

RE: Baths -- My dogs both are heavy swimmers so they are always soaking in the chlorinated pool. The rotty pup LOVES to take showers so he gets rinsed off with luke warm water about once a week. I was planning to bathe with shampoos about once every month or two.... Hadn't considered waiting even longer between baths... hmmmm

- Deb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I use eggs for my dogs since its cheaper than the linatone. I give them each one raw egg 2-3 times a week. That in addition to good food they have soft shiny healthy coats.

I use frontline for my dogs. No fleas, no ticks!!

The chlorine may be causing the dry skin issues. If it doesn't improve i'd see the vet. I also use oatmeal based shampoo.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ah HAH! linatone now I'm finding info on google

- Deb

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
I use eggs for my dogs since its cheaper than the linatone. I give them each one raw egg 2-3 times a week. That in addition to good food they have soft shiny healthy coats.

I use frontline for my dogs. No fleas, no ticks!!

The chlorine may be causing the dry skin issues. If it doesn't improve i'd see the vet. I also use oatmeal based shampoo.
I tried the eggs, but they give Orion some really rancid gas! Kali doesn't have a problem with them though, but I can't give Kali eggs and not Orion

I also use frontline for my dogs...works awsome! It even keeps me from having to treat the buns because the dogs don't bring them in!!

I agree about the chlorine...either the eggs (if your poochers don't get gas from them) or the Linatone will help tremendously. You should also rinse the dogs after each swim session...that should help too

Sorry for the spelling of Linatone...I didn't have the bottle in front of me

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is this a one OR the other type deal.

E.g. if I give them eggs...do not give them Linatone.... and if I give them Linatone do NOT give them eggs?

Is there a recommended number of eggs/how often by the size of the dogs? The Linatone I can just read the directions

Chelsea is full grown at 65lbs...

My little itty bitty rotty pup is already 50lbs and has another 40lbs to go! I must have blinked cuz I swear just yesterday he fit in the palm of my hand lol

Really appreciate the assists here... thank you

- Deb

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I would stick with one or the other, but giving both shouldn't be a problem.

I'd go with 2 a week if you give the eggs to start.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feed RAW so I dont need any sort of extras to keep my dogs coats shiny and soft. but I have noticed the differnce diet wise between black and BLACK. lol all ya gotta do is stick Happy and her mom side by side lol one fed a high quality kibble, the other on RAW, alone dynas coat looks very black and shiny, but stick happy next to her and all of a sudden dyna looks grey in comparison lol, I am not sure what axactly my mom uses to make sure the dogs coats stay shiny and soft though, I just remeber my mom saying Happys coat was getting rough so she started adding more of something to her food. not exactly sure what though, and whatever it is probibly needs the rest to help it along, alone it may not work so well I dunno though.

Shayna and the crew!

gonna miss ya Honey(Sheba) glad you back home.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

To keep Kirby's coat in excellent condition, we put salmon oil in his food (but oil from ... flax flowers (I think) works fine, too). I don't know the name of the flower oil in English, but I'm sure you can find it in the supermarkets in America.

Also, since giving Kirby buttermilk, his coat gleams in the sun--it really is pretty. I can't say it's soft, because samoyed outerhairs are NOT supposed to be soft, but if you part the outer hairs and rub the under hairs, they are very soft (reminds of me angora).

I've also seen shampoos formulated for different colours of hair. When we do bathe Kirby, we use a shampoo formulated for white dogs. Maybe you should try one for black dogs (if it's available).

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok... a trip to petsmart and I picked up a big bottle of Linatone Plus ... (of course I also loaded up on new toys, bones, treats... but we wont talk about that part to hubby lol).

Do you guys give the dog a supplement every day?

I'll let you know if I notice a difference ...I think I'm going to give the cat a supplement too because she suffers from dry skin..hopefully this will help her out as well.

Thanks again for the advice!

- Deb

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

i give it a few times a week...certain times of the year require it to be more often though

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just as an update....

The scabs I was concerned with were in fact tick related and unfortunately the problem worsened rather than got better. I have also since learned that Advantix is not waterproof BUT Frontline is .... so we're switching! I ordered the frontline from petmeds.com and both dogs will be due for their dose when it arrives so hopefully that will help a bit.... Both dogs LOVE THE POOL so I really wish I would've realized the difference between the two much sooner. I hope we see positive results from Frontline!

We've also made a push on our bug guys to spray more in the yards anything geared toward ticks. I think maybe the hurricanes have made the problem worse than it has ever been because every time the dogs go out they seem to bring ticks back with them... I'm going crazy over that lil battle...

And Finally... what I actually pulled this old thread up to report on is the Linatone...

We've been using it ever since I posted last and WOWZERS!!!!! It's really working GREAT!!! I give it to both dogs and the cat and they are sooooo soft and shiny now it's unbelievable!!!! People are even commenting on how gorgeous their coats are!

Of special note is with our cat who has always had a dander/dry skin problem but ever since we started giving her supplements of Linatone it seems to have disappeared.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I def have to agree that Linatone is some kewl stuff

- Deb